Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Best Setup??

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 12:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question The Best Setup??

i have a Z28 '98 the only mods that i have is the SLP flowpac and the SFC´s, so the next thing that i want to do is the exhaust system!! and here is where the trouble beggins!

headers: i wanted the SLP LT but now im not sure, which are the best ones?? in hp gain and quality??

y-pipe ???? same thing

hiflow cats??? do i really need them??

catback: im going for the borla non-ajustable or the borla proxs 3''

and about the cutout, some people say that in LS1 is not good, but i have my doubts, so if im not planing to put cam or an other big mods for now, is the cutout good for my setup????

thanks & im open to all kind of suggestions!!

ohh by the way my car gave in the dynojet 281hp- and 366ft-lbs at the wheels, so what i need is something that gives me more hp, but without lossing torq....

and one last question, shoul i go for the 3'' or the 2.5'' exhaus system??

Last edited by SOULPOWER; 08-11-2005 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

I call on 366ft/lbs of torque on a stock LS1 until you post up a dyno graph to prove it. No offense but post up.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:13 PM
On The Tree

maybe he meant 336....
Old 08-11-2005, 01:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Check out his sig.

Anyhow, I wanted to respond to your post initially, but had to do something @ work.

Avoid the SLP LT's like the Plauge. If you can shell out the coin, get the Kooks. Otherwise Pacesetters will do you just fine. If you're gonna spend the money on Borla, throw down a few extra and get GMMG. Otherwise Magnaflow gets my vote. As for the y-pipe, get the Kooks for the Kooks headers. I've heard the Pacesetter's y is hit or miss, TSP has good feedback pretty much all around. Hope that helps!
Old 08-11-2005, 01:34 PM
TECH Regular

ok ok, i know it sound crazy, but here it is my prove!!

ths cyphour_traq, so any one else??? please! im going to buy the catback this weekend, maybe more dont know yet!! so it would help me a lot!!

ths!!
Old 08-11-2005, 01:44 PM
TECH Addict

i think that was a comp error on the dynos part....the graph doesnt go to 366, 266 yes.

but anyways...i agree, no slp. my pacesetters were an easy installl if you wanna call installing headers easy that is. gmmg cat backs sound awesome, thas what i was gonna get til i decided on true duals. cut outs sound good with stock manifolds, never heard one w/LT's.

monterrey ca.? i suggest cats. i took mine off b/c i got duals and theres no point on havin em.

you'll prolly only need 2.5" but thats all about your budget and what you want...

hope this helps a lil
Old 08-11-2005, 04:13 PM
TECH Regular

If you are in CA then long tubes won't pass the visual inspection b/c the cat's will be moved from the factory location. But if that doesn't matter to you then I would have to suggest the set up in my sig. PC were easy to install about 6 hrs by myself and I had to take one of the headers off b/c I had the gasket in upside down. Just a little hint or two. Do not tighten the headers until you have the Y pipe on and if at all possible get an air ratchet. Oh and one more thing that doen't help with the install so much but wear long sleeves and at least a pair of machanics gloves. When I got done with mine I looked like I had been in a fight w/ a cat.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:31 PM
Staging Lane

bassani catback sounds VERY good, i had it on my car before i got my TD setup... if interested i have that system still laying around, AND a Jet Hot ORY, coated...

I HAVE VIDEO CLIPS OF THE EXHAUST ON MY CAR, AND THE ory WAS NEVER INSTALLED...

let me know if your interested, i'd be happy to work with you

also, i have coated jet hot long tubes on my car... they are GREAT i like them over the pacesetter... but if you have the money, kooks...
Old 08-12-2005, 12:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

yea, thats a computer error. your car has much closer to 266ft/lbs of torque. read the graph, don't just pay attention to the numbers at the bottom.

anyhow, my advice still stands. Pacesetter headers with magnaflow exhaust, or even hooker. that sounds nice and throaty when WOT.

true duals sound good, but are loud. TSP sells a good setup but won't pass Cali emissions.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would go true duals, its soooo mcuh better sounding than a catback. Im going to get QTP hi velocity 1 3/4 in LTs, Borla XR1 mufflers, and the Bassanit Stainless True Dual system from Vinci Hi Performance, theyre a sponsor on here and the price of the TD setup is about the same as a catback. And if i were you i would just keep your stock exhaust in your garage or something and when it comes time to smog it then just bolt it back on, that way you dont have to bother with cats.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:34 AM
TECH Regular

ths for all the comments!! i still thinking about it, but i let you guys know in the next days, what i decide!!!
Old 08-13-2005, 12:35 AM
TECH Regular

what u guys think about the SuperMaxxx headers???
Old 08-16-2005, 03:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
yea, thats a computer error. your car has much closer to 266ft/lbs of torque. read the graph, don't just pay attention to the numbers at the bottom.
Thats what i have been traing to make him to understand since we went to the dyno... , his car does not have 366lb/tq, but let him keep dreaming about.

He already take the borla, i liked the supermaxx, have anyone hear experiences with those??

Is Monterrey, Mexico, no emision problems here.... so forget Cats.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:14 PM
TECH Resident

TD's, pacesetter LTs and TSP true duals, $800, awsome nearly rasp free sound and near, if not the best performance gains, read around opn the site, there is tons of info and welcome
Old 08-16-2005, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by greatskiiiier
TD's, pacesetter LTs and TSP true duals, $800, awsome nearly rasp free sound and near, if not the best performance gains, read around opn the site, there is tons of info and welcome
im sure he means monterrey california. If your going to go LT's, id stay away from borla unless you like rasp.
Oh yeah if you go true duals, then you could go 2.5 inch. some go 3.
if its a catback definently 3 inch
Old 08-16-2005, 07:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by KrazyDan
im sure he means monterrey california. If your going to go LT's, id stay away from borla unless you like rasp.
Oh yeah if you go true duals, then you could go 2.5 inch. some go 3.
if its a catback definently 3 inch
ohhh, so thats why i failed geography last year, in that case get pacesetters, a catted Y and hooker CB
Old 08-16-2005, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by greatskiiiier
ohhh, so thats why i failed geography last year
He lives in Monterrey Mexico like i said.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:12 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by hz28
He lives in Monterrey Mexico like i said.

any ways, i decided to go with the borla catback, y-pipe with cats and cutout!!

headers???? dont know jet, maybe the new stainles hooker or JetHot

thats what im going to try for now, if i dont like it, ill switch to true duals

ths for all your comments, it really help me to decide which way to take!!