Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon 2001+ CD question

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 05:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monsoon 2001+ CD question

allright ive read many places that this unit is capable of controling multiple aux conections, but no where says how to hook multiple up, can anyone help me out here please?
Old 07-28-2005, 06:21 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Get a GM9-AUX adapter from PIE (www.pie.net) and install it between the CD changer harness and the head unit. Then you will be able to connect both the factory CD changer and an auxiliary device such as satellite radio, mp3 player, etc. Earlier models required disconnecting the factory changer in order to connect an auxiliary device.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:10 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Cephiros and I discussed this through PM's not long ago. Here is a message I sent him. Take note of the part I underlined. Can anyone confirm if this will work or have any other ideas?
Originally Posted by VIP1
Im not a Monsoon expert, but from what I have read the 2001-2002 F-body Monsoon headunit can control multiple inputs, cycling through them by pushing the "CD/Play" or "CD/AUX" button on the headunit.

I dont know how its done though.

This might work for you though:
http://www.myradiostore.us/auxadapte...ger/x3gm9.html
Although with this device, the external CD Chagner must be present (accoding to the description on the site).

Did you say that you have the GM9-AUX?
http://www.myradiostore.us/auxadapte...r/gm9-aux.html
If so, you can just get a $20-$30 RCA input selector from anywhere and put it in-line to the RCA-IN of the GM9-AUX. Although, with this route, you'll have to get creative about witch switchbox to use and how to hide/mount it (for aesthetics) since they are meant for switching A/V source in a home environment.

I have the GM9-AUX in my car (and I bought it from www.myradiostore.com). It plugs in-line with the factory CD Changer (but I dont have one). Pressing the "CD/Play" button on the headnunit in my Formula switches from the internal cd player to the XM Satellite radio that I have connected to the GM9-AUX's RCA-IN. If I had the factory CD Changer then pushing the button again should swap to it. In that situation, the headunit would be swapping between 2 external sources. Its possible that is the limit of the radio, but I remember reading a doc somewhere saying that the 2001-2002 headunit can control more than 2 external sources, but I dont know how its done (brainstorm...maybe get another GM9-AUX and install it after the first one? hmm, I might try that).

Maybe you should start a thread on this. If you do I'll post this up in it.
EDIT:
I fixed the links

Last edited by VIP1; 07-28-2005 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:15 PM
TECH Resident

yeah i was considering getting the gm9, didnt know it ahs a passthrough cool, is it at all possable to make a passthrough to say, control 2 cd changers till i get an aux?
Old 07-28-2005, 09:37 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by Cephiros
yeah i was considering getting the gm9, didnt know it ahs a passthrough cool, is it at all possable to make a passthrough to say, control 2 cd changers till i get an aux?
That is what I mean by saying that the GM9-AUX "plugs in-line". You plug it into the back of the headunit and plug the CD Changer hardnes into it. Pressing the "CD/Play" button will cycle between the headunit, CD Changer, and AUX device.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:39 PM
Launching!

um, it doesn't have a passthrough. i just bought it to input my carputer in place of my CD changer. It plugs into the end of the wire and goes to a lil' box which converts the wires to RCAs. if u want i can post pics
Old 07-28-2005, 09:42 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by jrtf83
um, it doesn't have a passthrough. i just bought it to input my carputer in place of my CD changer. It plugs into the end of the wire and goes to a lil' box which converts the wires to RCAs. if u want i can post pics
I remember mine having a pass-through.
Are you sure that you have the GM9-AUX and not one of the others?

I'll have to take some pics and post them up (Its getting late --working in the morning-- and I dont feel like pulling my headunit right now).
Old 07-28-2005, 09:49 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

I just found a picture on Crutchfield:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-nJv4Tou...&display=L#Tab
It shows the pass-through.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:08 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The original CD changer cable plugs into the box and the box's cable plugs into the back of the head unit to provide passthru capability.

You could plug an addition changer into the GM9-AUX but you wouldn't be able to change tracks or discs from the head unit. All it provides is auxiliary line-level input from an auxiliary device - not control. Of course, you can still control the factory changer from the radio controls - just not the second device.