Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Hate Slp Headers!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 03:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Hate Slp Headers!!!!

im installing my pacesetters now and i have to pull out the SLP's. what a PITA!!!! there is no room to wiggle them around. when i get these fuckn things out i am going to throw them on the interstate!!!
Old 07-26-2005, 03:21 PM
TECH Resident

Driver side = remove steering shaft
Passenger side = remove the whole girdle of coil packs and bottom heat shields, makes things alot easier.

Jack that ****** up as high as you can get it!
Old 07-26-2005, 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Driver side = remove steering shaft
is this also known as the knockle??if so, do i just unbolt it???
Old 07-26-2005, 03:52 PM
Banned

Don't throw them on the interstate! Someone will be unlucky enough to buy them from you
Old 07-26-2005, 05:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

whats wrong with SLP headers?
Old 07-26-2005, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

You must have not installed them right?

The dude I bought my SLP headers from didn't install them but took them out. He just left everything in and used a damn rubber mallet or something to bang them out. Its really not that bad if you remove the steering shaft thing and jack the transmission to make the engine go higher to allow more room for removal.

Good luck

And werd on the overkill of everyone who is always talking trash about these headers
Old 07-26-2005, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get a plasma cutter, sawzall, and furnace. That should take care of them!
Old 07-26-2005, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

And werd on the overkill of everyone who is always talking trash about these headers
SLP's are def pieces of donkey ****. They scrape everywhere and have the worst fitment.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:18 PM
Staging Lane

mine fit really well and i've only scraped once when going over a speed bump. they were a pain in the dick to get in though. but i think that's pretty much the case with any set of long tubes isn't it?
Old 07-26-2005, 06:19 PM
Staging Lane

mine fit really well and i've only scraped once when going over a speed bump too fast. they were a pain in the dick to get in though. but i think that's pretty much the case with any set of long tubes isn't it?
Old 07-26-2005, 08:19 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to undo the tranny crossmember brace and pry the tranny over to get my SLP's out. Only reason I went thru that trouble was to give them to a friend, otherwise I would have hacked them off with a sawzall. The QTP's slid right in (no prying).

Last edited by SouthFL.02.SS; 07-26-2005 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:21 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by diamond01ss
SLP's are def pieces of donkey ****. They scrape everywhere and have the worst fitment.
Plus they don't flow as well as Grott style LT's, nor offer the tq characteristics of Grott style LT's. Consider them long mid lengths.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had to undo the tranny brace and pry the tranny over to get my SLP's out. Only reason I went thru that trouble was to give them to a friend, otherwise I would have hacked them off with a sawzall. The QTP's slid right in (no prying).
well, im calling it quits. i have the headers hanging but i cant pry them out. im going to have a shop finish it up for me. i was thinking about going to buy a sawzall, but i will just let the shop finish it for me.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

carlos, i have a ? for ya. ive been running my car with no cats(had them gutted) w/the stock 02 sensors. i had the car tuned this past dec. the car still would sometimes backfire. i have 02 sims now for the new headers. do you think my stock 02's are fried, or will i be ok after the sims are put on? TIA
Old 07-26-2005, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I found if you loosen the K member it gave me the much needed room!!!
Old 07-26-2005, 09:33 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by diamond01ss
carlos, i have a ? for ya. ive been running my car with no cats(had them gutted) w/the stock 02 sensors. i had the car tuned this past dec. the car still would sometimes backfire. i have 02 sims now for the new headers. do you think my stock 02's are fried, or will i be ok after the sims are put on? TIA
Put the sims on the rear O2's for now, but get them deleted altogether with edit. I had to change out front O2 sensors every 6 months on my old setup. They would fry.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

i installed slp's 15-20,000 miles ago and removed them a week ago. The keys to a painless install/removal

1. Get the car up high. still not high enough... a little higher... ok, there you go
2. Remove oil filter
3. Remove intermediate steering shaft, 2 bolts, pull up
4. Unbolt transmission crossmember (4 bolts) and use a jack to raise/lower the tailshaft
5. Remove starter motor if need be (2 bolts and 2 wires)

This is all it takes, no hammers, no removing coil packs, no cussing even.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, probably a little cussing.

Afterall, you are throwing away a very expensive POS.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:49 AM
WOT
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by OldeSkool
i installed slp's 15-20,000 miles ago and removed them a week ago. The keys to a painless install/removal

1. Get the car up high. still not high enough... a little higher... ok, there you go
2. Remove oil filter
3. Remove intermediate steering shaft, 2 bolts, pull up
4. Unbolt transmission crossmember (4 bolts) and use a jack to raise/lower the tailshaft
5. Remove starter motor if need be (2 bolts and 2 wires)

This is all it takes, no hammers, no removing coil packs, no cussing even.

Not even that much. I can't believe that you guys are knocking these things that bad. The install was a breeze for me. All it took was 3 guys and about 10 minutes to get them up inside. (Entire process was about a 4 hour job with a few smoke breaks) Simply undo the tranny brace and support the tranny with a large floor jack. As one guy pulls on the handle and another pushes the jack, ease the header up into place. put in a couple of bolts and repeat for the other side. Starters, oil filters, and all that other stuff mentioned stayed in place. It was actually much easier of an install than i thought it was going to be. There should be no need to bang things around in there, but ido agree that having the car up high on a nice set of jack stands made things more comfortable under the car.

Now about the scrapping, i can see that for sure if you are going to be lowering your car. I don't have that problem as i prefer a drag set up vs. a cornering / street set up.

Give my idea a try bud. It should come out no problem.

lastly, as far as results from them. i had decent performance. All bolt ons and an old patriot 5.3 // 231/237 set up yielded me 448 / 410 at the wheels. not too shaby torque for having so called "LONG TUBE MID-LENGTH" POS headers and wal mart heads.

WOT

Last edited by WOT; 07-27-2005 at 05:55 AM.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:17 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WOT
Not even that much. I can't believe that you guys are knocking these things that bad. The install was a breeze for me. All it took was 3 guys and about 10 minutes to get them up inside. (Entire process was about a 4 hour job with a few smoke breaks) Simply undo the tranny brace and support the tranny with a large floor jack. As one guy pulls on the handle and another pushes the jack, ease the header up into place. put in a couple of bolts and repeat for the other side. Starters, oil filters, and all that other stuff mentioned stayed in place. It was actually much easier of an install than i thought it was going to be. There should be no need to bang things around in there, but ido agree that having the car up high on a nice set of jack stands made things more comfortable under the car.

Now about the scrapping, i can see that for sure if you are going to be lowering your car. I don't have that problem as i prefer a drag set up vs. a cornering / street set up.

Give my idea a try bud. It should come out no problem.

lastly, as far as results from them. i had decent performance. All bolt ons and an old patriot 5.3 // 231/237 set up yielded me 448 / 410 at the wheels. not too shaby torque for having so called "LONG TUBE MID-LENGTH" POS headers and wal mart heads.

WOT
Nice numbers for those shitty headers!!!!

Quick Reply: I Hate Slp Headers!!!!