Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP Dual owners, ever cut off your turndowns?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 02:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default TSP Dual owners, ever cut off your turndowns?

I was just wondering if there was a way to lessen the drone at highway speeds. I think that if the sound waves weren't facing towards the ground, then it wouldn't be so much of a problem. I'm planning on going to Sweet Thunders in the future, but don't have the spare cash for them right this second. I do however, have a jack, some jackstands, and a Sawsall.

Anybody done this? If so, what were the results?
Old 07-18-2005, 03:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if cutting off your turndowns will give you the result you desire. The turndowns usually lessen noise. Do your true duals have a crossover at the midpipe?
Old 07-18-2005, 03:43 PM
10 Second Club

I don't have the TSPs but I cut the turndowns off my system. There is aboslutly no more drone. It does get more raspy at certain rpms though, usually around 3K under a load.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

You cut them off and you would more than likely burn some stuff underneath the car. Just make sure they are angled out at ~45 degrees. That is about the best you can do without bring them out the back.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:15 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

You aren't going to burn anything. There is plenty of atmosphere for the heat to dissipate before getting near anything else.

I have long tubes, no cats, x-pipe, and Moroso Spiral Flow mufflers. I originally had turndowns on it, then I cut them off. With the turndowns you get a little more "thump" and without them you get a little more "chop" if that makes sense. Seems like the turndowns have a little bit more of a bassier exhaust note while with them cut off they are a slightly higher pitched. The jury is hung. Half my buddies say the car sounded better w/ the turndowns, half say it sounds better without them.

Inside the car cutting the turndowns off took away some of the rattles and resonance, but it was slightly more audible. It's basically give and take. Do you want a deeper exhaust note with a little more rattling inside, or do you want a little more volume inside but not so much rattling and resonance?
Old 07-18-2005, 07:40 PM
11 Second Club

I'd like to hear from some guys with Sweet Thunders as well, to see if they added turndowns. My idea when I do the swap was just to cut the Bullets off the hanger, then slip the ST's on, clamp 'em, and re-weld the hanger to the muffler, and not worry about a turndown.

Well, ST guys, did you add turndowns?
Old 07-18-2005, 11:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jet_black
I'd like to hear from some guys with Sweet Thunders as well, to see if they added turndowns. My idea when I do the swap was just to cut the Bullets off the hanger, then slip the ST's on, clamp 'em, and re-weld the hanger to the muffler, and not worry about a turndown.

Well, ST guys, did you add turndowns?
When I had my TD's with ST's, I DID NOT add turndowns. I don't know if it is cause of the muffler change or turndown delete, but drone was almost non existant afterwards.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:40 PM
TECH Resident

Personlly ive got dumps before the rear...some might not be as bright...
A friend of mine cut the pipes off the rear to add new mufflers, and never welded on turndowns....sounded badass....Only problem was that when he discovered his new found mess of black darkness over the rear and torquebox, he spent his saturday morning cleaning it up and welding a set of bends...

add the turndowns, youll be happy you did.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:55 AM
Staging Lane

Suck it up, Allen

I think your best bet is to go to Child's and talk with them about about going over the axle. If you do go, tell them that if they give you a good price, they will have another customer as well. Should help you out a little.

Unless someone makes the pipes ready to go?
Old 07-19-2005, 09:32 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Orange n Black
Suck it up, Allen

I think your best bet is to go to Child's and talk with them about about going over the axle. If you do go, tell them that if they give you a good price, they will have another customer as well. Should help you out a little.

Unless someone makes the pipes ready to go?
Child's would want to ***-rape me on price for that, and I know Bruce and Brad. Hell, they wanted $500 to install my headers alone. Screw them, they lost all of my respect after they pulled that crap.

I'd be better off buying a good welder and doing it myself if I were going to take it out the back.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:18 AM
Staging Lane

They did my cutout for 20 bucks.

Then again I told one that the other had quoted me that price.

Old 07-19-2005, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When I originally installed my TSP TD's and the turndowns were pointed straight down, I had a great deal of vibration inside the car, which really began to annoy me after awhile. So I had pipes run out the back, but that made the the exhaust sound very harsh and it lost all of the deep rumble. So I cut the pipes off, but I did it in such a way that the exits are angled out towards the outside of the car and not straight down. That took care of about 90% of my interior vibration problems, and kept most of the deep rumble caused by the exhaust echoing around under the car. If I was to do it all over, I would cut the turndowns off, and then weld them back on at about a 45* angle towards the outside of the car.