Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Questiong re setup in C5

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 08:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Questiong re setup in C5

I've been out of the audio seen for so long I don't know what is good anymore. I'm thinking of going this way.

H/U - Avic 1 or 2

Components - MB Quart QSD 213 for the rear and maybe the 6.50 QSDs for the fronts.

Woofer - 10w7 (is this a good choice?)

Amps - JL 500.1 for woofer, not sure what kind for the components.

Am I on to something here? Are there better things out there? Are these trash?

I am not looking to just spend money I don't have to have a high dollar system. I will however but a piece here and there if the right stuff is expensive when I can afford it. The system I am looking for is very loud and very crisp with hard hitting bass. I am not really looking for the long drawn out "club music" souding bass. I want hard, knock a filling out, crisp and clear sound.

The best sounding system I ever owned was in an Eclipse. The car has amazing acoustics and I acheived it with a Sony h/u, Punch components, Punch amps and believe it or not, 2 10" bazookas. The sound was amazing. Of course, that was back in the late 80's, early 90's.

A 10w7 would be going into one of the subthump boxes. Does it actually need more space than the 1.1 that box provides? Alternatively, should I go back with 2 10" Bazookas for the C5?

Thanks!
Old 07-02-2005, 09:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Damn. Can't believe nobody has answered a post like this.

Looks like your ready to drop some series cash. NICE headunit. I *think* the Avic 1 does not play any DVDs except the nav DVDs. Just a note if you didn't notice. Are you strickly looking for a navigation headunit? Or strickly flipout touchscreens? The reason I ask is because they are mostly for show or navigation purposes. They are VERY nice, but audibly, there is better out there for A LOT less cash. If you're not a full blown audiophile though, you may not notice the difference. Whatever floats your boat.

Can't really make a comment on the components. Haven't heard them for an extended period. Take several CDs to local shops and spend some real time listening to their flagship lines. Those Quarts are no doubt bada$$, but think I'll throw out a few other guys for you to look at.
Focal
DLS
Rainbow
CDT
Image Dynamics (watch the horn tweets)
Brax or Helix
Moral
And believe it or not, Alpine's X series.

Subwoofer. The W7 is a great choice. (Also check out the RE XXX) But I don't think you'll be knocking any fillings out with that setup. lol I understand you're not looking to pop ear drums, but it still sounds like you're looking for some real bump. Will a single 10" be enough for you? Maybe a single 12"? I'd avoid the Kicker L7's. Not the best SQ sub around. (that's being nice) Oh, and Bazooka sucks now. lol Just thought you should know since your looking at high end gear.

JL Amps. Not a real fan. Nice, don't get me wrong.... but nothing real special. High price tag for what they are. Most of the component companies mentioned above make amplifiers as well and are truely audiophile quality. What ever you decide on, try to keep it matching. Both amps matching is a must. If they match the sub and/or components, that's an even bigger bonus. I can't stand it when every single piece of gear looks completely different then the other installed. Frankenstein system. I realize some companies are better at some products then others, but for the sake of clean installs, match as much as possible.

Make sure you buy all your gear from an authorized distributor. Avoid Ebay like the plague. You have the money. Spend it on retail so you'll have a warranty to back you up if need be. Or just for plain customer support. You won't find some companies in your local shops. Check out their website for authorized distributors. You may be able to buy directly through them online. Just watch out. That's all I'm saying. Don't let someone rip you on that much cash.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:38 PM
Launching!

I have to agree with what firebirdude said, mostly anyway, I personally have a full JL system and it sounds wonderful, including XR 6.5 components, XR 6.5 coaxials, 10w7, and a JL 500/1 and a 300/4 to power everything. For a HU, I personally have been a fan of Kenwood and previously had a KVT-815DVD, but alas I needed money for a speeding ticket (113 in a 65) and had to sell it. A single 10w7, properly powered and in a good box, will POUND if you want it to, or be quite mellow. The main thing I would consider on the sub is size. So you should ask yourself a few questions:

1. What type of music do you listen to the most?
2. How much space are you willing to take up (and are you willing to spend the extra money on a custom fiberglass box to maximize space)
3. Do you like ultra piercing highs, or do you prefer a more mellow note?

If you figure out the answers to these questions and take them with you to your dealer, they will help you find the right speakers and subs for your particular needs. And a matching pair of amps that will power them perfectly.

And that's my two cents!
Old 07-02-2005, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the replies! I've looked at (somewhat) the focals and the cdts. I may end up dropping the cash but I want to do it a piece at a time. I really can't afford to drop it all at once. I just don't want to buy the wrong **** and discover it later.

As far as music, I listen to stuff like Ozzy, the Crue, etc. Not much rap, if any and none of that pop crap that's out nowadays.

As far as the h/u, I would really like the navigation, that would be cool but if I am going to sacrifice a lot of sound to have it I might reconsider. Don't really care about watching a movie in the car either.

I'd consider a 12 but it is my understanding that the 10w7 will kick as hard as a lot of 12s. I am limited with space as I do not want to build a monstrosity of a box in the back since I do take the car to the track.

I like very loud crisp clear music (doesn't everyone) and when the bass hits I want to feel it. I'm not looking for competition stats but would still like loud.

Thanks again for you responses!
Old 07-02-2005, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

here's my .02 cents.
if you are going to run a w7, put an amp on it bigger than the 500. good sub, but my choice would be a diff one. brax is $$$$$, helix isn't too bad. BUT.......you would have to find some that are left in the country, and on top of that, warranty will be hard. brax/helix kicked the importer to the curb as of a couple weeks ago. not sure if they picked up the other importer i reffered them to, i haven't talked to them about that.
dynaudio has high end sq subs and components.
crystal has good components and subs, damn good for the $$$. especially their new components and coax's.
us amps is another for amps from entry level to top of the top on high end.
treo has some butt kicking subs and amps also. tsx would probably be on par for your needs. they underrate their equip.
i'd steer away from re and rainbow didn't meet up to their hype either. cdt, ehhh, can get them cheap on line, but go after the upper end if you do that.
dls- good line all the way around, amps, subs, components.
there's a lot of good apples to choose from.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:17 PM
Launching!

On a 10w7, they can definately use more power than the 500 that the JL amp puts out, but it still sounds wonderful.. This is the combo that I have.. It sounds great at all volumes and is ultra crisp and loud as long as the hatch is closed. (with it open it gets a little quiet, but that is to be expected)
Cajundude, for the type of music you like to listen to, I would definatly recommend a 10" sub, becasue they will have a quicker response (generally) and hit harder rather than lower.
Old 07-03-2005, 01:47 AM
On The Tree

one guy i compete against, runs 2 w7 13's. we have become friends, since neither of us are bias trash talkers like a lot of draggers (well, i have my bias's, but i will admit it if i am commenting on something out of spite). i couldn't make it to a comp, so i let him borrow 2 of my autotek mx5000's. they did him 3 db's more than some crossfire's he had at one time. due to the coil impedance, i'd say each sub got around 2kw. they come alive with power, as he did a 150 on the TL in a suburban after we tweeked and tuned. did a 150.1 at the comp @ 41hz, and his box isn't pure spl.
when he was running about 2kw (1 kw ea) with his eclipse amps, he did a 145. another competitor runs 2 w3 12's off a jl 1000.1 and does 145. that is why i say if you buy a monster sub, you better put some power to it. because you will able to do the same with less $ if you don't. but if you just like the sound of a 7 over a 3, then that is a diff story.
Old 07-03-2005, 04:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Cajundude
As far as the h/u, I would really like the navigation, that would be cool but if I am going to sacrifice a lot of sound to have it I might reconsider. Don't really care about watching a movie in the car either.

I'd consider a 12 but it is my understanding that the 10w7 will kick as hard as a lot of 12s. I am limited with space as I do not want to build a monstrosity of a box in the back since I do take the car to the track.
As I said, unless your an audiophile and will be using tons of extra features (such as time correction) you won't notice a difference. If you don't mind spending the cash and are really gonna use the navigation feature, then by all means, go for it. Look for ATLEAST 2 pair of RCA preouts and as high on the RCA voltage as you can find. Most only sport 2V, but if you can find 4V go for it.

And yes, the 10W7 is suppose to have nearly as much cone area as a regular 12" sub. But I meant, will THAT even be enough for you? Maybe a 12W7 with the displacement of a 15"? Since you don't listen to Rap/R&B, my guess is that the 10W7 will fill your tastes. And again, you really seem to be into all out SQ so the W7 is one of your best choices. A 1000/1 would be right at home with a W7. I personally I'm not a JL amp fan, (as I said), but maybe an entire JL audio setup?
Old 07-03-2005, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

just remember, there are quite a few 10's that hit like reg 12's. but if 10's hit like 12's, 12's hit like 15's, then maybe we need to reasses how a 10, 12, and 15 should hit. after all, the W7 was the sub to beat, like 6 years ago or so. there others now that put it to shame, jl just spends more $ on advertising than they do. but it is still a very respectable sub.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 95stroked1500
just remember, there are quite a few 10's that hit like reg 12's. but if 10's hit like 12's, 12's hit like 15's, then maybe we need to reasses how a 10, 12, and 15 should hit. after all, the W7 was the sub to beat, like 6 years ago or so. there others now that put it to shame, jl just spends more $ on advertising than they do. but it is still a very respectable sub.
I'm talking stricky cone area. And as for SQ, aren't too many topping the W7. But above all, remember it's all in the box.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

installation (meaning box too), yep.
crystal comp and compX2
treo tsx, ssi, ssx
mtx 9500
you would not believe the amount of people who hear a certain guy roll up and ask "damn, are those W7's?" he laughs every time, he's running 2 tsx 12's. i hear his stories about every 2 weeks when he stops by. he lives in jl country.
there's lot's of super subs that are on par and over jl. but there is also the subjectiveness as to which sounds better to what people. different strokes for different folks. if you get a chance, listen to some of those others. it'll suprise you.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:34 AM
On The Tree

Excellent responses! Thanks!