Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Beware the Mopar SRT-8s!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 11:16 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beware the Mopar SRT-8s!!

Anybody ever ran against one of these new Chrysler 300 SRT8s? I was headed down Pacific Coast Highway in SoCal last night.... long road that parallels the entire coast of Cali. Some guy in a brand new SRT8 wanted to play. I figured that I had him beat in hp and tq, plus his car is way heavier than mine. Hmmmm, shoulda thought harder. I'm pushing a 2000 WS6 with a mild 382 stroker (mild cam, ported/polished heads, all the bolt-ons, but stock exh. manifolds). I've got 3.42s in the rear, so my take off isn't what it could be. Once we were both stopped we waited for the light to turn green. I melted my tires off the line, and so did he. Even with wheelspin he pulled ahead and stayed about a fenderlength ahead of me. My hp and tq don't peak until about 3800rpm, and since there was traffic everywhere we had to shut down before we got into third gear. Second time we tried was the same thing.... except this time we had a clear shot. I finally edged him out and was able to lose him once the road started to get a little twisty. I still felt like a chump, though. Might be time for some 3.73 and a stall. Damn that car was fast. He had an aftermarket exhaust, sounded nice, but couldn't make it out. Either way, beware. They're out there now. I just can't figure out what to buy next. Any suggestions.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:49 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Somethings wrong if you couldnt pull hard on tht guy. He weighs ALOT more than you and you areputting out more power and more tq. Maybe he was spraying or something.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:00 PM
AOC
TECH Regular

Strange, your car weighs less and puts down more hp/tq so you should have pulled him pretty hard. SRT8 weighs nearly 4,200 lbs but is low 13 second car.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

373s and a stall are just going to make you spin 10x more, get some slicks or something next
Old 08-01-2005, 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

Wow, thats not normal. Sounds like maybe you were just spinning away a lot more power than he was. How fast did you guys race to? After you caught traction if you weren't gaining on him significantly well than he was definitely not stock, or else something is wrong with your car.

Don't get me wrong, these cars move pretty darned good and apparently some guy managed a 12.9 in one of these bone stock and he and his car are like the hero's over on the 300C forums, but that is not the norm. Most run in the 13.2 - 13.4 range.

When you ask what to buy next, I think its pretty obvious...Long tubes! That will uncap the cork on your power plant. You spent all that money on a 382, cam & heads and have less hp than many cam only guys do on a stock motor. Granted you have a lot of tq but you need to uncork the hp. For like $400 more, if you just chose a bigger cam (no more money) and added LT's, you could have been pushing a LOT more power. No offense, but it just seems almost pointless to even have the 382 with the way your car is setup right now.

Last edited by KB99WS6; 08-01-2005 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by KB99WS6
Wow, thats not normal. Sounds like maybe you were just spinning away a lot more power than he was. How fast did you guys race to? After you caught traction if you weren't gaining on him significantly well than he was definitely not stock, or else something is wrong with your car.

Don't get me wrong, these cars move pretty darned good and apparently some guy managed a 12.9 in one of these bone stock and he and his car are like the hero's over on the 300C forums, but that is not the norm. Most run in the 13.2 - 13.4 range.

When you ask what to buy next, I think its pretty obvious...Long tubes! That will uncap the cork on your power plant. You spent all that money on a 382, cam & heads and have less hp than many cam only guys do on a stock motor. Granted you have a lot of tq but you need to uncork the hp. For like $400 more, if you just chose a bigger cam (no more money) and added LT's, you could have been pushing a LOT more power. No offense, but it just seems almost pointless to even have the 382 with the way your car is setup right now.

Old 08-01-2005, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I noticed 382ws6 is in california. LT's are a potential problem when it comes time to emissions test a car. I've got all bolt ons except LT's 'cause I dont want to deal with it. However, I did get the stock manifolds ported for about 0.5 more HP.

I agree that he lost the race because of the launch. Good death.

I saw an srt8 last week on an open section of toll road. However, that section is notorious for cops w/radar and I still need to wait 12 more months before risking another ticket. Sucks for me.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:25 PM
Staging Lane

they are like 05 gto's on twenties. watch out dude and that exhaust was probably stock they sound pretty nice right out the factory. imagine if they were 6 spd. ill tell u what id definitely go to the dealer right now n trade my z28 if they were manuals. n those are most likely puttin down those 425 to the wheels cuz all chrysler srt vehicles do just that trust me i know i own one.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:40 PM
Racer

I ran a 300c srt8 about 2 weeks ago. We were at a stop light with lots of road ahead of us. I had my drag radials on. He looked and sounded stock. I blasted off the line with little to no wheel spin. Had about 2 cars on him on the take off. As the race went on i pulled on him pretty consistant but not hard. I was kinda barely walking away. I lifted at 120mph. By that time i had about 4 cars i guess. Hard to judge as i was only one in car and i had to pay attention to the road! But yeah they pull damn hard. If he had traction it might have been very close! My mods. are in sig.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ls1/srt
n those are most likely puttin down those 425 to the wheels cuz all chrysler srt vehicles do just that trust me i know i own one.
They only put down around 370rwhp. Thats still alot and yes they are a bit underrated, but not THAT underrated. The factory rating is 425hp, thats certainly not what they put to the ground, especially through the auto.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls1/srt
n those are most likely puttin down those 425 to the wheels cuz all chrysler srt vehicles do just that trust me i know i own one.
the srt4s listed power is to the wheels, but that's the only srt vehicle that is.....
They only put down around 370rwhp. Thats still alot and yes they are a bit underrated, but not THAT underrated. The factory rating is 425hp, thats certainly not what they put to the ground, especially through the auto.
only
that's more like it......
460 is closer than 425 as far as hp at the flywheel, and it needs all of it considering it's tankly figure....
Old 08-01-2005, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

A 382 stroker without a stall? Why?
Old 08-02-2005, 12:06 AM
Racer

just read in motor trend the magnum srt8 ran a 13.1@108! In a wagon! Thats nuts! Just thought i would share.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:17 AM
TECH Addict

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by KB99WS6
. . . When you ask what to buy next, I think its pretty obvious...Long tubes! That will uncap the cork on your power plant. You spent all that money on a 382, cam & heads and have less hp than many cam only guys do on a stock motor. Granted you have a lot of tq but you need to uncork the hp. . . No offense, but it just seems almost pointless to even have the 382 with the way your car is setup right now.
Ditto that.

And to the California emissions comment: the poster of the thread has already stated they are running a mild set-up and a mild cam.

You can run a cat'd LT and pass emissions. Some in other emissions states have run LT'S with NO cats and passed by running the car extremely lean for the sniffer.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Dragon
Ditto that.

And to the California emissions comment: the poster of the thread has already stated they are running a mild set-up and a mild cam.

You can run a cat'd LT and pass emissions. Some in other emissions states have run LT'S with NO cats and passed by running the car extremely lean for the sniffer.
Most California vehicles (1976 and newer) must pass Smog Check inspections every other year in order to renew registration in the state. The Smog Check inspection includes: a visual inspection to verify that all required emission systems are present; a functional inspection to verify that specific emission control systems are functioning; and a tailpipe inspection to verify that the vehicle’s exhaust emissions are within established standards.
i'm pretty sure long tubes aren't legal in california....they wouldn't pass the visual.......mild cams are allowed up to a certain point.....i remember one guy on the board talking about how they actually measured the lift of his and deemed it to aggressive.......
Old 08-02-2005, 12:12 PM
AOC
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jdustu
i'm pretty sure long tubes aren't legal in california....
Actually cars like F-Bodys, LT headers aren't legal in many states because it causes relocating cats, which is against the federal law.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:46 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

This auto maker Horse Power war is getting so good. Imagine what will be out in 5-10 yrs from now. A base Camary will have 300+ Im sure. Scary. Good run.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:50 PM
12 Second Club

Ditto to what AOC said. There are a lot of technicallities that most people don't think about, and that are paid attention to in some places and not in others.

In Cali I wouldn't be suprised if they followed everything by the book down to a T.

Here in VA we've got stations that don't even pop your hood, much less put it on a lift. And we don't have the "sniffer" here.......yet

As for the run, 425HP "rated" with a avg. 15% loss measures out to 360ish. I've heard rumors of some putting more to the ground. Either way, it's not like there was a "huge" difference in power. Obviously the weight difference is the main difference.

Some of you guys act like just because it's an auto it looses 100+HP, jeeeeze...

Jon
Old 08-02-2005, 01:02 PM
Banned

382 stroker and no stall or headers?????WTF?
Old 08-02-2005, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

fastest stock srt8 300 has gone 12.9, so they can haul serious ***.