Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broke a Bolt

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 05:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broke a Bolt

I was changing my oil for the first time and I took off the wrong bolt, and when I was putting it back, it snapped off. I am wondering how important it is. The bolt is located right next to the oil filter and it is a 10 mm bolt. The bolt is pretty long. Can anybody help?
Old 07-15-2005, 06:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Is it one of the bolts that goes through the oil pan and up into the timing cover?
Old 07-15-2005, 06:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by conan
Is it one of the bolts that goes through the oil pan and up into the timing cover?
Yeah I am pretty sure it is. It is a long bolt.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:12 PM
Launching!

yeah it is, as long as you dont have oil leaks, you might be alright. But you will have to deal with it if you ever have to drop your pan.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Did it snap because of cross threading of from over tighting? If its over tightened usuly the head snaps off and the the shank isn't that tight a pair of vice grips will take care of it. Is it leaking oil?
Old 07-15-2005, 06:37 PM
TECH Regular

What do your fenders look like now?

sorry I couldn't resist
Old 07-15-2005, 06:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sounds more like one of the bolts in the oil temp sender fitting (not used on an F-body, its not drilled/tapped). You'll want to remove the other bolt, remove the block and remove the broken portion of the bolt - then replace the bolt. If you don't chances are it'll leak oil. That fitting is under full oil pressure, so you don't want to risk a leak there -- could be very dangerous since it'd spray right on the hot exhaust.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 02BlackOnBlackSS
I was changing my oil for the first time and I took off the wrong bolt, and when I was putting it back, it snapped off. I am wondering how important it is. The bolt is located right next to the oil filter and it is a 10 mm bolt. The bolt is pretty long. Can anybody help?
OK no one else has asked so I will Besides the DRAIN plug and the oil filter why were you removing anything else..........
Old 07-15-2005, 06:58 PM
Staging Lane

Did it snap because of cross threading of from over tighting? If its over tightened usuly the head snaps off and the the shank isn't that tight a pair of vice grips will take care of it. Is it leaking oil?
Overtightening, The shank is way in there it snapped at the bottom where it is threaded.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Brains
Sounds more like one of the bolts in the oil temp sender fitting (not used on an F-body, its not drilled/tapped). You'll want to remove the other bolt, remove the block and remove the broken portion of the bolt - then replace the bolt. If you don't chances are it'll leak oil. That fitting is under full oil pressure, so you don't want to risk a leak there -- could be very dangerous since it'd spray right on the hot exhaust.
No oil is leaking from the bolt, It would just spray straight down if something would happen. I will check for leaks though later on. I'll try that if it starts leaking.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ss rally red
OK no one else has asked so I will Besides the DRAIN plug and the oil filter why were you removing anything else..........
It was the first time I changed the oil myself on the car, it is fairly new. I was trying bolts and that one looked like it could be it, but it wasnt. I went to replace it and it broke.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

If it helps, there is a bolt just like it on the other side of the transmission.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

http://www.organ1zedcha0s.com/phpBB2....php?pic_id=47
Put you mouse on the bottom right corner of the picture you can blow it up, Look to the right of where the oil filter goes the one that goes straight up in to the rear cover is that it?
Old 07-15-2005, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

dont know how much space u have to play with, but i have drilled broken bolts then removed then with a EZ out.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:15 PM
Staging Lane

http://www.organ1zedcha0s.com/phpBB2....php?pic_id=47
Put you mouse on the bottom right corner of the picture you can blow it up, Look to the right of where the oil filter goes the one that goes straight up in to the rear cover is that it?
You can't see the bolt from the picture. It goes straight up from the bottom. It is about 2-3 cm from the oil filter