Question about a title transfer

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 03:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about a title transfer

OK, here goes the story. I bought an 86 z28 from a dealership (one of the small mom and pop ones) in 00/01 for $3000 and financed half of it. Shortly after, I got my 98 and the 86 got put on the back burner as a project that never saw the light of day. Anyhow, I recently sold the car and went to city hall to get a duplicate of the title thinking I had misplaced it. As it turns out, I never recieved the title meaning that it is still in the name of the dealer who sold me the car. Went to the dealer to get them to release the lein and put the car in my name. When I got there, I discover that they are out of business.

Where do I go from here? How can I get the title for the car? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 08-26-2005, 03:38 PM
Curveball TECH

I would do some research on the dealership and try to find out some names of who owned it.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had major problems with a title transfer as the people I bought my camaro from screwed me really bad and I ended up having to get a bonded title. It's a fairly easy process but it will cost a little money, shouldn't be too much for an older vehicle though. You might also trying to see if you can find out who these people were and look them up. And call the department of transportation. They can be really helpful, as they were with me.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes I would call DPS tell them what the situation is. They may retitle it for you. If anything they can find who had the title last and the name that is on the title so you can get in contact with that person. Good luck with this one :brick:
Old 08-26-2005, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Or, for $10, you can join publicdata.com and all you have to do is type in the car's vin and it will tell you the name on the title.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not sure if dps will tell you the name on a title.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:00 PM
Staging Lane

At the local city hall they ran the VIN for me and confirmed that the leinholder was the dealership. So I would imagine that it is the business that no longer exists that owns the car. At least, I think that is what that means?
Old 08-26-2005, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, that one's a little weird. Just call txdot and they'll let you know what you need to do, but like I said before, you may have to get a bonded title unless you can find a way to contact these people...and they're willing to help you.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:39 PM
Ginger Hater

Originally Posted by monicaz28
Yeah, that one's a little weird. Just call txdot and they'll let you know what you need to do, but like I said before, you may have to get a bonded title unless you can find a way to contact these people...and they're willing to help you.
I used to work for TxDot in Vehicles Titles and Registration. Go by one of their regional offices and talk with them.

heres a link:
http://www.dot.state.tx.us/vtr/regof...regoffices.htm

unless you track down the owners(dealer) the only path is to do a bonded title, and its an easy process.

-jon
Old 08-26-2005, 06:45 PM
Staging Lane

any idea how much that might cost?