Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP long tubes?'s

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 01:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP long tubes?'s

I have a few questions about SLP longtubes. Is there a difference in the '00 longtubes to the '02? Reason asking, a guy was selling his off an '02.Would it bolt in and will I need to get it tuned? Does anyone have them on on emissions needed car. If so, did you have problem passing?

Last edited by 00blackws6mn6; 08-18-2005 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:02 PM
11 Second Club

There are three different versions of the headers.

One with EGR and AIR (98-00)
One with AIR (01-02)
'Race' (EGR/AIR delete cars)
Old 08-18-2005, 02:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. Luos
There are three different versions of the headers.

One with EGR and AIR (98-00)
One with AIR (01-02)
'Race' (EGR/AIR delete cars)
And that is the same with all longtubes.

What kind of emissions test do you have to pass? If it's OBDII plug in you will be fine no matter what so long as you do proper editing/tuning to the PCM. I recommend getting race style with no emissions hookups at all and just ripping AIR/EGR out. I ended up blocking off the provisions for AIR/EGR on my jet-hots and now it looks like compared to some nice, clean race style headers. Would have been cheaper/easier to just delete air/egr early on too.

You do not really need air/egr for anything. They are simply dead weight and more crap in the engine bay that you must work around whenever you are in there.

If you don't have OBDII plug in diagnostics, you might be in trouble. Nothing but shorties or manifolds will pass a visual inspection, and getting a catted y-pipe with longtubes to pass a sniffer (asssuming no visual) is possible not not reliable, from what I've seen.

If you don't know what kind of test you have to pass you can try simply going to an emissions test site and asking a worker (what I did) or search in your regional section as I'm sure somebody has asked that about your state before. Typically whole states are done the same (but not always).

Edit: Oh yeah, BTW, SLP longtubes are nice quality and will make perfectly fine power, BUT they are a little on the expensive side and have bad ground clearance. They will be workable on a stock ride height car but definately avoid them for a car that is or will be lowered.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hi Folks
One more point, the AIR only is active during start up and does not come on after that time. During Startup the engine runs rich and the AIR helps dilute the exhaust gas.
Bill
Old 08-18-2005, 02:55 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bill's 02 Z-28 SS
Hi Folks
One more point, the AIR only is active during start up and does not come on after that time. During Startup the engine runs rich and the AIR helps dilute the exhaust gas.
Bill

Right. Along with an annoying whining/buzzing sound that always has people going WTF

It's there to help the cats. So now you see that if you don't have cats you REALLY have no need for AIR.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:55 PM
Teching In

I am trading this guy a (beater) car for his complete exhaust. So I'm not going to be picky about it. (SLP longtubes, high flow cats, y-pipe, and loudmouth). Not running the cats are out of the question. NC has visual inspections and is going to the sniffer. Any other info would be helpful

thanks
Old 08-18-2005, 04:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
Oh yeah, BTW, SLP longtubes are nice quality and will make perfectly fine power, BUT they are a little on the expensive side and have bad ground clearance. They will be workable on a stock ride height car but definately avoid them for a car that is or will be lowered.

I have the SLP LT's and I have almost no complaints about them on my stock ride height car. If you are going lower than 1", then I'd say you're going to have a problem. Honestly, I love the setup!!!!
Old 08-18-2005, 04:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00blackws6mn6
I am trading this guy a (beater) car for his complete exhaust. So I'm not going to be picky about it. (SLP longtubes, high flow cats, y-pipe, and loudmouth). Not running the cats are out of the question. NC has visual inspections and is going to the sniffer. Any other info would be helpful

thanks
You'll want to be carefull with that. If the person that does the visual inspection does thier job correctly, you WILL fail. Cats or not.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:06 PM
Teching In

why would it fail if all the emissions equipment is installed?
Old 08-18-2005, 05:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00blackws6mn6
why would it fail if all the emissions equipment is installed?
It is illegal to move the cats from their factory location. Longtubes move the cats FAR from their factory location. This makes them less effective as the temperatures are lower, and they also take longer to get up to temp on cold start.