Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

true duals or y pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default true duals or y pipe?

ok so i got my slp long tubes in my car but its making weird nosies under the car at idle like a knocking under my feet and when its off it makes a cracking sound,so i was thinking of getting a new y pipe or getting turn downs. what would you guys suggest?
Old 08-04-2005, 10:14 PM
TECH Regular

i did duals and will most likely never go back to the y-pipe.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

I bought my car with duals and went back to y-pipe as fast as I could.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

whats the drawbacks of the 2?,because i hate how the y pipe scrapes on the ground(slp)
Old 08-05-2005, 12:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default exhaust

If you want something you wont tire of, do duels over the axle and out the back, and do sound deadening on the floor. Intimidating sound, and tolerable inside.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:30 AM
Staging Lane

I went with True duels. I hade mine custom fabricated. I love them and the way they sound. I have the smallest vortec mufflers the shop had. They sound wonderful and are really free flowing. And twin 2inch pipes would flow 12cfm under no pressure and a single 3inch would flow about 9 cfm.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:50 AM
TECH Regular

the slp y-pipe sucks a big one thats why it scrapes all the time. bad design in my mind. there are many y-pipes out there that are infinately better then SLP. TSP has an adjustable one that i have heard you can get to tuck up nicely. my SLP y only eft me with about 2 inches of clearence. now the duals have about 4.5
Old 08-05-2005, 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm in the same boat man. I can't decide on Pacesetter LT's and the tsp true dualx or QTP's and the qtp catted y. Close to the same cost for both. The only reason I lean toward the catted y setup is that I already have the Rumbler catback on there, and emissions testing is strict in this county, afaik.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:42 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had: SLP Y-pipe, Custom 3" TD's and a QTP Y-pipe.

Everyone here bitches about the QTP Y-pipe hanging low, but I got mine (with the Electric Cutouts in place) to tuck up higher than my TD's.
The Y-pipes with the Flowmaster Scavenger Merge Collector (a true merge instead of one pipe slamming into another) flow arguably as well as TD's. QTP and Mufflex Y-pipes come with the Flow Collector.

I loved my QTP HVMC LT + QTP Dual Elect. Cutout ORY + SLP 2OTL combo.
If I got another F-bod, I'd do the same combo without the cutouts and gain even more clearance.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:56 AM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

I went with duals as well, and dont ever see myself going back to a y-pipe setup, ever. With cats and different mufflers, as well as location of exit (dumped, out the back over or under the axle) you can make duals work, and the deeper, more muscular sound is worth it every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Y-pipe setups just dont seem to have the ***** a TD setup does.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:58 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by josh99ta
I went with duals as well, and dont ever see myself going back to a y-pipe setup, ever. With cats and different mufflers, as well as location of exit (dumped, out the back over or under the axle) you can make duals work, and the deeper, more muscular sound is worth it every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Y-pipe setups just dont seem to have the ***** a TD setup does.
Dual Elec. Cutout Y-pipes do
Old 08-05-2005, 09:10 AM

Y-pipe - $130
Decent catback - $300+
Dual electric cutouts - $300+

You're looking at spending $700+ depending on your catback and electric cutout choice for a system that is too quiet with the cutouts closed, too loud with the cutouts open (essentially open headers), so it's never right on.

With TDs, I get the sound I want all the time. It's loud but liveable, and not annoying or overbearing. And it's only $420 from TSP with the TDs with Spiral Flows. Even if I wanted to change to some of the most expensive mufflers out there like Borla XR1s, thats only another $215 and $50 worth of work to get them on there, and I'm still under $700, which would be the minimum for the setup you're talking about, and I dont have a too quiet/too loud problem, I've got an exhaust that sounds good all the time.

And lets not talk about getting into a more expensive catback, then you're looking at over a grand for your setup. I could do TDs with any mufflers I wanted over the axle and out the back for the "perfect exhaust" in many people's opinion for the same price, and avoid the too quiet/too loud thing all together.

Sorry, just my opinion. I wished a y-pipe setup sounded better. I would have loved to have kept my Hooker catback and just throw a nice y-pipe setup on, maybe with some cutouts, but it just doesn't IMO. Different strokes for different folks though.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:13 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

^
I'm not talking about price, I'm talking about what made me happy.
The combo I put on had best of both worlds. Evil (cutouts open). Very sweet, deep and sophisticated (SLP 2OTL). It also flowed like a MF'r to boot!

The TD's I had shook my house- great fun for about a week, then it got old fast (even after swapping mufflers to quieter Magnaflow 4x9's).
Old 08-05-2005, 10:21 AM

What was it about the duals that you didn't like? I can see how the 2OTL would be sweet, but cutouts open would have been much louder than I would have wanted, and it wouldn't be a loudness that I could enjoy. Open headers are just too much for me, and thats basically what you have. I would also prefer it to be louder than the 2OTL half the time so just running like that wouldn't work for me.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:27 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

^ Clearance and overall loudness of the TD's were my dislikes.
2OTL w/o cats is loud enough (yet quiet enough) for my liking, and for when I wanted to cause a show, I'd open the cutouts from the switch.

Exhaust preference is all relative. I just don't like the assumption that a TD system trumps a Y-pipe setup in every aspect, when that is not the case. I had 5 exhaust setups on my car in 3 years (I had the money to do it, so what the hell), and I ended up going back to a Y-pipe without sacrificing performance.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:27 AM

I dont think many "intelligent" people would say a TD system is the best there is, period. It's all relative. Unless custom or 2.5" you lose a little ground clearance regardless of how much work you put into it, it is most certainly louder overall than most y-pipe setups, and it isn't necessarily the best in performance (although most TD systems will perform as well as the best y-pipe setups out there). I personally like the overall loudness of my TDs, and the SLIGHT loss in clearance (maybe 0.5") is worth the added rumble from the TDs. I never even thought about performance increases when I did my TDs simply because I think it's a wash if you're using good stuff. I just wanted that deeper sound that I haven't heard a y-pipe setup create.

Quick Reply: true duals or y pipe?