Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

The 411 on my car

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The 411 on my car

Well just when ya thought to yourself, "its classic opti-spark signs". Ya know that its getting ready to die. NOPE!

So I'm confused on whats the what with my car, so I hook up auto-tap, and find that my Bnk 1 O2 sensor is not switching? The code was "insufficent switching Bnk 1 Sen. 1". Okay bad O2, so I have a warrenty since they were replaced less then a year ago. So I look around the motor as well, trying to see if anything else is a miss, I see a spark plug wire sitting against the header, this is the 2nd one I have found. They were all zip tied away from the motor when installed, but apparently some broke, or the motor just shifted and they touched. So I get under the car and check out the wire, thinking maybe its not as bad like the first one, maybe I caught it early enough. NOPE! It's beginning to crack, it wasn't burned all the way through but enough to make me want to get the kit from Thunder Racing which places the wires on the valve covers. So I figure that the wire is arching, another reason the car is running a little rough. I decided to look up at the rear of my valve cover and see oil leaking around that area, I deduced that my valve cover gaskets need to be replaced. I didn't think they were leaking, as they were replaced a couple of years ago, but I guess its time again.

Not real bad news, just enough to keep my car down till I get the parts at least. I'm just glad it wasn't the opti-spark.....my poor car has 152,000 miles on her
BUT she's running like a champ still, well after i get her fixed....LOL!
Old 07-18-2005, 04:06 PM
11 Second Club

I installed a set of thunder's over the valve cover wires on my brother's LT1 car. That is the ONLY way to go on those cars. It turned out great!
Old 07-18-2005, 05:28 PM
On The Tree

I'm sure you know this, but an easy way to find out if your plug wires are actually arcing is to just start it up when it's dark outside and just look around everywhere in there. If it's arcing you'll definitely be able to tell.

Good luck getting her together.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know what your problem is... You have an LT1!

*scurries away and hides*
Old 07-18-2005, 09:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jet_black

DAMN!! Now that was a low blow
Old 07-18-2005, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

And we will wonder when you have the nerve to show up at my house again with those words of "wisdom".

Don't worry scott he said that the other night, he woun't be saying that when he's watchin the back of my tail lights going down the track.

I have secrets and I'm not telling, this is just a good excuse to, well do something to the car, oh yeah stock plugs and ya the wire kit from Thunder Racing, and a new O2 sensor, thats it thats all, move along people nothing to see here...

THE GARAGE IS CLOSED!

<------ Allen bowing down, get on your knees BITCH...LMAO!
Old 07-19-2005, 09:38 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Greenfire
And we will wonder when you have the nerve to show up at my house again with those words of "wisdom".

Don't worry scott he said that the other night, he woun't be saying that when he's watchin the back of my tail lights going down the track.

I have secrets and I'm not telling, this is just a good excuse to, well do something to the car, oh yeah stock plugs and ya the wire kit from Thunder Racing, and a new O2 sensor, thats it thats all, move along people nothing to see here...

THE GARAGE IS CLOSED!

<------ Allen bowing down, get on your knees BITCH...LMAO!
I'll just get my woman to cook for everyone again. That'll open the garage back up.

I gotta mess with you LT1 people, even though Eric's car will prolly hand me my *** soon. Not to mention your hubby's... You're all getting too fast for me.

Guess I gotta get that SSF3500 and F13 sometime soon so that I can once again be the fastest in our little group...
Old 07-20-2005, 03:30 PM
Staging Lane

I'm just hoping for a 12.788@111.54
I think I'll go with something a little less aggressive than the F13... like this

FM1-RJ-111 FMS Custom Grind Camshaft - 236"/239" .600"/.611" 111LSA - aggressive profile with a 3500-7200 RPM range, rough idle

Last edited by Orange n Black; 07-20-2005 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I had the car back up and running, fixed it all by myself, new O2 sensor and pulled the plug wires away from the header.....needless to say the car started acting the same as before, in park it seems fine, in drive it stumbles over itself and has no go power. Pretty sure the plug wire is arching, and she's running on 7 cyl, instead of 8. What a crock, and I was so happy and now uughhhh

So to fix this we are making a new wire, got the stuff on hand why not right? I'll let you all know whats the what later on, unless this doesn't work and I start my head against a wall.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Let me know when your LS1 is out of the high 12s
Old 07-20-2005, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well looks like the new spark plug wire is doing well so far, we'll see. Keep your fingers crossed, also realised I have a oil leak and needs some attention, I think its the valve cover gaskets, so we'll replace those and go from there.

Greenfire lives again....
Old 07-20-2005, 10:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DietCoke
It will be early next year... then I'll hit mid 11's or better on spray.

I'm not hating on LT1's, I just have to pick at Stacceye. It's just a little ribbing, and all in fun.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:11 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Orange n Black
I think I'll go with something a little less aggressive than the F13... like this

FM1-RJ-111 FMS Custom Grind Camshaft - 236"/239" .600"/.611" 111LSA - aggressive profile with a 3500-7200 RPM range, rough idle
Less aggressive? Methinks your car will like that one. Good God it's going to sound good through those new duals. When're you going to be able to crank your car? In time for Friday I hope. Lemme know if you need anything to be able to get ready. Oh, and if ya'll need some help with Stacceye's car, lemme know.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:30 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Orange n Black

First off........ Thats gonna be ferkin awesome.
greenfire, i kinda feel ur pain w/ the LT1. Ive had a recurring problem w/ mine over the last 3-4 months. Bout 4 months ago i was in my 95 Z28 on the way back from Armageddon's house from checkin out his turbo 6.0L SS(SWEET!)
and i got into a 2 bout roll-on match with an 05 GT which i beat by a few lengths going from 60-110mph or so(kinda dumb seeing as how i was still in my brace from the accident) but anyway about 5 miles down the road after the 2nd run w/ the GT my ol' Z starts coughing, sputterin, & bucking like it had a lil *** 2barrel carb chokin for fuel and then it just died on me bout 10miles from home and i couldnt get it fired back up. Had it towed to local shop where it sat for a few days. They then went out and fired her right up. They couldnt find anything wrong w/ her, said it started and ran just fine for them so i took it back home. Well a few days later im back in Dothan leaving Longhorns Steak house and as soon as i pull out onto Ross Clark Circle the same thing happens again. Finally got off into a neighbor hood before it fell asleep and refused to wake back up as if someone spiked her gas tank w/ some ruffies. Towed it back to the same shop and the ran some tests and found out she had a bad fuel pump. Got it replaced for a whooping $670bucks & all was great after that till about 4 days ago when my bro-in-law was driving it around so it wouldnt just sit the whole time im down w/ the surgery. He pulled out into some traffic on HWY 27 N in E'Prise and romped on it through 1st, 2nd, then it when he eased into 3rd it started buckin, sputterin, etc, etc, again. Luckily he made it into my neighborhood at least before it died again and of course wouldnt start back up. Well it cranked a few times but would idle at 500rpm or so for a few seconds then die. After sitting for a 2 days, he went back and she started up just fine so he drove it back to his place to do a lil diagnoising of his own but hasnt found anything yet so prolly gonna have to go back in the shop yet again and get bent. Seems i have no luck w/ this one or the TA. Godwilling the SS will stay healthy!!!
Old 07-21-2005, 03:36 AM
TECH Addict

Aww...thats low. Of course i never did get my SS outta the 13's when she was mild bolt-ons. Got a 13.009@109mph best till my crappy CF dual friction burnt up leaving me stranded half track at the 2001 Super Chevy Show in Montgomery. That was funny/sucky
What spray kit you goin w/ jet_black?
Old 07-21-2005, 07:57 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Wicked_Hugger99
Aww...thats low. Of course i never did get my SS outta the 13's when she was mild bolt-ons. Got a 13.009@109mph best till my crappy CF dual friction burnt up leaving me stranded half track at the 2001 Super Chevy Show in Montgomery. That was funny/sucky
What spray kit you goin w/ jet_black?
TNT F-1 jetted for a 100 shot. This will be on top of a 'verter, F13 cam, LS6 intake, and an ASP Pulley.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:29 AM

TNT F-1 jetted for a 100 shot. This will be on top of a 'verter, F13 cam, LS6 intake, and an ASP Pulley.

When are you going to have these mods completed?

I think I am going to have to spend more money to keep up with you.

John
Old 07-21-2005, 08:52 AM
Staging Lane

Old 07-21-2005, 08:58 AM
Staging Lane

Less aggressive? Methinks your car will like that one. Good God it's going to sound good through those new duals. When're you going to be able to crank your car? In time for Friday I hope. Lemme know if you need anything to be able to get ready. Oh, and if ya'll need some help with Stacceye's car, lemme know.
I drove it in to work this morning. Thunder Racing had the wrong address and sent my plug wires to my old apartment complex. I had to haul butt and made it there with 2 minutes before they left. Car sounds great and pulls harder up top. I could definitely use a tune though .

Stacceye's car seems fine for now. We are going to get the valve cover kit as she stated and then it should be fine.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:17 AM
12 Second Club

Die!