TEXAS - LETS HELP OUR FELLOW AMERICANS AFFECTED BY HURRICANE KATRINA

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 04:52 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default --> LS1TECH: IT'S TIME PUT OUR MoNEY WHERE OUR MOUTHES ARE <--

HEY LS1TECH

I dont know how only 37 people have read that other thread, but let's go - its time to put up!!!!

We can all afford to mod our cars and buy 3.00/gallon gas so lets send some of that $$$$ to those who need it more than we do!

New Orleans is a total loss after this hurricane, and watching the TV and hearing whats going on down there is truly terrible, it breaks my heart. Do your duty to those in need and get yourself to the donation site at redcross.org and help out these people who have lost their entire lives!

Brad

http://www.redcross.org
Old 08-30-2005, 04:58 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Default Ls1 Tech - Lets Help Our Fellow Americans Affected By Hurricane Katrina

Thank you J-Rod.

Originally Posted by J-Rod
Anyone who would like to donate can do so by coming to San Jacinto Mall, Entrance # 2 (Old Montgomery Wards Area) which is located on the South West side near Garth Road. If you need additional information, please do not hesitate to call me at 281-421-3908.

In addition, we are also recruiting volunteers to assist us in handling & receiving donations, as well as volunteers for the shelters. If you would be interested or know someone who might be interested in lending a helpful hand, please do not hesitate to contact me.

We are at 250 people in our gym.

----> We need: <----

+ cots (Red Cross could only get us 25)

+ air mattresses

+ pumps for air mattresses

+ laundry detergent

+ change for washaterias

+ pick up wet towels, wash and return

+ volunteers to take shifts (around the clock)

You can leave name and number with receptionist and I will call them back to schedule if they can spend time here helping out.

Clothes donations should be taken to New Horizons...we don't have room. I understand they will be given vouchers to go there and get clothes.

Last edited by Diolar Magnum; 09-01-2005 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i immediatly (sp?) donated, **** $25, that aint **** to me. BUT if EVERYONE gave $25 it would be huge....
especially at a time like this. these people got their **** ruined.... we can help em out a bit.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:26 PM
12 Second Club

I support our neighbours by taking my friend in and providing him a home while he attempts to rebuild his own.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:42 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Originally Posted by 02Z28EVLM04
I support our neighbours by taking my friend in and providing him a home while he attempts to rebuild his own.
that's what I'm talkin about
Old 08-30-2005, 08:03 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just donated.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:24 PM
TECH Regular

Actually I don't have the money for the exorbitant gas prices and my car has been broken down in my parents garage for the past 3 months now...but I do believe it a good idea to donate. A much easier way and slightly more rewarding for most would be something like all ticket sale from the movie box offices, for one weeks time, were to be donated to a relief fund rather than fattening some already rich actor/director/writers pockets. That's what I'd like to see. That alone in itself I'm sure would help out ten fold. Everyone will pay $10 to see a movie but hardly anyone can put themselves aside for a moment to spend money that really matters. Sorry, I'm just bitter. But you can't tell me that that wouldn't get the job done. You always hear celebs talk about it but it's always asking others to donate. Musicians are the only ones I know that truly put their money where there mouth is.

Justin
Old 08-30-2005, 08:30 PM

I dont have the money to mod or pay for gas

The destruction is just unbelievable. Ive been watching since Sat. Now Im watching MSNBC and the pics and video is just unbelievable..... Ill try to give what I can.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI for those that work for larger corporations (and some smaller ones too), they will sometimes do a company match for what the employees donate, so that in effect doubles the money donated, so check with your HR dept @work and see if they have this program in place
Old 08-30-2005, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The gov't will clean it up.

Hey, at least I'm honest and not lying. Sorry I feel for them, but I'm not donating.

I guess I'm a heartless bastard.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:05 PM
Texas Director

My heart goes out to all of those people in LA, MS, & AL that lost everything. That could have easily been us. We're overdue for a major hurricane and I couldn't imagine going through what they're going through right now.

I'm going to make a donation to the Red Cross. Imagine if every American would just donate $20 to the Red Cross. There would be a ton of money to help those in need. I'd like to know if all of these other countries we've supported over the years with their disasters are going to help us out? They damn sure ought to, but I doubt any of them will exept for maybe Great Britain. Its always a one way street.

Our government needs to worry more about the welfare of our own people here first rather than these other third-world countries. Now is the time that we need help in what will probably go down as the worst natural disaster in America's history.

I'm going to make this a sticky so as many people can see this as possible. Lets all do our part to help our fellow Americans in this time of need.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:17 PM

Thats true. They chose to live somewhere thats below sea level and has to have levys and pumps to keep the water out, but anywhere you live your screwed. Hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes, blizzards.... ANY states that boarder water are at risk.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Great post, mmiller, how about putting this up in the Racers Lounge aswell, Im sure there are some other memebers that would help too.

Sounds like things are getting worse over there as we speak.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:52 PM
Texas Director

Originally Posted by Brandon
Great post, mmiller, how about putting this up in the Racers Lounge aswell, Im sure there are some other memebers that would help too.

Sounds like things are getting worse over there as we speak.
Done!
Old 08-31-2005, 12:43 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

From my church in Baytown.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 12:08 PM
To:
Subject: Mass Mailout

Please be advised that San Jacinto Mall has volunteered as a donation drop-off site, for the next couple days we will be accepting donations to benefit the Red Cross. Donations are being requested in the form of gas cards, food vouchers, non-perishable food items, bottled water, towels, wash cloths, toiletries, feminine products, blankets, pillows, diapers, powdered infant formula, etc. We will begin accepting donations today, during regular mall hours (10a.m.-9p.m.). All donations will benefit the local shelters in place.

Anyone who would like to donate can do so by coming to San Jacinto Mall, Entrance # 2 (Old Montgomery Wards Area) which is located on the South West side near Garth Road. If you need additional information, please do not hesitate to call me at 281-421-3908.

In addition, we are also recruiting volunteers to assist us in handling & receiving donations, as well as volunteers for the shelters. If you would be interested or know someone who might be interested in lending a helpful hand, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 9:01 AM
To:

We are at 250 people in our gym.

We need:

cots (Red Cross could only get us 25)

air mattresses

pumps for air mattresses

laundry detergent

change for washaterias

pick up wet towels, wash and return

volunteers to take shifts (around the clock)

Can leave name and number with receptionist and I will call them back to schedule if they can spend time here helping out.

Clothes donations should be taken to New Horizons...we don't have room. I understand they will be given vouchers to go there and get clothes.

PRAYERS!!!!!

Linda Taylor

Memorial Baptist Church

600 West Sterling

Baytown, TX 77520-4553

281.427.1725 ext. 208

281.422.4915 fax

linda@memorialbaytown.com

Sent: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 2:11 PM

To:

Plans have changed for the feeding of the homeless of Louisiana. We will be feeding them on Friday, instead of Wednesday. Please, still bring your items to the CLC kitchen by Thursday evening. The church will be open Thursday evening 6:30 p.m.-8:30 p.m. The meal will be served at the Baytown Community Center. Help is need in preparing and serving. If you can help or need more details contact Terri Coker at 832-556-8581 or e-mail her at: thecokers6@aol.com.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:18 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 4:30 PM
To:

Subject: Fun Day

Hello Everyone,

I'm emailing everyone to let you know about a FUN Day this Sunday at Highlands Little Leauge Park for the evacuees at the Baytown Civic Center. There will be moonwalks, baseball, and lots of fun for the families affected by Hurricane Katrina. If anyone is interested in helping or has any ideas please contact Leonard Stuart at 281-728-0709.

Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 4:41 PM
To:

was just informed at work that Living Hope church on 146 near I-10 opened their doors to over 150 evacuees and since they did not have their application in with Red Cross, they are not receiving any help from them. The youth director, Frank Fugere 281-383-3878, called up here to the Goose Creek CISD administration building and was asking how he could spread the word. I have contacted the church (Frank was out but we spoke with Wanda Rogers) and they are going to email us their needs. The shelters with Red Cross are filling up fast around here and I would hate for this one to not be able to take people. I thought that maybe this could be mentioned at the community-wide worship service this evening. I will forward any information they email me in case anyone is interested.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Imagine having nothing left in the world but the clothes you are wearing at this very moment. EVERYTHING that you've worked for is gone and taken from you in a few short hours. You have no HOME, no CAR, no FOOD, no WATER, all of your possessions have been destroyed and access to medicine and/or medical care is also gone. Your income immediately stops because you no longer have a job to go to as your place of employment has also been destroyed.

While listening to the radio today, I heard some of the most heart-wrenching stories from actual storms victims that retreated to the safety of Houston. One victim called in to say he and his family were headed back to Baton Rouge to stay with some friends, but before leaving Houston he needed to buy a tire for his Expedition. While completing the purchase at the tire store, the clerk asked him for his home phone number. The guy replied "sir, I no longer have a home phone number because I no longer have a home". The only possessions this family have left are the items in the back of their SUV.

The wrath of Katrina will be felt by many for a long, long time. The lives of those affected by this disaster have been changed forever. While I sit in the comfort of my air-conditioned home, I am thankful that I have a job to go to every day and even more thankful that I am able to donate some of my hard-earned money to those in need.

Every little bit helps... please do what you can.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:52 PM
ESR
LS1TECH Sponsor

Default .....

One of our FI forum members lost his house, and two cars.........one his turbo TA..........member name arkangel
Originally Posted by mmiller
Done!
Old 09-02-2005, 02:05 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

If you are in the Humble/Atascosita/Kingwood areas, here is another place:

The Walden Social Club and Walden POA wish to assist Katrina Victims. We have been in communication with the Red Cross and Salvation Army and they have indicated to us, that they will be taking the following list of items as donations in the next few weeks.

We are therefore asking everyone in Walden to open your hearts and help, by gathering up the following lightly used items and donate them to the victims. Bring your donations to the Country Club on Sunday morning September 11, 2005 at 10:00 a.m. Volunteers will box up the items by category and all will be delivered to the Red Cross and Salvation Army.

List of Items Needed:

New toothpaste & toothbrushes

Soap & shampoo

Diapers, bottles, wet wipes

Towels, sheets, blankets

Toilet tissue & kleenex

Small toys for children

Clothing for men, women and children

New underwear and socks

Quart & gallon size plastic zip lock bags

We need volunteers to help sort and box up donations. Please contact Yolanda Waters at 281 852-3310 or e-mail Yoewaters@aol.com.

Tell a friend

Walden on Lake Houston Golf & Country Club
18100 Walden Forect Drive
Humble, Texas 77346
P: (281) 852-3551
Old 09-02-2005, 02:16 PM
TECH Veteran

I sent a ton of childrens clothes with my mother-in-law to work today. Someone from there is going to take them somewhere else. I have always been a kind of weary about donating money just because I am not handing it to someone myself and know where it is going. I would rather donate clothes, food, water, anything like that. Go to the store and buy the food and take it somewhere even. Maybe a bunch of people can go in and get wal-mart gift cards. That way people can buy food, clothes, batteries, or whatever they need. Just an idea.