Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Z06 can really haul ass!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Z06 can really haul ***!

Had a blast today at the track! Made major gains in confidence and smoothness. I consistently hit over 130mph into turn 1 there at the end with the last one being 136mph which I promptly screwed up my entry. At least I got her whoa'd down. Worked all day with Skip (the ex-C5R Trans Am series driver) and have that down shifting and braking techniques looking much better. Its amazing how tired I am now. Oh, Skip took me for two hot laps in my car and scared the **** out of me. He was 20-30mph faster at all parts of the track. He said he was driving it at 8/10ths. Did I say he holds the track record for his class at 1:22sec. Thats on a 2.5mile course with 9 turns!!

This day totally blows away the first day because you got alot of seat time while the schoolers were in class or doing something else. I used a whole tank of gas and did somewhere around 30 laps. That does not include the times I rode with Skip to watch and learn.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:41 PM
Tech Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet!!! Now get your *** to hooters Friday night and tell us all about it.

Plus it was a DRY day!! Sounds like you had a blast. I'm jealous.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:42 PM
TECH Veteran

I'll be going to the school on August 2nd... all your stories really make me look forward to it. Even if I have to steer my big fat land yacht around the track instead of a nifty Z06...
Old 06-30-2005, 12:10 AM
TECH Addict

That's cool Eric. I am glad you had fun on a dry track this time. I would love to be able to do that myself. Probably not until next year at this rate.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:14 AM
12 Second Club

Glad you had a great day.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Eric,
I'm still holding you to letting me drive your car

We finally had decent weather for this, great news you had so much fun though I can't imagine YOU were scared with someone else in the drivers seat. Kinda fun to see what the car can really do along with improving your skills as well.
Gives ya some appreciation of why your wife was screaming with you taking the corners not too long ago

Last edited by GEARHED; 07-01-2005 at 04:31 AM.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:12 AM
Launching!

you are making waiting through this next weekend even harder. Tuesday its my turn to see what a goat can do out there. I'll probably end up spending the whole day on the 4th just checking fluid levels, tire pressures, etc.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ram-it
I consistently hit over 130mph into turn 1 there at the end with the last one being 136mph which I promptly screwed up my entry.
Thats all?!?!? Remember its the pedal on the RIGHT side of the floor.

Worked all day with Skip (the ex-C5R Trans Am series driver) and have that down shifting and braking techniques looking much better. Its amazing how tired I am now. Oh, Skip took me for two hot laps in my car and scared the **** out of me. He was 20-30mph faster at all parts of the track. He said he was driving it at 8/10ths. Did I say he holds the track record for his class at 1:22sec. Thats on a 2.5mile course with 9 turns!!
I also worked with Skip. I tried chasing him through 5a & 5b when he was driving a ZO6 and about ended up in the dirt. Managed to hang with him but added a couple grey hairs to myself. Had to slow down for a bit until the jitters went away.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:29 PM
10 Second Club

Damn that sounds like fun Eric! I can't wait......

It must feel kinda funny to be 'pushing the envelope' in your car, only to have Skip get in right afterwards & drive that much faster & then say he WASN'T 'pushing it'!!!
Old 06-30-2005, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep, 5a/b are his favorite part of the track even after he went over the wall, down the hill, through the trees and onto the railroad track. Said he was knocked out for 6 minutes. He stresses getting past the spins and is good at it. As he says whats done is done now get on with it.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds like you started to open 'er up a little more this time Eric. Fun huh ?! Like you, after an open track day I'm totally exhausted/spent/done. It's all I can do to drive home I haven't been on a track in a year so I can't wait to do some laps myself, I'll be taking it pretty easy first time out ( that's what they all say ) until it starts to come back for me. You need to set up a video camera in your car though, I still like watching some of my old ones including a 5 lap "donnybrook" with a '99 Cobra with ALOT of mods that wound up having to let me on by and then I slowly put more and more real estate between us. GOOD TIMES ! haha !

BTW my favorite part of the track is T2, I love pushing hard on corner exit, swinging out to the edge of the track and hitting 4th right on the outside line and having the rear end dance around a little and then flyin' down that hill and braking as late as possible and trailbraking into T3a with the rear end right on the verge of coming around Adrenaline in buckets lol !
Old 06-30-2005, 09:54 PM
Tech Addict

can passengers ride along?
Old 06-30-2005, 10:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Rokko
can passengers ride along?
Generally speaking their policy is NO, but I recieved prior approval one time to have my older brother ride along with me for one 20 minutes session. Don Kitch told me "just go out for a couple of laps and keep it below 6/10ths OK ?" I agreed of course and it was on THAT session that I got into it with that Cobra Hey he started it, how dare he be in front of me on a race track In the in-car vid after we pull into the pits and shut off the engine the first words out of my brothers mouth ( he hadn't said much during the run ) was "THAT WAS AWESOME" !
Old 06-30-2005, 10:27 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Racehead
"THAT WAS AWESOME" !
I bet! I'd be smiling like the cheshire cat as well after a ride like that. Specially after putting the heat on a cobra then walking away from him.
So what's scenario to be able to go to lap days and pay the minimum just for track time when its open for RR. Two classes like Eric did and then just keep your license current?

This RR sure sounds like a lot of fun!
Old 06-30-2005, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Turn 2 is my favorite too! High speed going through T1 hard on the brakes, downshift to 4th, brakes some more shift to 3rd, start your line, give it some throttle and feel her bite, turn to the apex and roll into the throttle letting her drift out to the fog line and shifting to 4th before you head down the hill the 3A. I have been playing it over and over in my mind like I am still there. I now notice all the bumps and where the car unloads. I can see where the camber areas are. Walking the track through 3 and 5 made the whole day different. Its amazing how different the track looks on foot. You see things that you never knew were there.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Rokko
So what's scenario to be able to go to lap days and pay the minimum just for track time when its open for RR. Two classes like Eric did and then just keep your license current?

This RR sure sounds like a lot of fun!
Rick, just do the one day race school and then your deemed qualified to do lapping days whenever you want to, no license required. Pretty simple really . And yes, it's a load of fun
Old 07-01-2005, 04:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Turn 2 is my favorite too! High speed going through T1 hard on the brakes, downshift to 4th, brakes some more shift to 3rd, start your line, give it some throttle and feel her bite, turn to the apex and roll into the throttle letting her drift out to the fog line and shifting to 4th before you head down the hill the 3A. I have been playing it over and over in my mind like I am still there. I now notice all the bumps and where the car unloads. I can see where the camber areas are. Walking the track through 3 and 5 made the whole day different. Its amazing how different the track looks on foot. You see things that you never knew were there.
Right now, you suck.
This can be fixed of course......

I wish I wish I wish I was back in NC reading stories like this. Might have been a lifetime ago but damn, its soooooooo much fun and I understand they haven't changed "Racetrack Road" one bit since.
*sigh*
Old 07-01-2005, 08:35 AM
10 Second Club

Sounds like you're hooked Eric. That is way cool buddy! And what a car to do it with....I'm jealous!!! Like a lot of us, I think I can drive pretty good now. But I would love to take this calss. I figure it's a lot like martial arts. I used to think I could fight unitl I started sparring with 2nd & 4th & 6th degreee black belts. I'm sure this is the same way. I thought I could drive....DAMN I WANNA GO!!!