Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor going back to stock

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Motor going back to stock

Well its been a long process but the car is almost ready to sell. On start up the car puffs a cloud of smoke and it smells like coolant. It stops right away though. When I start driving it there is no smoke at all.
I am wondering if the intake being port matched to the other heads might be the problem.I am not really sure to what degree they were ported also. Could that be the problem? Any help would be appreciated
Old 07-12-2005, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Any help would be appreciated. I am desperate
Old 07-12-2005, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

White smoke with an antifreeze smell doesn't sound like an intake match issue.

How many miles have you driven since you put it back together. Antifreeze will sometimes get into the exhaust when you do heads, have you burned off anyhing in the exhaust?

Smoke on start up is normally a sign of either valve guides or sealing around the rocker studs but also usually smokes on deceleration.

Finally, did you put the stock tune back?
Old 07-12-2005, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The stock tune is back in. The air pump is not connected but the exhaust manifolds are blocked off. I have probably driven the car about 25 miles since the car was put back to stock a year ago
Old 07-12-2005, 09:59 PM
FormerVendor

You are not going to run into any coolant problems whatsoever by port matching the intake manifold. The LS1 uses a dry intake, meaning that it has no coolant passages in it, so altering it will not make coolant leak. Also, if the heads were ported too much, and hit a water jacket, it should have been seen instantly, so I doubt that is your problem.

Also, if you are burning coolant, your oxygen sensors will alert you, lol. You can foul them out pretty quick by burning coolant.

If you still believe it's coolant, I would be willing to bet you may have a cracked head, warped head or improperly seated head.

Let the car sit overnight, and then go pull the spark plugs in the morning. Take a flathead screwdriver, and wrap the tip with a white paper towel by taping it onto the screwdriver. Then, stick the screw driver into the spark plug bosses and slowly crank the engine over by hand at the crank pulley. When the piston comes up you'll be able to touch it with the screw driver. Once you touch it, pull the screw driver out, and examine the tip. Do this for all 8 cylinders. If the paper towel is soaked with coolant, you have a cylinder head problem. This method will allow you diagnose which head is bad, and what cylinder has been burning coolant. Plus, you can do this without tearing your engine down.

Matt
Old 07-12-2005, 10:18 PM
TECH Regular

Does it actually loose coolant ? If you put your old stock heads back I'm just wondering how the valve seals are after sitting for a while.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a set of stock cores on the car right now. I should have had them checked out by I relied on the person who I got them from. Its turning out to be a bad mistake.
I will try the method you told me dragon.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a set of stock cores on the car right now. I should have had them checked out by I relied on the person who I got them from. Its turning out to be a bad mistake.
I will try the method you told me dragon.