Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

anyone running the VDS Ram setup?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 02:28 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone running the VDS Ram setup?

like it says...im' thinknig about going with the VDS instead of a spec stage 5... anyone using it want to give some feedback?
Old 06-27-2005, 11:17 AM
TECH Regular

I had one in my car for a short time. It didn't last for more than 2K on the street. I think Ram is having some issues with their metallic setups. The reason I say this is I had the Power Grip HD with a metallic disc and it chewed up the pressure plate and flywheel. Also all the pucks on the disc were gone and I mean GONE. I got a VDS under a warranty deal after the Power Grip thing. The VDS had organic on the flywheel side of the disc and metallic on the pressure plate side. After about two thousand miles the metallic pucks on the disc were worn completely off and the pressure plate had a groove cut into it like it had been put on a brake rotor lathe. The organic side of the disc and the flywheel looked perfect.
The damnedest thing about it is I loved the way the Ram clutches felt. Very positive feel about them and you knew they were hooking up and holding. Little did I know they were secretly eating themselves. I hate to say it but I wouldn't reccommend a Ram to anyone until they acknowledge the problem and resolve it.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:26 PM
Banned

interesting to hear, i thought Allan Futral used the VDS in his 9sec SS t56 car, maybe it's not something that is supposed to be used in street applications...i might try a spec 5 first and see how that goes.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:30 PM
TECH Regular

I've heard several rave reviews of all Ram products and I really loved the feel of both of the ones I had. I just think they are having some problems with their metallic setups as of late. Hopefully they will get it resolved.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:18 AM
Banned

i did a little looking around just a little while ago and Allan has had his VDS in his car for almost 2 years and like 200 passes...i might just have to give him a call and see what he says. thanks for your help 99!!
Old 06-28-2005, 12:20 AM
12 Second Club

yea i had the vds w/ duals steel 910 disc on mine. i had to pull the motor and after 3700 miles the disc and flywheel were fucked.
had to take about 30 thousanths off the flywheel. im going with the 980 disc now. i hope that helps.

Kyle
Old 06-28-2005, 12:30 AM
I can shift faster than you.

I'm running the RAM 910 setup in my car and love it! The car has been down the past few months while I get the cage and suspension work done, but it will be the clutch going back in when the new motor is built.

I ran countless 1.4x 60' with it and it didn't slip a bit.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:26 PM
TECH Regular

Jason, it's talk like that that made me get the Ram and the replacement Ram. As I said before, I loved the way they felt and the way they hooked up. They just didn't last for me. I just think Ram is having some metallic issues. Talk to Shane about the carnage with both of my Ram setups. It was brutal.