Sponsored by:

"Service Vehicle" and ASR lights on

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 04:39 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default "Service Vehicle" and ASR lights on

Had a weird problem today, need some advice. My 2002 Z28 (H/C, LT's w/ TD's, 4200 stall, etc.) has been running fine since a retune about 50-100 miles ago. I went to a car show about 15 miles from my house today and had the A/C on the whole way there and back. I pulled into my driveway and thought I smelled something hot (its pretty hot here today too) like a burning smell, so I left the car running and popped the hood to have a look. Didn't see or smell anything underhood, so I got back in the car and had the SES light on. I shut the car off and ran inside for a minute, then came out and turned the key on to read the code with my scanmaster. I had a code PO121, TPS throttle angle stuff, but also now the "Service Vehicle" and "ASR" lights are on, and the ASR light is unaffected by the ASR switch. I deleted the code with my scanmaster, and now everythings clear. I drove around the block and didn't get anything. I understand the PO121 code can be set easily with a car as modded as mine with the A/C on at idle, but whats up with the service vehicle and asr lights? Can it be related? Neither problems have risen separately at any time, they both happened together and cleared together.

Sorry for the long post, but a search hasn't turned anything up. Thanks for the help!
Old 07-16-2005, 06:22 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

I went to drive the car again, and this time the Service Vehicle light came on but no ASR. I shut the car off and restarted it and no light. Ideas?
Old 07-16-2005, 07:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine comes on when it's been idling for longer than 4 minutes, then shuts off as soon as I take off.

Been chasing it for a while, no clue yet.

I'm heavily modified too.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:58 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

I went back out again, this time the Service Engine and ASR lights were back on again, and the ABS light came on for about 1 or 2 seconds and went back off. I shut the car down and restarted it, all normal. WTF is going on here??? I drove it again later on my way home, still no lights. I'm going back out now, might see a little street action, and I'll report what happens.

Does anyone know what kind of scan tool I'll need to read the service vehicle light? Does autozone have it? Its not throwing a service engine code, so my scanmaster won't read it.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:07 AM
TS6
10 Second Club

Went out tonight, its still doing it. The first 3 times I drove the car no problem, then I went to leave and theres the ASR and Service Vehicle lights, shut the car off, restart, all is well. It seems to only happen on startup, it doesn't come on partway through a drive or anything. Like I said, I can restart and it goes away.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My car did the same thing. I went to the tire store to get some tires put on the back and when I fired cra up my service vehicle light was on and my abs light was on. I went to turn my asr off with the button because I was gonna tear outta there and leave rubber in the parking lot because they pissed me off but the asr would not turn off. When I got home I turned the car off and then fired it back up and the lights were off and have not come on since.

Because I was having work done around the rear of the car and the wheels I assumed it was abs related but not sure. Like I said, it hasnt done it since.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what was the last mod you did before this happened?

And are your front and rear wheels the same?
Old 07-17-2005, 12:24 AM
TECH Junkie

My front and rear wheels are the same. My mods were headers, duals, and a lid, but they had been done 6 months before this happened.

Actually what happened was this. I took my car to get thewore out nittos took off and have my regular street tires put back on. They have a lift that has the ramp you drive up and then its flat and then a ramp that goes down on the other side and the lift picks the whole car up from underneath. All was fine until I went down the other side and a part of the lift grabbed my duals somewhere and ripped them clean off both headers. It was gonna be hell trying to get them back on while it was on that lift so I got pissed and told them to just unbolt the system from the hangers in the back and pull the system out from under the car. I then laid the back seat down, threw the whole exhaust system in the back of the car and drove home with open headers. I had driven the car plenty before with open headers and never seen that light or had that issue.

Like I said, when I got home and turned the car off and refired it the lights were off and back to normal. It has not done it again.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:05 AM
TS6
10 Second Club

Well, I don't drive my car alot, so the most recent mods mileage wise are Strange 12 bolt and a new tune. I've driven a good 80-100 miles since both of those.

Whats weird is it happened the same time I threw a PO121 code, but thats codes gone now and this is still happening. The only other thing I've done is clearance the front brake calipers for my welds, which I have been running only with a spacer.

I did drive through some grass at that show, but it was pretty smooth and I didn't catch anything on the underside of the car. I'll check the plugs and wires on the rear end, but I doubt anything is wrong.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:51 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Is it possible I got some debris on a sensor when I ground the calipers down? How would I clean them?
Old 07-17-2005, 05:08 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Well since no one knows what to do can I just ignore it? I wanted to go to the track soon, don't need asr for that.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:43 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Hello???
Old 07-19-2005, 01:48 AM
Rod
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same thing happen to me once. All I did was remove the scanmaster, turned off the car, restarted and it went away. I thought it had something to do with the scanmaster, because I havent used it since and the problem never came back. Was yours plugged inn at the time?
Old 07-19-2005, 04:06 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Yeah, it was. I'll try it, but I will need to hook it back up.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Well I dont have a scanmaster.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:59 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Put the TechII on it last night and had about 6 million stored codes. It appears as though theres some issue with the pcm communicating with the chassis modules, which I've read can be common after using HP tuners. After using the tech2 the air bag light was flashing, which was new. Restarted car and it was fine. I give up, if the ****** runs hell with it.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never read that one!!! That would make sense; I've had 2 tunes with LS1Edit and never had lights. Then I had 2 tunes with HPTuners, and the lights are on.

Good to know! Glad you decided to chase it down, thanks!
Old 07-22-2005, 08:01 AM
TS6
10 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ervice+vehicle

Found it there.