Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LTs or LS6 intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 09:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default LTs or LS6 intake

So I purchased an LS6 intake and then i was told i really wont see improvements since i have few mods with a 150 shot being my biggest mod. So what I am thinking is should I ditch the LS6 and get LTs? I am pretty sure I will see better gains on the LTs and I dont plan on doing a cam till the end of the year, possibly tax time. I wouldnt ditch the intake if it wasnt for the funding of the LTs, us poor people have to find ways to mod, lol.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would do the intake since you have it. Then save up and all the exhaust at one time. Just my .02
Old 06-30-2005, 09:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to vote/suggest longtubes upon reading the title, but since you have the intake go ahead and put it on. You will want/need it eventually, no reason to take a loss in the process. You will gain something, even on an essentially stock car. Might only be 5rwhp, but it's something, and the more you mod the more of a difference in makes. The LS1 intake majorly restricts high RPM power. I gained 43 rwhp with LS6 intake and SLP underdrive pulley (including losses from a slightly higher stall converter), but that was after I had a large cam.

Make longtubes your next major mod.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know exactly what you are saying.. The LS6 intake won't do much without a cam/heads package but its still a good mod. It would probably give you a good 15rwhp over the stock if you had a cam. So, If you are planning to do a cam swap then you should definately keep it and save up for the LT's now. But, the LT's would definately be a bigger/better mod at this point in time..
Old 06-30-2005, 09:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

"Then so shall it be", lol. Longtubes will be next. Thanks for the input.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

long tubes for sure, you dont need an ls6 intake for a cam, long tubes are a MUST!
Old 07-01-2005, 08:24 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by hourang
long tubes for sure, you dont need an ls6 intake for a cam, long tubes are a MUST!
I say you do. You don't need longtubes for a cam either, really.

I gained 43 rwhp from LS6 intake and a pulley. That means ~33 rwhp was lost from running the stock LS1 intake. I wouldn't want to spend all that money on a cam and only gain 40rwhp because the other 20-25 is being stolen by the intake.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
I say you do. You don't need longtubes for a cam either, really.

I gained 43 rwhp from LS6 intake and a pulley. That means ~33 rwhp was lost from running the stock LS1 intake. I wouldn't want to spend all that money on a cam and only gain 40rwhp because the other 20-25 is being stolen by the intake.
gaining 33rwhp from an ls6 intake is not normal, most people see around 10-15rwhp+, you have something else happening there. have you ran your car without longtubes with a cam? it is highly unadvised and does not allow the cam to produce full potential as where an ls6 intake will just add another 15+.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:46 AM
11 Second Club

gaining 33rwhp from an ls6 intake is not normal, most people see around 10-15rwhp+, you have something else happening there. have you ran your car without longtubes with a cam? it is highly unadvised and does not allow the cam to produce full potential as where an ls6 intake will just add another 15+.
How many people have installed an LS6 intake manifold after a large cam? (MS3) Most people don't gain as much because they do it in the correct order and have the LS6 intake before the cam. Before the LS6 intake the power just fell off up top, with the new intake it pulled through the upper RPM the way it should.

Even if you only lost 15 rwhp to the LS1 intake I'd still make sure to have the LS6 on there, rather than lose that 15+.

have you ran your car without longtubes with a cam? it is highly unadvised and does not allow the cam to produce full potential
No, but that sounds an awful lot like the description of running an LS1 intake with a large cam.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

How many people have installed an LS6 intake manifold after a large cam? (MS3) Most people don't gain as much because they do it in the correct order and have the LS6 intake before the cam. Before the LS6 intake the power just fell off up top, with the new intake it pulled through the upper RPM the way it should.

Even if you only lost 15 rwhp to the LS1 intake I'd still make sure to have the LS6 on there, rather than lose that 15+.

No, but that sounds an awful lot like the description of running an LS1 intake with a large cam.
i would rather loose 15hp than 30+, i have seen many many cars run cams without ls6 intakes there are many on this site, know anyone running a cam without longtubes? i do, my friend did it, and it was horribly underpowered for the size of the cam, he left at least 40hp out of the picture, he then picked up around 30hp+ with longtubes, was a night and day difference, then added ls6 intake later on and yes it picked up some but it not like the long tubes felt like 10-15hp. i dont doubt the ls6 intake is definately something you want with a cam, but dont go around saying its better to have that over long tubes...
Old 07-01-2005, 09:06 AM
11 Second Club

i dont doubt the ls6 intake is definately something you want with a cam, but dont go around saying its better to have that over long tubes...
I didn't say it's better to have than longtubes. I said:

I was going to vote/suggest longtubes upon reading the title, but since you have the intake go ahead and put it on. You will want/need it eventually, no reason to take a loss in the process. You will gain something, even on an essentially stock car. Might only be 5rwhp, but it's something, and the more you mod the more of a difference in makes. The LS1 intake majorly restricts high RPM power. I gained 43 rwhp with LS6 intake and SLP underdrive pulley (including losses from a slightly higher stall converter), but that was after I had a large cam.

Make longtubes your next major mod.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

shoot i gained 20+ rwhp on a STOCK car by adding long tubes, and that was without getting a tune afterwords either. imagine a cammed car without them, its not pretty.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't say it's better to have than longtubes. I said:
if he keeps the intake he wont be able to afford longtubes and a cam, by selling the intake and added a couple hundo he can have a 20+hp increase instead of 5-10hp, since ls6 intake on a stock car does not do much, and then can have a lot faster car until he can afford the cam and then it will be a beast. then when he gets the $300 saved up again for an ls6 intake he can get his 10-15hp. putting the ls6 intake on first is half assed backwards since youll have all this intake but no place ffor the exhaust to go.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:21 AM
11 Second Club

PSYKOZ28: If your intentions are indeed to get a cam ASAP then sell the LS6 intake to put the money towards longtubes, then a cam, and get the LS6 intake sometime after the cam, whenever money allows.

I still recommend keeping the intake and just saving a little longer for the longtubes and then a cam though.

After all, if money is tight (which it is for many of us) I see no reason whatsoever to take a loss by turning around and selling the intake. You WILL be buying one in the future if you don't keep this one.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

quit bitching...he is going to keep the LS6 intake - it is a worthwhile mod for maximizing any motor's potential - and he has decided to save up for the longtubes as his next mod

you can run a h/c combo on any car - without the supporting mods (full exhaust & intake), you won't be able to maximize your combo or get it to run right...period
Old 07-01-2005, 11:35 AM
TECH Regular

I think you should get LT's on A.S.A.P. I think this because you are spraying a 150 shot of nitrous. With that extra fuel and n20 in the cylinder you're gonna want it to get out easily.