Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Does anyone make a grounding kit for the LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 09:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone make a grounding kit for the LS1?

If so who has them?
Old 08-13-2005, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Pro dyno does, but its inhouse only i believe
Old 08-14-2005, 02:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what? a grounding kit?
Old 08-15-2005, 02:18 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by msbz_ls1
what? a grounding kit?
Here's a thread with instructions on how to make your own Not LS1-specific, but should be able to apply more generally: http://350zmotoring.com/forums/showt...p?threadid=186

The description/definition posted in that thread says,
Automotive electrical and computer systems are designed to tolerate up to 100% noise on its input lines. Meaning, if the ECU is expecting a 12-volt input signal, the signal may vary in the range of 0 to 12 volts. Fluctuations in signal are due to noise in the system. Noise is generated by spark plugs firing, discharges through the tires to the road, alternator turning on/off, etc. In other words, there is a lot of inherent noise an automotive electrical system.

One of the best-proven ways to compensate for noise is with proper grounding.

When measuring a DC (direct current) signal, almost any kind of wire will due. However, when measuring a high frequency input (i.e. the mass air flow sensor or the air/fuel mixture sensor) it is necessary to run a ground wire in parallel with your signal. The engine grounding/earthing kit provides grounding along side each signal wire.

The 350Z Engine Grounding/Earthing Kit allows for cleaner data transfer to the ECU. The result is more accurate measurements by the ECU and therefore more accurate performance, smoother idle and acceleration.
And here's a webpage with photos of grounding kits on a few other cars: http://www.mattblehm.com/enginegrounding.htm

Last edited by ACW; 08-15-2005 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ive never been able to tell a difference but maybe im not that sensitive...
Old 08-16-2005, 02:10 AM
TECH Resident

I've gained a smoother idle, and a smoother power band from cruise to redline in a few imports. This on the factory ECU, as well as aftermarket standalone ECU's.

I've read some of the write-ups, and I'm a cheap bastard and was skeptical. I instead just picked up some standard 10ga wire(not the car stereo grade stuff) and normal eyelet crimps to make my own grounding system.

I added a few from the block to the body (about 4), the battery to the body(just a single 10ga connection), and thats it.

I also saw the voltage reading based on my HKS Turbo Timer go up about 0.2V. Interesting change to me at least....

Quick Reply: Does anyone make a grounding kit for the LS1?