Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

ran an STI and a Viper...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 01:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ran an STI and a Viper...

well there is this guy that a couple of my friends know and he is so fing annoying. all that this kid talks about is his STI and how fast it is(took it to the track and ran a 14.5). at any rate he talks all kind of **** about how his STI can smoke my SS. well on the 3rd on my way home from work i happened to see him. he has mods like exhaust and an intake etc. there was traffic so i was not interested in a race for .5 secs so i threw him a rev and nodded. he did the same and then started that weaving and bobing through traffic like a jerkoff antics and that pisses me off but i let it slide i was not in the mood to catch him.

eventually i did end up catching up to him and we got side by side for a little run at about 55 i looked over and dropped it. he took off and i gave him the hit, i let me take about 1 car on me before i started to go. by the time i slammed third i was walking him bad like he was standing still( i gave him thumbs down as i was pulling on him and proceeded to leave him. i had about 2 cars on him by about 90. i let off and eventually we evened out and i just shrugged like "what happened?" he shrugged back. then we were at a light where i was turning off and he yelled to me give me a week! or whatever...

i later thought about the thumbs down thing because i am ALWAYS curteous when i race someone regardless of what they drive. i am quick to compliment and say nice things. definately a fair sport. but this kids **** talking and weaving and bobbing though traffic pissed me off. was i wrong for the thumbs down? in all honestly i think STIs are pretty nice and have potential, but this guy...

Then later that night i went out with some buddies, one has a boxter, one has an air cooled 911, and the other an 03 srt 10 viper. i raced the viper and i think that i am a much better driver, but he walked me pretty bad. althoigh i think everyone was impressed by how well the SS actually help up.

another side note. that damn boxter, although not extremely breakaway fast, can really eat up some wicked turns at 60+ mph without even sweating i was impressed.

well just though i would share.

Louie
Old 07-06-2005, 02:08 AM
pdd
TECH Veteran

I would have gave a thumbs down also for driving through traffic like a dick head. i guess i shouldnt through stones though cause i used to drive like a dick on my crotch rocket when i was in my early 20's
Old 07-06-2005, 07:44 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say thumbs down was good for that guy. If you drive like a ***** and then can't win a race, you don't deserve a thumbs up. If he beat you, I still would question the thumbs up.....especially since he's always talkn trash.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Boxsters are fun to drive and can DEFINITELY carve a corner, but the base models are so lacking in the power department, it totally makes it pointless to spend over $40K on a brand new one: you're best of spending $20K on a nice and used '98-'99 model with low miles. The Boxster S's are much quicker, but still not enough to justify their "more expensive than a new 'Vette" price either.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Why is the kid's STI so slow? Are you sure its a real one and not a fixed up WRX? They run mid to low 13s stock and the bottem end is good in stock form too. BTW I just picked one up for a daily driver.

another side note. that damn boxter, although not extremely breakaway fast, can really eat up some wicked turns at 60+ mph without even sweating i was impressed.
You should have messed with the STI in the turns.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:12 PM
TECH Resident

Because an STI's suspension and AWD isn't going to be enough unless it's on a road course. They don't have the greatest top end power/speed due to the AWD setup, so the SS could easily walk it from a roll and probably outhandle it on the streets too, since they're not set up like a course. Don't think the fbod's can't handle
Old 07-06-2005, 07:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

you werent wrong giving him a thumbs down if he was a jackass who thought he was so fast and talkin ****....i can see talking **** if you're trying to get a guy to race you but when it is out of someone not knowing any better it pisses you off good kill
Old 07-06-2005, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Talkin **** and just raggin on someone is different. If he was talkin **** I woulda done the same thing. And talkin **** to an LS1 is just stupid cuz they're way to easy to make fast. I screw around with a friend of mine but thats just cuz I wanna motivate him to fix his damn car.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bandit Z
Because an STI's suspension and AWD isn't going to be enough unless it's on a road course. They don't have the greatest top end power/speed due to the AWD setup, so the SS could easily walk it from a roll and probably outhandle it on the streets too, since they're not set up like a course. Don't think the fbod's can't handle
Even on a roadcourse, FBodies shine EXTREMELY well (it's been proven many times). Stock for stock, only on an auto-x course would an STi most likely hand it to an FBody if one driver drove both cars at equal levels, because the smaller/slower the corner, the more advantage goes to the STi/similar cars, but on a road course where horsepower is actually involved (auto-x just needs good balance and handling for the most part), FBodies will outgun many cars that people would think they couldn't.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wish more people just line em up instead of being a pu$$y and weaving in and out through traffic.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:53 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TransAm52804
Even on a roadcourse, FBodies shine EXTREMELY well (it's been proven many times). Stock for stock, only on an auto-x course would an STi most likely hand it to an FBody if one driver drove both cars at equal levels, because the smaller/slower the corner, the more advantage goes to the STi/similar cars, but on a road course where horsepower is actually involved (auto-x just needs good balance and handling for the most part), FBodies will outgun many cars that people would think they couldn't.
i hate when people think that our cars can't handle just becuase they're pimarily setup for the 1/4 mile
Old 07-07-2005, 04:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 Camaro SS
i hate when people think that our cars can't handle just becuase they're pimarily setup for the 1/4 mile

why hate it? just show them otherwise and feel good about it
Old 07-07-2005, 08:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

I dont want to be a dick but you guys need to wake up. The F-body has been out of production and its performance levels are falling down the rankings fast. I am as hard core as they get about the f-bodies but until you drive one of these new cars you just dont have a clue as to how they perform. Take it form some one that just put a ton of $$ into a thirdgen. Just take a look at some of the HP some of these SUV are making. The new Durango that my dad just picked up has more HP then the last F-bodies produced. Its sad but the world keep spining and new cars always out peform the old ones. If you think a stock F-body can out perform a stock STI on the twisties please take your head out of your butt.

so the SS could easily walk it from a roll
What happened about running from a dig? Hell I could talk crap about how bad the F-bodies would loose in the snow. lol

Last edited by YsoFast; 07-07-2005 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by YsoFast
I dont want to be a dick but you guys need to wake up. The F-body has been out of production and its performance levels are falling down the rankings fast. I am as hard core as they get about the f-bodies but until you drive one of these new cars you just dont have no clue as to how they perform. Take it form some one that just put a ton of $$ into a thindgen. Just take a look at some of the HP some of these SUV are making. The new Durango that my dad just picked up has more HP then the last F-bodies produced. Its sad but the world keep spining and new cars always out peform the old ones. If you think a stock F-body can out perform a stock STI on the twisties please take your head out of your butt.

What happened about running from a dig? Hell I could talk crap about how bad the F-bodies would loose in the snow. lol
You're a jackass. If you've been on here long enough to rack up all those posts then you'd know that all ls1 f-bods are underrated from the factory. My car put down 323hp at the wheels when it just had a flowmaster catback. That equals at least 380hp at the crank which is way more than your daddy's Durango. Who cares how much hp that thing has when its hauling around 6000lbs.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ouch that hurt! Why don’t you educate yourself a little bit before you open your mouth. I love the car boards that have people that are ALL about one make or build and they think that those cars are gods. I was just pointing out the HP numbers from back in the day are not much by today’s standards. I didn’t say the Durango could out run anything. I just find it funny that the soccer moms are driving around SUV with higher advertised HP ratings than performance cars from a few years ago.

My car put down 323hp at the wheels when it just had a flowmaster catback.
I guess that is something to be proud of. I will mention this to my engine builder that is building my 383 LS1 maybe your information will help be make it to the same power level.

Maybe you took my post the wrong way because you dont know me. I didnt think I said anything to get you all pissed off. Maybe you should start talking crap about my Iroc if it will make you feel better.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe his sti ran a 14 because the kid didnt clutch dump from redline off the line? BTW I dont see how f-bods are falling off, what else is there? 03 cobra that runs a 12.8ish with a good driver? Sti and evo that CAN run a low 13 if you risk breaking it when you launch it? Oh yeah the new 05 mustang which is a challenge for an lt1 but will still loose to a stock one? So in the price range where is the car that is knocking us down the ranks?
Old 07-07-2005, 11:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

I like how you pulled out the price range question. Why don’t we just talk about performance cars in general? Dodge came out with a SRT line that is quick and half the vehicles are not what you would consider performance. Granted they might not all run 12s but if I was in a performance car and had a truck/SUV keeping with in 2 lengths I would be up set. Chevy has the Trailblazer SS on the way, C6 vettes are kicking butt plus the Zo6 is nothing to laugh at. Porchse has some nice new toys and we can't pick on them like we could in the past. (It was great out running cars that cost ALOT more than the f-bodies.) Mercedes and BMW have a few cars that are scary as hell. See it’s not the price range at all because the camaro in its day could out run cars that cost 3 times as much as they did but those days are fading. The scary part is that the cars some of you consider worthy were never built for drag racing while the camaro "kinda" was.
I guess in sort maybe you should just do what I did and drive a few different cars and maybe you will see what I mean. I was in your shoes a year ago but after test driving some of the newer cars all I can say is wow. I will sadly addmit that I will never own or drive a stock LS1 now.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:03 AM
TECH Resident

a couple notes: about the boxter it definately was not extremely fast but it wasnt that bad, he bought it used for a decent price, and it already had headers and an intake on it.

The STI: i dunno maybe the guy cant drive? but it is an STI i have seen it up close and have worked on it as well.
also i feel a little bit better about the thumbs down now...
Old 07-07-2005, 11:08 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by YsoFast
I like how you pulled out the price range question. Why don’t we just talk about performance cars in general? Dodge came out with a SRT line that is quick and half the vehicles are not what you would consider performance. Granted they might not all run 12s but if I was in a performance car and had a truck/SUV keeping with in 2 lengths I would be up set. Chevy has the Trailblazer SS on the way, C6 vettes are kicking butt plus the Zo6 is nothing to laugh at. Porchse has some nice new toys and we can't pick on them like we could in the past. (It was great out running cars that cost ALOT more than the f-bodies.) Mercedes and BMW have a few cars that are scary as hell. See it’s not the price range at all because the camaro in its day could out run cars that cost 3 times as much as they did but those days are fading. The scary part is that the cars some of you consider worthy were never built for drag racing while the camaro "kinda" was.
I guess in sort maybe you should just do what I did and drive a few different cars and maybe you will see what I mean. I was in your shoes a year ago but after test driving some of the newer cars all I can say is wow. I will sadly addmit that I will never own or drive a stock LS1 now.
that is good, now take that 333 ho M3 that will hang with a stock LS1. and do ANYTHING that you want to it to get it to hang with a modified one...
most people that care about speed and own an LS1 dont keep it stock. it is about potential and what is available, not what it has while every 70 year old grandma drives it. potential and the extra availability to make more horsewpower relatively cheaply is what makes the LSX and Terminator so scary. not factory hp ratings
Old 07-07-2005, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by half-n-half
that is good, now take that 333 ho M3 that will hang with a stock LS1. and do ANYTHING that you want to it to get it to hang with a modified one...
most people that care about speed and own an LS1 dont keep it stock. it is about potential and what is available, not what it has while every 70 year old grandma drives it. potential and the extra availability to make more horsewpower relatively cheaply is what makes the LSX and Terminator so scary. not factory hp ratings
Well said my friend, ysofast.... you are a clown my friend, you sound just like ricers trying to justify why they just spent XXX amount dollars. This board isnt about factory HP ratings or how your daddys suv is blah blah blah. Take that **** else where. GET A CLUE MAN, THIS IS A LSX BOARD. You are going to get fanatics everywhere you go, so why dont u take ur turdgen and ur sti and go somewhere else! Obviously, all you wanna do is say how the ls1 camaro is a "drag" car from the factory that cant handle compaired to your "godly" STI blah blah blah and all that other steaming hot **** that came out of ur mouth. So don't be an idiot. The modern fbody has never been a quarter mile only car!! It always is assumed by people who don't know anything about it that it is because it does so well there unlike ur turdgen, but with a little suspension work it's a road course terror