Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solid Roller stock cubed motors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 09:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solid Roller stock cubed motors?

How many do we have??? Tossin the idea around of doing something like this with this project motor im buildin...Preject Dope Huffer...
Old 06-30-2005, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Can you go hydraulic or do you not want to? Reason I ask is cause I heard hydro is better than solid roller style. Peak HP and TRQ numbers are "usually" higher but the biggest difference is how characteristics of the hydro dont fall off dramatically once the hit their peak
Old 06-30-2005, 09:33 AM
SSU Moderator

annnnyway.

Futral went 9's NA with a 346SR and a 6-speed if that tells you anything. 137mph and he's heavier than you will be I'm sure.

Futral also built one for that guy that works at GMMG (Cammin-something). He went mid-tens and 9's on n2o.

I say do it...you'll easily run mid-9's or better on N2O.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:36 AM
TECH Addict

You may as well take advantage of the rpm potential. I would build the valvetrain to handle 9500 rpm and let it rip. That's something I see no one doing with these motors.

Last edited by LOnSLO; 06-30-2005 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

is there no hydraulic steups running 9's I wasnt trying to be a dick, just trying to throw out somethin I saw a comparison on. Its cool RyanJ, just calm down a little, everything will be ok
Old 06-30-2005, 09:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LOnSLO
You may as well take advantage of the rpm potential. I would build the valvetrain to handle 9500 rpm and let it rip. That's something I see no one doing with these motors.
Thats the plan....My car weighs ~3400 with me in it...Its still going to be street driven to and from the track with less then 11.5:1 compression...Just wanting to use the extra RPMs to help ingest a bigger shot that is all. If I wanted to run mid 9's on stock cubes id have already done that by adding some heads and more fine tuning...lol I want to run deep in the 9's!
Old 06-30-2005, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Keep it posted, I'd like to know how well it works. Sounds like it would be a monster What internals do you have to get in order to run 9500RPM and not break, must be some strong **** for sure!?
Old 06-30-2005, 10:04 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 01Blackerado
Keep it posted, I'd like to know how well it works. Sounds like it would be a monster What internals do you have to get in order to run 9500RPM and not break, must be some strong **** for sure!?
Just has to be all aluminum and titanium. Nothing complicated about it.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nice, well I still want to know how that goes. I've never seen or known, personally, anyone with a V8 that spins that high before I alwayz thought the parts to get it to do so were way too expensive, like oliver-racing rods for example! Should be some cool **** though...I learn something new all the time
Old 06-30-2005, 10:13 AM
Banned

futral did NOT have a n/a 346 motor go high 9's... that was on a 250 shot! i have never heard of a stock displacement n/a car going 9's. the closest thing i've seen is thunder racing's 359 c.i. motor going 10.05. that car is nuts, but they are also right at sea level out there.

about the hyd vs. solid roller cams.... i've heard that becuase of the fast ramp rate solid cams allow, they actually are more driveable than a hyd cam of the same spec (i think this happens only when the cam specs start to get extreme) obviously the solid can take more rpm and be more stable at that rpm. but i've seen huge hyd cams spinning up to 7,400 w/ out a problem. i think you need a "rev" kit though. if it's going to be driven a lot i'd go hydraulic. if it's going to be a weekend thing and you really want the power... i'd go solid. i wouldn't mind adjusting valves everyonce it a while, but on a daily driver... yikes. that would get old quick.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by imslow
futral did NOT have a n/a 346 motor go high 9's... that was on a 250 shot! i have never heard of a stock displacement n/a car going 9's. the closest thing i've seen is thunder racing's 359 c.i. motor going 10.05. that car is nuts, but they are also right at sea level out there.

about the hyd vs. solid roller cams.... i've heard that becuase of the fast ramp rate solid cams allow, they actually are more driveable than a hyd cam of the same spec (i think this happens only when the cam specs start to get extreme) obviously the solid can take more rpm and be more stable at that rpm. but i've seen huge hyd cams spinning up to 7,400 w/ out a problem. i think you need a "rev" kit though. if it's going to be driven a lot i'd go hydraulic. if it's going to be a weekend thing and you really want the power... i'd go solid. i wouldn't mind adjusting valves everyonce it a while, but on a daily driver... yikes. that would get old quick.
I'll probably use the stock crank, with some Mahle Pistons and a Eagle rods...Rods are good to ~8200 RPM's :yup:

My goal is go fast with not alot of cubes...it can be done....Just someone needs to venture off the path and do it...Anyone ever done it with stock heads though...That sounds more of a challenge to me to make power with..I like making interesting challenges..
Old 06-30-2005, 10:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 01Blackerado
is there no hydraulic steups running 9's I wasnt trying to be a dick, just trying to throw out somethin I saw a comparison on. Its cool RyanJ, just calm down a little, everything will be ok
Yes there is, All i have to do is get to a 1/4 track and run it..lol SR just sounds more fun to me...Especially ingesting 400-500 hp worth of dope in deifferent stages...
Old 06-30-2005, 10:39 AM
TECH Addict

whatever http://www.futralmotorsports.com/fms_whatsnew.asp
Old 06-30-2005, 11:01 AM
11 Second Club

Wrong. Stop spreading misinformation.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am building a stock cube forged internal, solid roller engine. with a six speed. Im hoping to turn 7200rpm. My car only ways 2900pounds. Keep us posted.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:13 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Mike give us a call, I have a solid camshaft out of our last 347cid motor that we pulled out of the car. I also have some of the adjustable yella terra rockers here
Old 06-30-2005, 11:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Need to read a little more before you start blabbin **** about no stock displacement cars in the 9s.
Please pull head out of *** and check out www.futralmotorsports.com for more information on his NA stock cubed 6 speed in the 9s.

Thanks, enjoy your stay.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
Hey Mike give us a call, I have a solid camshaft out of our last 347cid motor that we pulled out of the car. I also have some of the adjustable yella terra rockers here
PM sent...
Old 06-30-2005, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by camrsz
I am building a stock cube forged internal, solid roller engine. with a six speed. Im hoping to turn 7200rpm. My car only ways 2900pounds. Keep us posted.
why spend all the money on a solid roller and only spin to 7200?

We are spinning our stock stuff to 7100-7200.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:37 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

V6 Bird.

Its possible to have a steet car with a decent sized solid roller to turn the RPM. We have several street solid roller lobes and race lobes to get what you need. You just have to have the setup right. If you need some advice just give me an e-mail

Yes I went 9.8 with nitrous amost 2 years ago,then with the new setup 9.9 N\A 347ci still with a 6-speed(proshifted). It is a nitrous motor setup,just never put the nitrous back on.. You might get in trouble comparing my car to "the other car" WAY to many variations. Wait till you see what my upcoming N\A 359ci runs STILL with a 6-speed