Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1 Edit or HP Tuners

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Ls1 Edit or HP Tuners

ok here is the deal i have ls1 edit already, i have no problems with it and it works fine. I have a friend that has a gto and is looking at tuning it. For 100 or so i can get him added to my ls1 edit. He keeps on saying Hp tuners(500+) that he would spend. What are your guys takes on both editors. Who has used both, what one do you like and why. Would it be worth the extra 400 he would spend on hp tuners rather than spend the 100 and get him added to my ls1 edit.... I did get to talk to a few people(matt at ttp and tony k from slp) and they both said they are basically the same. Hp tuners has color(big deal) and hp tuners uses a scanner so you dont have to change cables(nice feature since its a pain to change from ls1 edit to auto tap after you make a change and test it).. So what should he do,pay the 100 and get added or pay the 550 and get hp tuners..
Old 07-09-2005, 03:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used both edit and HPT and HP Tuners blows edit away... comes w/an excellent scanner (soon to be even better). Plus it's not locked to the PCM like Edit... you get a 2001 F-Body V8 license, and you can use it on any 01 V8 F-Body ... you get 2 licenses up front (so you can pick 2 model/years)

Also I believe HP Tuners is still offering the trade-in for LS1 Edit cables ($$$ back , email their sales for more info).

depending on how into tuning you are planning on going you may want to consider the EIO upgrade (though it can be upgraded later also I believe), lets you plug up to 4 external sensors into the cable and log them w/the rest of your scan... plus 2 programmable outputs

I used LS1 Edit from early 2001 till beginning of 2004, killed 1 PCM , finally got tired of the time it took to read/write the PCM and switching between autotap and Edit ... Been using HPT since and I love it... I've since acquired licenses for all V8 F-Bodies and 04 Grand Prixs
Old 07-09-2005, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

From What I have read and heard LS1 edit's Customer service sucks,HP Tuners CS is Top Notch...just my .02
Old 07-09-2005, 06:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I also have LS1 Edit, but I don't use it anymore since I bought HP Tuners to tune other peoples cars.

HP Tuners is so much better in all aspects, expect they don't have the compare feature, but will have it in VER 2.0 very soon. They both get the job done, but HP Tuners is faster, more efficent to use, and has real re-sellability.

Another good thing with HP Tuners is that you don't have to swap cables from scanning to uploading.

Once you start using HP Tuners you'll be wondering why you haven't switched sooner!!!

Bill
Old 07-09-2005, 07:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

im in the market to buy a tuner software package as well. i have researched it pretty well and im going to buy hp tuners. but i am going to wait until vs. 2.0 comes out. that way you dont have to worry about a usb/serial adapter.
justin
Old 07-09-2005, 08:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use to use Edit but switched to FlashScan. Have you looked at FlashScan? It takes 30 seconds to flash and keeps a history of all changes. It has some great features.

Bill
Old 07-09-2005, 08:28 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Bill Bowling
I use to use Edit but switched to FlashScan. Have you looked at FlashScan? It takes 30 seconds to flash and keeps a history of all changes. It has some great features.

Bill
And you can download a demo version from www.efilive.com
Old 07-09-2005, 08:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Another vote here for FlashScan. I have owned HP Tuners, LS1 Edit, and now EFI Live Flashscan. FlashScan is way above the rest.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Black02SS
Another vote here for FlashScan. I have owned HP Tuners, LS1 Edit, and now EFI Live Flashscan. FlashScan is way above the rest.
That plus regular and free updates, FlashScan is top notch.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

was going to look into flashscan but i really dont need it or hp tuners. Was just asking if my friend should waste 500 bucks on hp tuners or have him added to my ls1 edit for 100. To me this is real easy, save 400 bucks and use it for other mods. I did look into all the options that are out there now. As for how hp tuners is so far advanced than ls1 edit, i ask how. Dont give me this crap that it has color, or you can flash in like 30 sec. Who the hell cares that is not a selling point if your the home tuner. I can see it being used in a place like slp (tony k told me) since its faster its easier to make changes espically when the do 100 motors a week. Anything slp sends out is programmed with ls1 edit for reliability. Now one feature i do like in hp is that the scanner is built in and you dont have to finger fu(k with all the wires, but i still see that most people are using efi live so you have to change the damn cables anyway... So please make me a list of real features(like built in scanner,no need to switch wires--if you use that scanner) and i hear the copy/paste works in hp and not in edit. WHAT OTHER FEATURES WOULD MAKE ME/OR FRIEND WANT TO BUY HP TUNERS.. Sorry for ranting but the claims hp is sooooooo much better than edit, i really cant see it espically when i called up quite a few shops and all use edit on the stuff that goes out the door..why would that be
Old 07-10-2005, 06:12 AM
Q
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bill Bowling

Bill
I'm still waiting on 1998 release of flashScan before I make my decision between the two big tuners.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:53 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BubaGumpShrimp
was going to look into flashscan but i really dont need it or hp tuners. Was just asking if my friend should waste 500 bucks on hp tuners or have him added to my ls1 edit for 100. To me this is real easy, save 400 bucks and use it for other mods. I did look into all the options that are out there now. As for how hp tuners is so far advanced than ls1 edit, i ask how. Dont give me this crap that it has color, or you can flash in like 30 sec. Who the hell cares that is not a selling point if your the home tuner. I can see it being used in a place like slp (tony k told me) since its faster its easier to make changes espically when the do 100 motors a week. Anything slp sends out is programmed with ls1 edit for reliability. Now one feature i do like in hp is that the scanner is built in and you dont have to finger fu(k with all the wires, but i still see that most people are using efi live so you have to change the damn cables anyway... So please make me a list of real features(like built in scanner,no need to switch wires--if you use that scanner) and i hear the copy/paste works in hp and not in edit. WHAT OTHER FEATURES WOULD MAKE ME/OR FRIEND WANT TO BUY HP TUNERS.. Sorry for ranting but the claims hp is sooooooo much better than edit, i really cant see it espically when i called up quite a few shops and all use edit on the stuff that goes out the door..why would that be

YOu asked a question we answered. If you dont like the answer use the search button and it should answer a question which has been ASKED Eleventy Billion times. If you think Edit is more reliable and better than shelling out 500.00 for another tuner you are severly misinfomred. ONE KEY FEATURE OF BOTH PROGRAMS IS THE ABILITY TO HOOK AN EXTERNAL WB UNIT TO THE CABLE for WOT tuning and AFR Logging. I foyu cant see the benifits in that then we cant help you and your mind is allready made up on what you want to do and what program you want to stay with.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BubaGumpShrimp
If you feel it isn't worth the extra money to upgrade and think it is a waste, then you need to do some hard searching on this board. The reason some shops still stick with Edit is due to the investment they already have in it. Comparing Edit to HP Tuners/EFI Live is like comparing a Civic to a Vette. They both get you to the same place, but one is faster with more features. Which would you use??

Search is your friend. If you don't want the opinions and such from us, then don't ask.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:14 AM
On The Tree

Does edtit have a scan tool ?
It’s a bit harder to tune without one

As far as HPT or Flashscan being able to flash a pcm faster , well that’s less important than the pcm not being fried . Fried pcm's is the reason some changed from edtit to a more reliable product .

Last edited by Holden LS1 Tonner; 07-10-2005 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

HPT/Flashscan is way more safer ,to Not Fry your PCM.My Tuner uses Edit ,I asked him why and he said Because He already Has it (Very Expensive)Because he uses on multiple vehicles and model years.He Told me if it was now He would use HPT or Flashscan.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:13 AM
Q
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Holden LS1 Tonner
Does edtit have a scan tool ?
It’s a bit harder to tune without one
LS1edit only offers a beta scanner. I've inquired recently about finishing it along with other upgrades to the ls1edit community, but was told it was all on the back burner because they are working on L$2 edit.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Q
LS1edit only offers a beta scanner. I've inquired recently about finishing it along with other upgrades to the ls1edit community, but was told it was all on the back burner because they are working on L$2 edit.
The scanner was SO CRAP it was not even worth running, I've seen freeware ones that are better. With EFILive and HPTuners around it's only a matter of time before everyone will be saying "LS1Edit what??".
I understand why some workshops won't change because of the massive investment in LS1Edit, but maybe that should be forgotten when the thing hangs on a reflash and they need to get the PCM fixed, been there before