Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lost 3rd after trans-go fuddle install.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 11:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lost 3rd after trans-go fuddle install.

OK here goes the rest of the story. Got my car back from the shop this morning and it seemed to shift fine just sluggish taking off. I'm assuming this is normal with the stall converter). When I got in it to drive to lunch it didn't want to go into 3rd gear unles I let off the gas. It would then go into third and if I let off of it woul go into OD. This all started after I installed the trans-go, 3400 fuddle, and 24K tranny cooler. Any ideas as to what I may have done when installing the shift kit. I hope that this is nothing major the car was shifting perfect b/f the install and now this.
BTW the transfluid is just a tad over full. Also all the symtoms are at part throttle (1/2-2/3) b/c I don't want to beat on it if something's wrong.

OK here's some more info on what it's doing. When I take off at 1/2 throttle the car takes off and shifts to 2nd kinda hard (going to remove the washer when I pull the pan back down). The car keeps accelerating till about 40 mph then shifts to 3rd the rpm's go to around 4000 and stay there but the speed keeps climbing and the engine sounds like it's getting louder. When I let off the gas the rpms drop to around 2300-2500. As soon as I get on the gas they shoot right back up to around 4000. If I let off of the gas for as couple of seconds the car will finally drop into OD. I hope this description helps a little bit more than the original one.
I was wondering if the trans filter could cause this also. I didn't put a new one in b/c the one I got from Advance Auto was wrong. I believe it was for a deep pan transmission b/c my pan wouldn't fit with it up there. I will be putting one in tommorrow if I can find one that fits. I will also try to get up with fuddle and see if they have heard of this problem b/f and see if tuning will help.

Last edited by exstanger; 08-07-2005 at 11:57 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 08-06-2005, 12:11 AM
Launching!

what kind of computer tuning did you have done since that install?
Old 08-06-2005, 12:22 AM
TECH Regular

None yet I was hoping I could wait till the end of the month and send the computer to carolina auto masters then this winter take him the car and let him finish fine tuning. He's booked till mid Oct. already on Sat.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:29 AM
TECH Addict

Very likely just a tuning issue.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:49 AM
10 Second Club

I agree, sounds like tuning problems to me..
Old 08-07-2005, 01:18 PM
TECH Regular

So everybody seems to think it's tuning. I don't know but we'll see. I don't see how tuning is going to help but that's why I posted it up here. I guess I don't understand how the computer can make the trans slip when it is 3rd gear.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:00 PM
Restricted User

First off, get the fluid level right. Too much is very not good, no sense even posting that, you should have immediately taken some fluid out (vacuum pump/brake bleeder works great) and then drove to see how it acts. If its not good then post up about it.

Fluid level first. Fix it and tell what its acting like then.
If its still doing it, then I'd agree tuning. How many washers did the Trans Go get?
Old 08-07-2005, 02:19 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many washers did the Trans Go get?

What does this have to do with no third or slipping third?
Old 08-07-2005, 02:38 PM
Restricted User

Maybe I wanted to know? Glad you offered up some good suggestions to help the guy out rather than trying to be a critic or funny guy!

FWIW, the washers have an effect on line pressure, and I have happen to wonder how much difference there is b/w 1, 2, or all 3 washers and the amount of line pressure increase. Thanks.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

did you take the servo out of the case to install a corvette servo?
did you put all the chack ***** back in the correct positions?

if it shifted fine before and slips after, something happened in the valve body, 3rd servo.

g/l
kevin
Old 08-07-2005, 03:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CAT3
Maybe I wanted to know? Glad you offered up some good suggestions to help the guy out rather than trying to be a critic or funny guy!

FWIW, the washers have an effect on line pressure, and I have happen to wonder how much difference there is b/w 1, 2, or all 3 washers and the amount of line pressure increase. Thanks.
Well you asked the question, I asked why you want to know because it has nothing to do with the shift into third.
Not being a critic or funny guy.
Ask around, search here. The washers in the TransGo kit go in the second accumulator, they reduce second accumulator travel and also stiffen the spring making the 1-2 shift more firm or less firm. This has nothing what so ever to do with line pressure.
In the transgo kit there is a .500 boost valve and spring, this is what provides the boost in pressure.
I'm not trying to be funny, I'm not calling you stupid, you want to know, heres the answer, simple as that. I seen I could help you out, maybe not an answer to the original question but an opportunity to help at least some one.

I put the smilie up there because the washer thing has been discussed so much, I thought here we go again.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by exstanger
OK here goes the rest of the story. Got my car back from the shop this morning and it seemed to shift fine just sluggish taking off. I'm assuming this is normal with the stall converter). When I got in it to drive to lunch it didn't want to go into 3rd gear unles I let off the gas. It would then go into third and if I let off of it woul go into OD. This all started after I installed the trans-go, 3400 fuddle, and 24K tranny cooler. Any ideas as to what I may have done when installing the shift kit. I hope that this is nothing major the car was shifting perfect b/f the install and now this.
BTW the transfluid is just a tad over full. Also all the symtoms are at part throttle (1/2-2/3) b/c I don't want to beat on it if something's wrong.
Since I was questioned about not giving you help I can offer this.
If it were my car I'd take the trans back apart and recheck all steps.
Did they take the trans apart and install the 3-4 return springs from the kit?
Too much fluid might cause it to foam up, fix that problem.
My trans did some weird stuff after installing the kit like second gear starts, it went away after about 30 miles, I thought that was weird.
You can especially run into problems like this with shops that use thick high temp grease to hold stuff in place. Transgo sometimes suggests using thick grease to hold stuff.
This is a problem because the checkball or valve that the grease is holding won't work properly until the grease heats up and melts away.

Just my opinion but they should have taken the trans apart, installed the 3-4 springs, and adjusted the clutch clearance to .035-.040, and drilled the second release hole to .120, and drilled the third apply hole to .155.
The third gear shift is weak stock, the kit does not instruct to drill the holes big enough to feel it, then add a converter on top of that and you will hardly notice the shift. I bet if you put it to the floor once you will feel it though.

I also think you need tuning but it should live through one wot run maybe even a manually shifted run.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:24 PM
TECH Regular

Ok I installed the kit from Pro-built with one washer. He instructed me to install 1 washer at the most which I did, but his kit also had directions on drilling larger holes. I did not take the trans apart so I didn't install the spring kit. I don't think that 1/8" above full is the cause but who knows. I will pull the valvebody back down maybe one night this week and see if I left something out or dropped a ball and didn't realize it.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:28 PM
10 Second Club

I VERY seriously doubt that the fluid level has anything to do with your problems.. Lots of guys will run the 4L60E's with an extra quart on purpose and have 0 problems out of them..

I'm sure some will dissagree but I personally know a few guys that are doing this and I also know a guy that builds transmissions for living and is damn good with the 4L60E's and he has done this many times himself.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:09 PM
Restricted User

jason, got it. I am not a trans expert, but I am trying to collect data, thus experience with as much as I can. Thank you. FWIW, I was told the washer increased the line pressure by holding a valve open, or closed, longer or something to that effect.

I doubt 1/8" over would do it either, but I know my 4L60E did not shift at WOT at the track when I had about an extra half pint. As for 1QuickT-A and having an extra qt in there, no way it could shift in my car, might be due to the increased line pressure or other trans tuning previously done. My trans has always been very picky with the fluid level though.

jason...would drilling the hole larger, effect pressure for shifts? What about the trans-go added to an already worn bands, clutches and plates?
Old 08-07-2005, 11:00 PM
TECH Regular

OK here's some more info on what it's doing. When I take off at 1/2 throttle the car takes off and shifts to 2nd kinda hard (going to remove the washer when I pull the pan back down). The car keeps accelerating till about 40 mph then shifts to 3rd the rpm's go to around 4000 and stay there but the speed keeps climbing and the engine sounds like it's getting louder. When I let off the gas the rpms drop to around 2300-2500. As soon as I get on the gas they shoot right back up to around 4000. If I let off of the gas for as couple of seconds the car will finally drop into OD. I hope this description helps a little bit more than the original one.
I was wondering if the trans filter could cause this also. I didn't put a new one in b/c the one I got from Advance Auto was wrong. I believe it was for a deep pan transmission b/c my pan wouldn't fit with it up there. I will be putting one in tommorrow if I can find one that fits. I will also try to get up with fuddle and see if they have heard of this problem b/f and see if tuning will help. Also would installing the 2nd accumulator piston upside down cause this I'm just looking back though the directions and I may have.

Thanks for all the input so far!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by exstanger; 08-07-2005 at 11:54 PM.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:44 PM
Restricted User

So your saying you dont have ANY filter on there right now? Man, I could be wrong, but thats really not good. The filter is the pickup for the fluid which gives the pressure etc... You mean you left the old filter on right?
Old 08-07-2005, 11:51 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CAT3
So your saying you dont have ANY filter on there right now? Man, I could be wrong, but thats really not good. The filter is the pickup for the fluid which gives the pressure etc... You mean you left the old filter on right?
Sorry I wasn't clear about that I just put the old one back in. I have fixed it now.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:04 AM
11 Second Club

that shift kit is a bitch to get right... toook me three times to get it right.. go ahead and install all three washers while ur back in there, dont worry it still wont be to firm!
Old 08-08-2005, 12:10 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1_PNYTAMR
that shift kit is a bitch to get right... toook me three times to get it right.. go ahead and install all three washers while ur back in there, dont worry it still wont be to firm!
Probuilt recomends only 1 washer at the most with the larger holes in the seperator plate. I talked to them already and they said to take the one out for street use.