Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need help with an A/C problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 10:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I need help with an A/C problem

My car's A/C is not working. The blower is working and it appears the A/C clutch is engaged. The air from the vents is not cold. It is barely cool. About two weeks ago I saw some oil leaking/dripping coming from the A/C compressor area.

Is there a seal that that goes bad on the compressor or could it be a line leaking? Is there a common problem with the A/C's on these cars?

I am just trying to get a headstart on the repair and to see what I am getting myself into.

Thanks, any input would be greatly appreciated...
Gears
Old 07-29-2005, 12:15 AM
12 Second Club

Oil leaked out of my A/C compressor and it f'ed up, now i gotta get all the internals of the compressor flushed out of my system.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:57 AM
Teching In

Thank you for the reply spy. My compressor is still turning so far. I guess I will make sure not to try and run it.

I plan on fixing it very soon I'm trying to see what I'll need in parts. I also waiting for some time off from work to do it.

Does anyone else have any input?
Gears
Old 07-29-2005, 08:53 AM
TECH Resident

If the inside of the compressor came apart then you will need a new compressor (obviously) and a new expansion device, I'm not sure if our systems use an oriface tube or an expansion valve. When the compressor comes apart internally the oriface tube/expansion valve are what catches all the chunks in the system to keep them from getting to the accumulator/receiver dryer. If the compressor is just leaking oil then you just need a new compressor, not a big deal just a bit pricey.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My compressor clutch was engaged but the compressor wasn't compressing. I wound up getting a new (rebuilt) one, plus an accumulator and orificice tube. I replaced those items and got it flushed and recharged. $600-ish with PAG oil and odds/ends.

When you open your system and check your orifice tube, if there's chunks, it's bad. If there's no chunks, it's not AS bad. Still gotta flush it to be on the safe side, IMO.

None of it is difficult. Just scary the first time.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:08 PM
Teching In

Thanks everyone for the replies. I am pretty mechanically inclined, however I have not personally troubleshooted A/C systems before. I am learning a lot from you guys. Thanks again.

I took the car to a mechanic today to have them troubleshoot the system. I did this to save time and to possibly save me some money in the long run. I was planning to do the replacement work and then bring it back to them for a vacuum/recharge. I have went this routine on another car.

They recharged the system (added 6oz) and went over the system with a leak detector and he said he could not find a leak. He feels since the car had been sitting up for a while it caused the seal on the compressor to leak. He said he didn't want to just change out parts, which I kind of respect. The A/C is working and blowing cold. What do you think?

Gears
Old 07-29-2005, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you got a good shake from the mechanic and it did the trick.

Now you have enough dough left over to buy some good beer to celebrate your good luck...
Old 07-29-2005, 09:21 PM
12 Second Club

Your lucky, my compressor wasnt giving any cold air. Maybe it was divine intervention and the system just needed a check-up and thats how it let you know.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Sounds like your system was low enough from a full charge to have the low pressure switch cutting the system off enough to seem that it was not working. Once a full charge was completed the AC was working normally. We charge about 150-200 cars during late march to late August for this very reason. AC systems work around 250-260 plbs of pressure during peak seasonal temps and all systems will loose a few ounces of refriderant over a couple of years and need a few ounces to restore the system to full performance, glad that only a recharged was all you needed!