Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

subwoofer stops playing then starts again

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 09:55 AM
MBB
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry subwoofer stops playing then starts again

ok i got a Kicker 12" cvr 400RMS 800Peak and a pioneer 760W (380RMS) pushing it i've had it for around 2 months yesterday i was coming home and it quit playing then came back on i keep the bass in the normal range and i wasn't playing it loud or too loud i pulled off and watched it, it will sometimes stop playing or start playing really low then it starts hiting again the amp light stays on i checked all the connections when the sub hits my interior lights dim and flicker with the music, i went out this moring and played it it didn't do it but it didn't seem like it was playing as loud as normal, do i have a bad sub could it be a amp problem or a electrical problem
help please
thanks in advanced
Old 07-04-2005, 10:37 AM
TECH Addict

when the sub hits my interior lights dim and flicker with the music
How bad do they flicker? Your amp might be heating up and shutting off cooling down and coming back on. I have had this problem before. My lights didn't flicker, came down to it, it was my amp.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:47 AM
Teching In

How big is the power wire running from your amp to the car battery? Needs to be 4-5 gauge, also is your battery fairly new? Sounds like your amp isnt getting enough juice to it.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

I had this same problem and ran a thicker power and problem solved. You might want to look into this.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:26 PM
MBB
Teching In

My power cable is 5GA, my lights dim by about half, the batterie is 2 years old, and that amp get hot i mean hot enough to melt a walmart bag, the amp in brand new could the sub be going bad, and if i'm not geting enough power the the sub do i need to get a capactor, thanks
Old 07-04-2005, 02:51 PM
TECH Addict

Do some checking on the battery. Running 5g power cable should be alright.
You will need the use of a voltmeter for this.
Start the car, everything turned off (a/c, radio, etc..) and check the voltage of the battery.
Make sure you have above 13 volts.
Turn on the A/C and recheck the volts.
Then turn on the radio, and check the volts again. With the bass going you will have some voltage dropping, but should not be alot.
If you have alot of fluctuation, then you need to have the battery checked and alternator as well.

Amp is gettting hot for 2 reasons:
1. You are not getting enough power to it, when it needs it (mainly when the bass is playing). Which will make the amp get really hot, and start shutting on and off.
2. The amp is seating in a spot where the sun beats down on it, and it gets hot to the point where all the components in the amp are hot and does not want to work properly.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:28 PM
Launching!

It sounds like the wrong ohm load to the amp, and it is getting overloaded.. Is the sub a dual 4ohm? If I am thinking of the right amp (2 channel), and you have a DVC sub, then you probably have it bridged. This is creating a 2ohm load which would overload the amp and cause it to overheat and shut off until it cools down. Your amp can only handle a 4ohm load in bridged mode.

If all I said is true, then you need to run the voice coils in series to create a 8ohm load (which will drop the rated power in half approximately), buy a new sub, or buy a new amp.

Sorry to hear about your dilemma.

Last edited by BlkTARebel99; 07-04-2005 at 10:59 PM.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:24 AM
TECH Junkie

my friend has 4 10's in his Lightning and 2 crossovers and some other stuff, and his will cut out if the bass hits too hard because he has something called a batt-cap or something, instead of a reg capaciter. get a 1farad cap and you should be good.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:47 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds to me like the internal power supply unit in the amp is bad. I've seen this problem a few times, even happened to me once with a MTX amp. It would hit really hard, then barely hit at all (would still be working, but barely). And yes the amp would also be getting hot from this...
Old 07-05-2005, 04:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MBB
and that amp get hot i mean hot enough to melt a walmart bag, the amp in brand new could the sub be going bad
If that amp is getting that hot... then it definately sounds like it is being overloaded... a 2 ohm load on a 4 ohm stable (bridged) amp
Old 07-05-2005, 09:01 PM
Teching In

If the problem turns out to be the amp, which im sure it is....go with a phoenix gold amp. I've used their products for years now and never had a single problem. Their amps and subs are top notch and not too expensive for a budget.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:24 PM
MBB
Teching In

Originally Posted by MadIceV8
Sounds to me like the internal power supply unit in the amp is bad. I've seen this problem a few times, even happened to me once with a MTX amp. It would hit really hard, then barely hit at all (would still be working, but barely). And yes the amp would also be getting hot from this...
That is exacly what was happen but to day i went out and played it, played it loud louder than i have ever done and it was fine and sounded great, Its almost as moody as my ex
Old 07-06-2005, 11:18 AM
TECH Regular

check ur ground..it sounds like it is loose...mine did that and i couldnt figure out what it was..till i saw the ground wire was alittle loose and it would lose contact everynow and then when the subs hit

Quick Reply: subwoofer stops playing then starts again