Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

need a little help, car is poping out of gear and hard to get into gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need a little help, car is poping out of gear and hard to get into gear

Hey guys, Well i just installed a spec 3 w/ billet flywheel. I broke the clutch in and it feels fine.... until i try to speed shift. It kinda grinds going into gear and it has started poping out of 4th. I installed a pro 5.0 today and was hoping that would help but its still the same. When i had the clutch installed i put willwood high temp brake fluid in hoping to stop the fluid from boiling. I was going to bleed the system and see if that helps, or should i take the brake fluid out and try something else? Any ideas what else it could be? thanks guys. Charles
Old 09-18-2005, 02:30 PM
wrencher

Grinds all gears speed shifting? Have you done the drill mod?
Did you replace the slave?
Old 09-18-2005, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

the shop was susposed to do the drill mod but some how i think i got screwed. i will have to check myself and see if it was done.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:10 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Might be a bent shift fork is it 3rd or 4th gear?
Need to get some steel shift forks if you are going to have to rip into the T-56. Great upgrade if you ask me. or you might be seeing the begining of synchro wear and tear.

Last edited by orangeapeel; 09-18-2005 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:36 PM
TECH Regular

Did you install the shim included with the Spec 3 kit? It is essential to the kits proper operation. The clutch can get a "crashed pedal" and not disengage completely under hard driving w/o it. If your trans is popping out of any gears then you have likely rounded off the teeth of said gear and it will need replaced along with related synchros. As said above be sure to replace the 3-4 shift fork w/updated steel version. Also, if the clutch fluid you used is synthetic replace it immediately with non-syn brake fluid or GM clutch fluid. Most high-performance clutch kits do not recommend syn clutch fluid. Hope this helps.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:15 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Correct me if i am wrong, but I think that you only have to use the shim kit that it comes with only if you plan on not getting an adjustable master cylinder. The Shim can wear down over time as well so keep that in mind too.

But if you ask me it is your shift fork that is bent. I am willing to bet on it from the symptoms you described above.

Last edited by orangeapeel; 09-18-2005 at 09:20 PM.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks guys, i will try bleeding it first and go from there. i hope it isnt a bent shift fork buy it probabaly is. i gave the shim to the guys at the shop and told them to use it but there again, i will know when i tear into it.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:14 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

If they have to take it apart:
Get the steel shift forks and the Viper synchros.
And if you just have lots of extra cash some hardened input/output shafts.

I had the same problem only mine got stuck in 5 because i bent the fork then i broke it off. I had to drive it 3 miles home in 5th gear through 1 stoplight and 3 stopsigns! so i naturally replaced the clutch after that!

Good luck with your findings! Hope it isnt anything to serious.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Correct me if i am wrong, but I think that you only have to use the shim kit that it comes with only if you plan on not getting an adjustable master cylinder. The Shim can wear down over time as well so keep that in mind too.

But if you ask me it is your shift fork that is bent. I am willing to bet on it from the symptoms you described above.
The shim does not wear down! That's impossible. The shim is just a plate that sits between the slave cyl and gear box. All it does is move the slave closer to the pressure plate. Install it, period.

Try the easy things first. You may have air in the lines causing the clutch to not release all the way. Bleed the hell out of the system again, then do it again untill it stops getting better. Good luck man
Old 09-19-2005, 02:08 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

A shim can eventually wear down on a clutch. Look it up.
I can't see that being the issue here though.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks guys, i will try the easy stuff first. I never had a problem until i installed my heads and cam. After that ive had issues and have only been to the track twice. I never went to fourth at the track, it was at a street race that i found out fourth was messin up. cost me some money so im pissed and i have to fix it. I am bleedin the clutch in a little bit.thanks guys. Charles
Old 09-19-2005, 01:40 PM
Launching!

when I installed my pro 5.0 shifter, I had to adjust the shifter screws a couple times because it was poping out of gear under hard driving. when there perfect use locktite.
Its been fine, that was 3 years ago.

worth a look

Last edited by Red Cell; 09-19-2005 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have adjusted them one time already but i will check them again just to be sure. thanks
Old 09-22-2005, 05:35 PM
Teching In

Hey silverbeast, I know what will fix it, buy a o3 o4 cobra, prob. solved, and youll be faster too!
Old 09-22-2005, 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trolls on the forum. Alert! Alert! Person with ***** envy is mad about buying an inferior car and even joined a rival site as result.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:45 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
A shim can eventually wear down on a clutch. Look it up.
I can't see that being the issue here though.
I don't see how a 1/16 inch solid steel shim that sits behind the slave cylinder could "wear" at all. There are no moving parts that contact it. Maybe the clutch could wear over time and make the shim less effective...?
All I know is I had a crappy pedal after shifting hard before putting in the shim and that is exactly what the instructions w/the Spec 3 say will happen if you don't install it. Put it in and shifts great ever since...
Old 09-23-2005, 11:11 AM
Teching In

Hey whisper, TROLL this you 8 nothing 1/8 mile car, if your anywhere near w/s nc. you can get it , well hell all of you slow ls1 cars can , you all are 8 sec. rides. let me know when your 6 sec. ride. SVT 4 LIFE........................
Old 09-23-2005, 11:26 AM
TECH Regular

Hey everyone! Maybe we should all go to the SVT/Cobra sites and talk about how slow Fords are unless you put supercharger or nitrous on them! We would be cool then! It might even make us think our own cars are much faster then they really are!!!
Old 09-23-2005, 02:34 PM
Teching In

Look 98, dont get me wrong, i'm sure 400 horsepower makes u think your fast, but the fact is ford did there homework in 03 04, i'm just sharing the joy of being fast. P.S. you gt 2 cars when ever you want them. P.S.S. ucan even keep you hood down, now don't you feel better.. SVT 4 LIFE....
Old 09-23-2005, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZLS1KILLA
Hey silverbeast, I know what will fix it, buy a o3 o4 cobra, prob. solved, and youll be faster too!
Sorry, but that wont fix my problem. You live near winston salem? maybe you should come up to piedmont sometime and show me a 6 sec 03. I would like to see it because all the ones i see are making 460 rwhp and can barely get out of the 8's. you must have a kenny bell or whipple on yours to be going that fast. I try to make it to the track on sundays, pm me if you are going and ill meet you down there. Charles

Quick Reply: need a little help, car is poping out of gear and hard to get into gear