Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Is my Alternator going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 03:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my Alternator going bad?

Lately my voltage gauge has been showing my car running around 13 volts. My car wouldn't turn over a couple days ago after leaving the stereo on for a long time. Checked the battery, and it had a bad cell. Dropped in a new battery, but noticed that with the new battery I was still sitting around or just under 13volts with the car running. Turning up the stereo and the air conditioner would make it drop a little bit more.

Is this a sign that my alternator is shot? What are my options for replacements/upgrades? Could it be something else? Is it easy to replace these? Do I need any special tools?
Old 07-01-2005, 03:18 PM
Teching In

I've been wondering the same. Mine runs a bit over 13v without the AC on and right on or under 13v with the AC on. I figured it was just because my car has an underdrive pulley on it, but if there's a chance it's a bad alternator I'd rather replace it now and be prepared!
Old 07-02-2005, 12:38 PM
12 Second Club

Now, the car runs at 14.4 on start up, but with the stereo on, which has 2 small amps pulling from it, the car drops to about 13, then with the AC on, it'll drop down to about 12.8 or so. Any suggestions guys?
Old 07-02-2005, 12:52 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Basically when the alternator goes, the volts will drop slowley. Basically until your car dies and theres nothing left. Might want to replace the alternator with a more powerful one?
Old 07-02-2005, 01:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 98PaceCar
I've been wondering the same. Mine runs a bit over 13v without the AC on and right on or under 13v with the AC on. I figured it was just because my car has an underdrive pulley on it, but if there's a chance it's a bad alternator I'd rather replace it now and be prepared!

I had the same problem, killed one battery, and then the alt, and i just replaced the alt and the battery was free cus it was under wuarentee. So well see.

If something dies again, im ethier puttin on an alt pully or taking off the ASP and puttn on the stocker.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I have a similar problem too. I replaced the stock AC delco Batt and had my stock alt rewired to a 150amp alt. I did this so I could drop in my new system (components and a single '10) But after i finished everything my gauge would be normal like 14.4 but drop down at idle to like ..13? with the AC on, it'll drop even more to 12. I'm really not going to be happy if I do have to replace my alt, shows that I got jipped or something. 98pacecar said it might be the underdrive pulley? Would this fix our problems?
Old 07-18-2005, 02:43 AM
On The Tree

Had my alternator go out tonight. After we jumped the battery and started it, I watched as my voltage dropped down to 0 in a hurry. Yours sounds like its starting to wear down so I'd keep an eye on it and/or replace it soon.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

This may sound starnge but I thought mine as doing the same thing, I then found my gas cap loose. That caused a lack of gas pressue therefor efuel wasn't making it to the engine and so forth. Tighten up the gas cap and pressure went back up and alternating started working better. I know it sounds weird but I actually read that somewhere in my owners maunal.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:51 PM

Where could a guy get an enhanced alternator for a 99' Fbody? Does bosch make one?
Old 07-18-2005, 08:17 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Originally Posted by sawedoff
Where could a guy get an enhanced alternator for a 99' Fbody? Does bosch make one?
I see some on ebay every once in a while. Other than that I dont know.