Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Guys Please Help Electric Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 11:45 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Guys Please Help Electric Problem

Alright well i went 2 autozone and bought these neon interior lights and i tried installing them myself... well i need a 12v supply so i opened up that lil box on the console near the traction control button and cut the wires for the ciggerate lighter so i could have access to those 12 volts, problem was i think i blew a fuse or somethin a lil spark came out i wuz a ******** and didnt disconnect the battery... well anyways i still cant get the neon lights 2 work but thats not important...even when i reconnect my ciggerate lighter cables my ciggerate lighter wont work which means theres no power and i really dont have money to get this fixed does anybody have any ideas? Not 2 mention now i cant use my radar detector and thats an even bigger problem 4 me so someone get bak 2 me as soon as possible thanx...
Old 07-25-2005, 02:15 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you replace the fuse?
Old 07-25-2005, 02:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Out down the tools and step AWAY from the vehicle....

LOL j/k but yeah.. replace the fuse!
Old 07-25-2005, 08:04 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Let me guess - you used your wire cutters to cut both wires at the same time. Since wire cutters are metal you created a short between the power and ground wires and blew the fuse. Must have been more than just a little spark. The fuse you need to replace is #11 marked CIG/ACCY in the fuse panel on the left end of the dash. It's a 25 amp fuse.

Next time, don't cut the wires, splice into the existing wire by either stripping and soldering (best way) or by using one of those scotchlock tap connectors. Also, disconnect the battery or pull the fuse when working with live circuits like the cigarette lighter.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:03 PM
Launching!

thanx fellaz
Old 07-25-2005, 01:15 PM
Launching!

next question is with the neon i tied the two neon + cables 2gether and the two - cables 2gether then i put the 2 + ones into the the supply slot on my switch and i kno where 2 put the earth ground cable but wut 2 do i do with the acc part do i just tap into the ciggerate lighter wires and if so both of them? and do i just leave the 2 negatives on the neon connected with each other? thanx
Old 07-25-2005, 02:04 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

If I understand the question correctly... you should have some sort of power wire with a fuse going to your switch (this should be accessory or ignition controlled - using the cigarette lighter wire is not recommended unless you want to run the lights off the battery). You should then have the two positive wires for your lights (one for each) connected to the other terminal on the switch so that they get power when the switch is in the ON position but not when it's in the OFF position. The negative wires from the lights can be connected together but they don't have to be. They have to be connected to a good ground - either a ground wire or a chassis ground such as one of the bolts for the dash mounting.

Maybe I misunderstood the question so correct me if I'm wrong but this is very basic wiring (electricity 101) so if you don't feel comfortable with it perhaps you should have a shop do it for you.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:40 PM
Launching!

nah i understand i jus dont know where 2 find my power source in the car cuz i dont have a 12v tester thats why i tried using the ciggerate lighter but i want to have control of the switch to be able to turn it on and off... where is the best place 2 get the power from?
Old 07-25-2005, 02:46 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The best place is the fuse box - details in a thread about 10 below this one (https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/352737-splicing-into-accessory-outlet.html)
Old 07-25-2005, 05:21 PM
Launching!

hey guys thanx 4 da help it turned out 2 be the fuse and my radar worx again but as the 4 the neons im workin on em im gonna connect em 2 the fuses some how or i mite just directly connect them 2 the battery if anyone has pictures of install of these things on a f body it wuld make my life easier cuz i dunno how 2 get behind the fuse box but once i do im gonna splice the wires..
Old 07-25-2005, 06:36 PM
Launching!

look heres my problem i cant find 1 wire that gives me power i cant go behind the fuseboxes i dunno how u guys did it can someone gimme detailed instructions at least how 2 access the wires behind there so i can finally get these stupid neons glowing mann i didnt think it wuld be this much of a pain in the *** and im not a retard either i just cant get 2 those wires 2 splice em
Old 07-25-2005, 09:00 PM
Launching!

Ok HERES ANOTHER PROBLEM i thought i could splice the wires in the radio cuz i read on some forum that somebody did it... well guess who just got a new problem i spliced the yellow being power ign and the black for ground but my lights still didnt glow so i put my monsoon headunit back in now my radio wont work it just stays dark unless i hit hr or min or recall but the power button duzint work how do i get it runnin again and im pretty sure there was no theft lock set on it is it jus wiring in the bak isnt in all the way or is it somethin i got 2 bring in 2 gm and spend loads of money.. these frieken neons turned out 2 be a bigger hassle then they r worth
Old 07-25-2005, 09:09 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Painful painful thread to read....

This forum should have a mandatory spell checker in place.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:16 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I thought that was just the way they talk in NY!

If the TheftLoc was active the display would show "LOC" when it is powered on.

It sounds like you blew the RADIO fuse (#17 - 15A) when you connected the lights. There would still be power to some of the radio functions (CD eject, time, etc.) through the orange battery supply wire but the radio wouldn't turn on. The other possibility is that you inadvertantly cut through the yellow wire when you were splicing into it.

Re-read the thread I mentioned earlier - you shouldn't splice into the wires behind the fuse panel, you should connect a new wire to the ACCY plug on the front of the fuse panel.

At this point I'm starting to agree with BrandonSS - replace the fuse then put down the tools and step away from the vehicle. Get a stereo shop or someone with experience to install the lights.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:34 PM
Launching!

Default aite

aite fellaz well thanx alot i learned alot in my retard experience lol im good with other car stuff but im not an electronic guy.... i appreciate the help and now when i do car stuff i will come 2 u guys 1st before i blow any more fuses haha alright well i think i will be able 2 do this now thanx 4 the help and support and 4 not givin up on me lol... and this is just the way people talk online in ny i kno how 2 spell and write etc... but its easier 2 write this way online thats why i do it.... i promise im not that retarted lol alright well thanx poice
Old 07-26-2005, 02:47 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

How is writing online any different from writing anything else? Granted, shortcuts are necessary when text messaging from a phone but you have a full keyboard when you're on this forum.

We all use acronyms such as LOL and BTW but using numbers for words or deliberate misspellings is just hard to read and not appreciated. Besides, how is "fellaz" any easier to type than "fellas"? And what the hell does "aite" mean?

Just a gentle reminder that people have to read what you type so what you find convenient to type might not always get the response you're looking for.

Good luck with your light hookup.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:39 PM
Launching!

NEON SUCCESS AFTER 3 DAYS OF ******* HELL I WILL POST PIX SOON !!!! i found out that the radio doesnt work because of a little metal clip in the adapter harness for the yellow wire is messed up but im replacing that now so we'll see if i get radio and neons mannn i acomplished alot 2day pooiccee
Old 07-28-2005, 02:55 PM
Launching!

MISSION ACOMPLISHED WE NOW HAVE NEONS/RADIO and they bounce 2 the beat wen i want them 2 lol that was a nightmare now 2 get other upgrades