Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

howling coming from rear end?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default howling coming from rear end?

ok, a few months ago i had 3.73s put in, and everything has been fine. the guy told me to wait at least 1000 miles before i switched over to synthetic gear oil. its been a little more than that, and on my way back from keller last night my rear started to howl and wine VERY LOUD. there is no ratcheting or grinding noise. i guess we are going to pull the cover off and see whats up.

any ideas guys? hopefully that dont involve the ring and pinion being messed up? is it at all possible that its only the bearings?

i guess the worst part is that the guy at the shop told me AFTER the install that there is no warranty. they dont warranty out work when its going to be beaten on, and i have a "race car"

thanks,
anthony
Old 07-10-2005, 06:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by luvmeZ28
ok, a few months ago i had 3.73s put in, and everything has been fine. the guy told me to wait at least 1000 miles before i switched over to synthetic gear oil. its been a little more than that, and on my way back from keller last night my rear started to howl and wine VERY LOUD. there is no ratcheting or grinding noise. i guess we are going to pull the cover off and see whats up.

any ideas guys? hopefully that dont involve the ring and pinion being messed up? is it at all possible that its only the bearings?

i guess the worst part is that the guy at the shop told me AFTER the install that there is no warranty. they dont warranty out work when its going to be beaten on, and i have a "race car"

thanks,
anthony

Its probably the gears, maybe the installer
Old 07-10-2005, 11:52 PM
10 Second Club

Have you checked the fluid level?
Old 07-11-2005, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

took the cover off. a decent amount of shavings on the magnet, the gears didnt look noticeably worn. went ahead and changed the fluid, in false hopes that the problem is fixed.

another rear end build, yipee! so many better things i could waste my money on!
Old 07-11-2005, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyone think its possible its the posi unit?
Old 07-11-2005, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyone think its possible its the posi unit?
Get rid of that P.O.S. and get a 12bolt, if you can. You'll be glad you did.

I just did.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:46 PM
10 Second Club

Get rid of that P.O.S. and get a 12bolt, if you can. You'll be glad you did.

I just did.
Where did you get your 12 bolt from, and if you dont mind my asking about how much was it?

Anthony, Just drive the MF'er till it breaks, all the while saving up for a 12bolt. I'll help you with a rear end swap once the beater breaks
Old 07-12-2005, 01:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

i would really love to, and i guess i will try that. i dont want to waste another 500 on a gear install. i may have some tricks up my sleeve.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:18 AM
10 Second Club

i would really love to, and i guess i will try that. i dont want to waste another 500 on a gear install. i may have some tricks up my sleeve.
another 500$ is 25% of cost of a 12bolt
Old 07-12-2005, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 69_YENKO
another 500$ is 25% of cost of a 12bolt
i know man, and if i spend another 500, thats half of a 12 bolt, and money that has been wasted, horribly! i need to find a way to get it before my rear goes!
Old 07-12-2005, 04:30 PM
Staging Lane

i had the same problem, brought it to the dealer and they replaced 2 worn pinion bearings. Although i still get a whin at about 60mph regardless of gear, and only when under load. Brought it back into the dealer and told me there is nothin wrong with the rear end, but just to keep an eye on it. boy lemme tell ya tho, its definitly annoying!
Old 07-12-2005, 05:25 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jadedst
i had the same problem, brought it to the dealer and they replaced 2 worn pinion bearings. Although i still get a whin at about 60mph regardless of gear, and only when under load. Brought it back into the dealer and told me there is nothin wrong with the rear end, but just to keep an eye on it. boy lemme tell ya tho, its definitly annoying!
how long has it been like that?
Old 07-17-2005, 03:30 PM
Banned

what dealer did this?...i had same thing done at key pont with same trouble now...whines like a bitch @ 60
Old 07-19-2005, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lightbulb

12 bolt will solve many a problems. Expensive, but cheap
Old 07-20-2005, 06:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pla-tym2
12 bolt will solve many a problems. Expensive, but cheap
that makes sense i dont want to waste anymore money.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:13 AM
Staging Lane

69Yenko - it has been doin this ever since i bought the car a few months ago

99PontTA - Westwood Chevy in Westwood NJ

The car is still under the original factory warrenty, the reasoning they gave me for the continued noise is that since there isnt much in the way of sound deadening material in the back of the car, i will hear any noise. Although i am still skeptical since its only right around 60, and its only under load.... any thoughts?
Old 07-20-2005, 10:53 AM
Banned

69Yenko - it has been doin this ever since i bought the car a few months ago

99PontTA - Westwood Chevy in Westwood NJ

The car is still under the original factory warrenty, the reasoning they gave me for the continued noise is that since there isnt much in the way of sound deadening material in the back of the car, i will hear any noise. Although i am still skeptical since its only right around 60, and its only under load.... any thoughts?
if its under gactory warranty they should fix it....the ring and pinion are off a bit...causes the noise....key pont is gonna be in court over this...once i get it fixed i'm filing against them...fk um
Old 07-20-2005, 11:48 AM
Staging Lane

im just really surprised that after TWO visits there they havent been able to fix it. i think im just going to bring it somewhere else before i head back to school for the semester. hopefully thrid time is a charm....
Old 07-20-2005, 06:34 PM
10 Second Club

im just really surprised that after TWO visits there they havent been able to fix it. i think im just going to bring it somewhere else before i head back to school for the semester. hopefully thrid time is a charm....
the're probably just trying the quick fixes to see if that will work. take it back and tell them its still doing it, new gears and bearings. the rear end whining is not normal, and shouldnt be passed by them saying there isnt much sound deadening back there. i have my back seat removed which i one less layer of insulation between my ears and the rearend and i cant hear anything. the only F-body out of the few im around regulary that makes any noise from the rearend is luvmeZ28's and his is screwed up.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99PontTA
what dealer did this?...i had same thing done at key pont with same trouble now...whines like a bitch @ 60
FWIW here's my experience with a similar problem.

Odd coincidence, I bought my 99 TA from Key Pont (I'm from Allentown originally) in Dec 2003. During the test drive I had a howling from the rear, and they fixed it before I bought it. They claimed to have swapped the ring, pinion, and posi unit which seemed to fix it. It took them a while, claiming the gears they were getting weren't cut right. The howl was gone for a while, but the driveline is getting a bit noisy now with some howling at speed under load and some other various noises. I admit, my poly tranny bushing and Kirban shifter add to the noise so I'm not all that worried for now. Besides, when the 10-bolt goes...good riddence!!

Joe