Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new mods, same track time, WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new mods, same track time, WTF?

This sucks guys. I'm getting the same track times with some new mods. The first day at the track I had the following mods. Fuzion ZRi 245/50 R16; FRA mod; EGR tube chopped; descreened MAF; and 87 octane (before LS1 Tech) and I ran some 14.5 E/T's. Yesterday at the track, there was the same weather conditions. I got the same times with the rest of the mods you can see in my sig and running with 91 octane. I feel like I should have seen a better time. I removed the AIR check valves because they were bad when I ran the car the first time at the track. Also when I took out the old spark plugs they were all burnt up but two of them. Plus a lid, a cutout, and better gas should have done something IMOP. Oh yeah I also reset my pcm about 3 weeks ago by pulling the fuses after doing the rest of the mods. Do I need a tune? Are my tires not wide enough for the A4 3.23 rear end? Should I just go ahead and crush the car? Stock LS1's run 14.2 to 14.3 on this track. I'm running 14.5 with mods. PLEASE HELP ME. Any input would be great. Thanks alot guys.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

To be honest,none of your mods have really added alot of power.Except for the lid/cutout.And even that is maybe 10/25 hp.
Having a descreened maf could actually be hurting you.Throwing your tune way off.Do a search on descreened mafs and you'd be suprised at most of the responses.

Your 60' times could be hurting you as well.I've never heard of those tires,so are they even sticky at all?

I'm sure others will chime in,but thats all I can think of.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Those tires were on the car when I bought it. I did a search on this site and they seem to be good tires for the price but you get what you paid for. IMOP they aren't very sticky at the track. I even get a pretty good 2nd gear scratch. On roads outside of town with fresh asphalt they seem to grip really well. I can even stall up to 1200 rpm and launch good on the fresh asphalt. Kinda sounds like a double edged sword huh?
Old 08-20-2005, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well with your A4, you should be pulling 2.0 60's...and you dont really have any go fast mods.
What are your 60's?
Old 08-20-2005, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

Just wanted to say that I thought by going from 87 octane to 91 octane would have made a difference. Also if I get the car tuned do I need to replace the MAF or can the tune be done around the descreened MAF?
Old 08-20-2005, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

My 60's are 2.18 to 2.23
Old 08-20-2005, 07:47 PM
On The Tree

I should also probably tell you guys that the track is at an elevation of 2800'.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you dont have a whole lot of real mods going for you, but im surprised to see you are only running 14.5s

you might want to check on that MAF.

i was stock when i ran 13.78, on street tires. and after 3.73s, LTs, ORY, 3inch catback, ailr lid and bellows, and 85mm descreened MAF, i only ran a 13.43 and that was on SLICKS!

my ses light had been on, hadnt had rear 02s deleted yet. after doing that at TSP, my light came back on, went and had the car scanned, and the MAF was throwing codes. i pulled the cursed thing off and my car was running much better.

just my experience.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

Hey luvmeZ28, is that track in San Angelo pretty nice. I was thinking of making some passes there next year. My mother-in-law lives in Kingsland and I've seen the sign to that track on the way down there. Besides that though, how did you pull the MAF off the car and get it to run right. Speaking of the ses, I've had it scanned and the only codes I'm getting is the AIR system. Could that have some effect?

Last edited by dajodsterman; 08-20-2005 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dajodsterman
Hey luvmeZ28, is that track in San Angelo pretty nice. I was thinking of making some passes there next year. My mother-in-law lives in Kingsland and I've seen the sign to that track on the way down there. Besides that though, how did you pull the MAF off the car and get it to run right.
i put my stock maf back on, i guess i should have said that.

the track is pretty decent. there are a few fast cars that frequent out there(in the low 10s) and they get good times. they all say they run about the same here as the bigger tracks.

im actually working on putting together a friendly fbody event/race out there in october. you should really try to make it. i will be posting in the texas forum when all the details are worked out.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

Hey that event sounds cool. I'll have to start watching the Texas forum more often. Thanks for clearing up the MAF thing. Now that you've done that I guess it's my turn. My descreened MAF is just the stock MAF with the screen pulled out of it. I was careful not to damage the sensor or even touch it for that matter. The only ses codes I have is for the AIR system. Would any of this change your opinion? Thanks for the input.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:27 PM
11 Second Club

dont feel bad i got slower when i stroker to the 383 i still am using small cam and stock heads but what happene dto me was i lost traction with the new motor lol i went from a 1.89 60' to a 2.2-2.3 60' so i guess my problem is traction now. oh im running on 245/40-18's street tires