Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help with my clutch install....

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with my clutch install....

hey guys. before i get started i want to say that i did a search for this but could find anything that would help me. i bought a RAM Powergrip HDX clutch and have since had the stock flywheel resurfaced and the pressure plate balanced with the flywheel. the reinstall went as good as could be expected but now that it is back in when i go to bleed the clutch i get nothing. it keeps squirting out fluid so i know that it is bleeding it but it will not build up pressure. i had my slave cylinder replaced back in dec and it looked good while i had it out. it is now leaking like it did when the slave went out. is there any way that i could have messed up the slave on the reinstall or do i need to go with a aftermarket one since i bought a aftermarket clutch? i would really appriciate any feedback i could get.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:13 AM
TECH Regular

Is the clutch fully engaged? ie can you move the car in gear or start it in gear? Sounds like an over extended slave cylinder.
Old 07-03-2005, 07:17 AM
On The Tree

oh yeah i forgot to mention that after i got the clutch in i let the car down and drove it out of the drive but the pedal was all the way to the floor so that's when i decided that the slave needed to be bleed. after i started bleeding it i got the pedal to come almost where it should be but then i lost pressure again and haven't been able to get anything again. i've gone through a big bottle of break fluid. thanks for the reply.
Old 07-04-2005, 05:32 PM
On The Tree

ttt. anything you guys can think of for me to try to figure out what the problem might be? any help is welcome.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

you know if i didn't want anyone's opinion i would get posts like crazy. all i'm asking for is if anyone has any ideas of what i could try. while i was bleeding my slave i let the fluid run out. do you think that there could be traped air in the master? would bleeding the slave get air out of the master? i'm thinking of trying a mityvac but don't wanna spend the money if it won't fix my problem. any help is again welcome
Old 07-05-2005, 09:38 PM

Keep trying man. it sounds like air is getting in somewhere. I once spent 3 days bleeding my clutch
Old 07-06-2005, 08:25 AM
TECH Regular

Your clutch pedal should come up off the floor if the pressure plate diaphram is fully releasing. Your slave should be compressed by this action
forcing fluid back into the master. In your case the fluid is not coming back into the master but is leaking out inside the case, either from the slave seals, the quick disconnect or where the bleeder or quick disconnect shaft meets the slave.
I blew out a brand new (old version) slave on my install beacuse it was overextended as a result of my pressure plate diaphram fingers not fully releasing. This was because I didn't adjust the OEM pressure plate ring as per the shop manual. I'm not sure if your pressure plate has a similar adjustment.
The other alternative is that your slave was borderline to begin with and the stronger pressure plate you installed could not be compressed by the weakened slave.
The slave also might have built up too much pressure because your master was not allowing bleedback either because it was clogged or mechanically malfunctioning. I find this alternative explaination remote though.
My recommendation is to drop the trans, make sure the pressure plate doesn't need to be adjusted and replace the slave with the new version.
Good luck
Old 07-06-2005, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

thanks for all that info redmist. a buddy of mine told me to try taking the lid off the master and with the bleed valve closed pump the clutch untill the clutch starts to engage. so i tried this and got a little bit of pressure. drove it out of the drive way and then back in to make sure everything was compressing and releasing. everything seemed fine except that the pedal was about a inch off the floor before it engaged the clutch. so i took the lid off again and pumping the clutch. that time it worked perfectly. i've got full pressure. the pressure feels like it used to and it runs great. i do have one more question though. i wouldn't have pressure if there was something wrong, would i? i.e. slave overextended, pressure plate not adjusted right(i didn't adjust anything. didn't know to.)? it feels great right now but i don't want to lose pressure 35 miles from my house and not be able to drive home. thank you very much for you help so far.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:21 AM
TECH Regular

Great News. Based on the current state of things it sounds like you just has air in your master. What concerned me was the fast that you said you were leaking fluid from inside you bellhousing. Maybe it was just dribbling from your open slave bleeder?
If your clutch was engaging up high like 2 or 3 inches I would be concerned. An inch off the floor sounds perfect to me.
Just be aware of fluid leaks and maybe rebleed the slave now that the master seems to be ok and I think you are golden.
Now go beat that bad boy!
Old 07-07-2005, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

thanks for all you help redmist. i really appriciate it. i drove it about 20 miles today and everything shifted fine and no leaks anywhere. as for the bellhouseing dripping fluid, i think that your right on that. when i let my car down off the jack stands a stream of fluid came out of the bellhousing. i think it was just puddling up in there. again thanks a bunch. i'll fell much better driving her tomorrow.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:24 PM
Teching In

Default Zac......beware

Doode, that fluid is oil. Oil in the bellhousing is not a good thing. It gets on your clutch disc and glazes, slips, and then you've got problems. Clean that sh... out of there quick.