Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you make a LS1 fast.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 08:02 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How do you make a LS1 fast.

I am asking this because as I was driving thru Germany near the Switzerland border a Lambo kept on ******* with me. I know my car tops out at around 160mph how can if possible make it a 180+ car? I figure maybe a better cam,springs etc. but whatelse? gearing? tranny gearing? if I could hang with him at around 180 I would feel alot better next time instead of falling on my face at 160.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, if it's any consolation, he could have bought your car 20 times for what he paid for his "Lambo"
Old 08-25-2005, 09:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by taintedmeat
Well, if it's any consolation, he could have bought your car 20 times for what he paid for his "Lambo"

There is now shame in loosing to something 5x the cost of your car. If you have the money how about a blower/turbo setup, that will give him a real suprise If not get your self a good head and cam package and some supention might get you where you want to be. If you go with a high compression heads you can throw some juice at it in the top end so it will keep pulling past 160. Good luck.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

how about gettin rid of those 4:10's first
Old 08-25-2005, 09:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hawaiiboysz
I am asking this because as I was driving thru Germany near the Switzerland border a Lambo kept on ******* with me. I know my car tops out at around 160mph how can if possible make it a 180+ car? I figure maybe a better cam,springs etc. but whatelse? gearing? tranny gearing? if I could hang with him at around 180 I would feel alot better next time instead of falling on my face at 160.
although its possible, if might not be the most feasable. To have a car with a high top speed is easy, to get one to accelarate quickly from a stop is easy to get it to do both, and handle well and be stable enough at speed costs lots of money.

If you really want to be able to go that quick, sell your Fbody (yes, I know sacralige) and buy one of these:

Maybe pop over to the UK to get one. Either can be had for around £15k. Your Fbody is probably worth £10-13k in the UK market.

Both of the TVR's can exceed 180mph stock and will run pretty good down the 1/4 mile. A few months back I saw a stock Cerbera pulling easy and consistant 12.4's - completly stock, average drive and regular tyres. Track prep was non existant. With a slick driver, DR's and powershifting you'd probably see high 11's without any mods.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

At a high level, you need the following:

- Suspension
- Brakes
- Areodynamic improvements
- Power

Of course you can do 180mph with just more power and some gearing, but you'd better do it "safely". 180mph in a stock suspension fbody is scary ****. No thanks...

Ask Boyce...he's our resident 200mph+ fbody nutcase. He goes by NATASS.

On a personal note, I would've loved to catch that Lambo on the Autobahn. Slow him down to 50mph or so then...
Old 08-28-2005, 12:56 AM
On The Tree

when you're talking about extremely high speeds, aerodynamics plays a HUGE part. every mile per hour faster you go is going to take more power than the last mile per hour. you're going to need to drop the 4.10s also, and get back down to at least 3.42s, if not 3.23s. to increase your speed from 160 to 180 is going to take a pretty substantial power increase as well, you'll probably need some sort of forced induction setup, or a very good head/cam setup. like someone else mentioned, suspension is important too, as well as the tires you have. you might also want to look into some weight reduction for your car also.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bad0211secws6
how about gettin rid of those 4:10's first
the 4.10s are in my Z I have my SS with me it still has the 3.42 in the rear.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:52 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
although its possible, if might not be the most feasable. To have a car with a high top speed is easy, to get one to accelarate quickly from a stop is easy to get it to do both, and handle well and be stable enough at speed costs lots of money.

If you really want to be able to go that quick, sell your Fbody (yes, I know sacralige) and buy one of these:

Maybe pop over to the UK to get one. Either can be had for around £15k. Your Fbody is probably worth £10-13k in the UK market.

Both of the TVR's can exceed 180mph stock and will run pretty good down the 1/4 mile. A few months back I saw a stock Cerbera pulling easy and consistant 12.4's - completly stock, average drive and regular tyres. Track prep was non existant. With a slick driver, DR's and powershifting you'd probably see high 11's without any mods.
Wassup man. My car was delivered to england then I drove it to Greece where I am currently stationed. I will be stationed in England for a few years starting next june-july timeframe. Maybe you can show me where that drag strip and a good road course can be found.

Quick Reply: How do you make a LS1 fast.