Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

The Bizarre Supra Incident

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 01:22 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Bizarre Supra Incident

Not exactly a death or a kill, but ... you'll see.

A few nights ago I was at the local hangout/parking lot just minding my own business when a buddy of mine pulls in. He tells me something fast is coming to race him...

Supra shows up. The BOV was so loud that it caused my ears to ring when he spun it up in the parking lot. I get to talking to him and inspected his car. I see a Late model, automatic, with two stock-looking turbochargers under the hood (and some not-so-stock looking plumbing components), and a body kit. I know a stock Supra isn't terribly fast, but the guy told me he had upped the boost from 9 to 26 PSI (Or twenty-something... my memory is bad). Said the fastest he'd ever had it up to was 175. I figure... what do I know about Supras, right? It's not stock. The guy seems nice, and is taking folks out for "demo" rides in his car.

I know my friend is running a 100 shot on his 04 GT, 4.10 gears, and full bolt-ons (on street tires), and is a good driver. I notice the Supra is running on 18s though, with street tires. Guy gets back from the demo ride talking about how it was the fastest car he's ever been in. Everyone figures this ain't going to be pretty for my friend and his GT. We head out...

1st race, everyone is very excited to see what happens. They line up for the 1/4 mile...

Mustang GT puts ~ 5 car lengths on the Supra. Jaws meet the ground. Everyone is thinking that the Supra must have broken something. They come back, and get lined up again.

2nd race, again, 1/4 mile...

Exact same thing, maybe 6 car lengths this time. No one really knows what to say. Friend in GT pulls back in smiling big, but the Supra doesn't show back up. Guys driving out to watch the race say they say him heading back toward town on the main road... Someone later tells me that the guy put alot of money into that car, converting it from a single to a twin.

Needless to say everyone is still talking about it. No one knows what quite to think... Just goes to show you that you can really run into anything on the street, I guess, fast or otherwise.

I just wonder how long it took him to get it up to 175.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

good story

im sure if they went from a highway roll the mustang would probably have some trouble.

my 92 olds ninety-eight puts a car length on turbo-auto supras off the line. =]
Old 07-26-2005, 04:30 AM
Staging Lane

Drrr? A stock MKIV turbo Supra had twin turbos stock and was a step behind the LS1 in the quarter... mid-13s or something like that. I thought the way to make them significantly faster was to switch to a single big turbo, for big lag followed by big kick. If the guy was using the stock turbochargers, I'm not too surprised by the outcome. Do you know what happened as far as traction and all of that? Maybe the guy just didn't know how to drive...

Last edited by EugThinks; 07-26-2005 at 04:31 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 07-26-2005, 07:19 AM
On The Tree

if that dude didnt know how to drive an automatic, he is retarded.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:47 AM
TECH Resident

im no supra guy, but arent they made more for top end then acceleration. plus, ive read many storys of LS1s gettin killed by supras from a roll, but when they go from a dig the LS1 always ends up ahead, just my .02
Old 07-26-2005, 02:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mimic42100
if that dude didnt know how to drive an automatic, he is retarded.
I know plenty of automatic-drivers who think the gas pedal is an on-off switch... not that I disagree about the retarded part though.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:28 PM
Teching In

The most the stock twins can even push is like 21psi. Unless he was running race gas he shouldnt be running over like 16psi anyway.
When I was stock twins at 21psi with Nitto drag radials I ran low 12s at 120mph, for reference to what a decently driven auto could run.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:28 PM
TECH Regular

uh, aren't ya supposed to put a single on to increase performance in a Supra and not the other way around?
Old 07-26-2005, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

The only thing i can think of is that it was a older style supra that had the larger single turbo but not nearly the potential. If it was the last style then there is definatly a issue with teh amt of turbos that came with the car and what he upgraded to. Nice kill though

John
Old 07-26-2005, 07:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Drake
I just wonder how long it took him to get it up to 175.
he probably ment Kilometers an hour
Old 07-26-2005, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

There are aftermarket twin kits out there like the hks 2835's. They are easy to spot though.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know much about Supras either. The other day I was talking to this guy who said he had a TT Supra with a short throw, aftermarket BOV, and full 3 inch exhaust and he claims it ran 10s on Nitto DRs and stock turbos. I told him it sounded like BS but I don't know **** about Supras.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:16 AM
Launching!

The weird thing about this car was that it seemed to hold it's own through the 1000, but then fell on it's face on top end. Maybe he just didn't have it set up right. Who knows.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Detroitmuscle
I don't know much about Supras either. The other day I was talking to this guy who said he had a TT Supra with a short throw, aftermarket BOV, and full 3 inch exhaust and he claims it ran 10s on Nitto DRs and stock turbos. I told him it sounded like BS but I don't know **** about Supras.
definitely bs. If that is all had he'd be lucky to get to the 12's
Old 07-27-2005, 02:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Detroitmuscle
Total load of crap. The BOV and short throw wont reduce your times any really. And cars running 18-20psi, full exhaust setup, race gas, and a big intercooler run in the low to high 12s 95% of the time. Some automatics with high stall converters get in the 11s, but he is full of it.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok well I figured he was Bullshittin me but now that I know for sure I'm gonna find out if he even owns a Supra. Thanks guys.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:04 PM
Staging Lane

definitely bs. If that is all had he'd be lucky to get to the 12's
god damn ur cars bad as ****.

Ok well I figured he was Bullshittin me but now that I know for sure I'm gonna find out if he even owns a Supra
oh he does in his grand turismo game