Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rethinking my setup...What do you think??

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rethinking my setup...What do you think??

Well, I've been putting this "package" together for about 2 months now. I'm down to only needing/wanting a few things to get it where I want it, & have had a change of heart. My setup looks like this:

Precision Porting stage 3 heads www.precisionporting.com/index_files/Page441.htm
LGM G5X3 114 cam
PRC gold valve spring kit
Trick Flow 7.4 pushrods
Rollmaster double roller
LS6 oil pump
160* stat
36# flow matched injectors

& I'm wanting either a LS6 intake or FAST 90 to complete it. The problem is, I'm rethinking my cam selection. My car is a 6sp, & my dd, so I really don't want to lose any low end on it. Although, I will be doing quite a bit of drag racing after the install.

I'm considering a smaller cam, something like a FM13/14, TSP 233/239, maybe the torquer, or Magic Stick V.3??? I will say this, I'm not all that comfortable reving the $hit out of it, so that should help me make a decision.

What do you think guys??

-Tucker

Last edited by TSDuke; 09-20-2005 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:55 PM
TECH Resident

Don't be a *****. That's what I think.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:42 PM
12 Second Club

I'd just use a stcok Timing chain. The double roller is a pain in the *** and you will rarely hear of a stock timing chain breaking. Me and my friends have a crapload of cars at the tracks even in the 10's with stock chains. I forgot the reason with the Double roller, maybe someone can chime in.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Use the LS2 chain. It's heavier and plenty. If you ever get to W.S. you can see the FM13 in my car, an A4. In fact come to the car show next month. Here's a link. Click on the yellow copy.
http://www.modernautonet.com/
Joe
Old 09-19-2005, 08:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The X3 is in the size range of the other cams you have listed. The MSV3 is actually larger than the X3. With your car being a stick, I'd run the X3 all day long. Now as for those heads you have listed, I've never heard of them or heard of any results coming from them. For the price they are charging, you could get a set of TEA Stage 1.5's that would put the others in the grave. One thing you have to undserstand is, Stages have no set boundries. Just because one guy says Stage 3, dosen't really make it any better than anyone elses Stage 1. Stick with someone reputable and proven. I guaruntee the TEA 1.5's would out perform the heads in question for basically the same price.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:00 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the replies guys.

FormulaFire, lol, thanks for being so technical with your response, I'll consider it.

Y2K SS, I already have the items listed, so I'm probably going to just stick with the rollmaster, I don't want to have to resell it.

gojo, I have a buddy that graduated from Wake, that still has a house in Winston. He's there now actually. Maybe I'll pay him a visit, & give your car a listen. Thanks

Beast96Z, Bob @ Precision Porting gave me one hell of a deal on these heads. I paid no where close to what is listed on the site. There are a few guys on corvetteforum.com that have them, as well as numerous GTO guys, & they seem to be putting down some very inpressive numbers. I'll be sure to give my impression of them when I get them on. I guess I'll be sticking with the x3.

-Tucker
Old 09-20-2005, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TSDuke
Beast96Z, Bob @ Precision Porting gave me one hell of a deal on these heads. I paid no where close to what is listed on the site.
Not to throw water on your plan, but have you asked yourself WHY is he giving you such a great deal on these? I got a "deal" on a "great" set of heads about a year ago Cost me about double to get out of that mess and into something that worked..

Just some food for thought, I don't want to see someone else go through what I did....

Good Luck,
Old 09-20-2005, 08:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SideStep
Not to throw water on your plan, but have you asked yourself WHY is he giving you such a great deal on these? I got a "deal" on a "great" set of heads about a year ago Cost me about double to get out of that mess and into something that worked..

Just some food for thought, I don't want to see someone else go through what I did....

Good Luck,
Thanks for the heads up, but I know why I got a good deal. He sold them to me for a group purchase price, that had ended several months before. He also didn't charge me a core charge, & discounted them further because I had my own valve springs.

I appreciate all the input, but mainly I was concerned about my cam choice.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:54 AM
TECH Addict

I don't think you will benefit much using the FAST 90 MM intake manifold over a FAST 78 MM or a GM LS6 manifold. They perform better on bigger cubed motors.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Elite_Hot_Rod....stock cubes can benefit too. Depending on your goals and your combination the FAST 90mm intake can net quite a gain with a healthy sized cam and stock cubes, especially with aftermarket heads. You'll see most of the gain in the upper range and generally lose low end torque.

Thats what I've noticed...at least on setups that are carefully put together. To get a FAST just go get a FAST is not the right idea.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:53 AM
TECH Addict

Ok if you say so but from doing alot of reading on this subject on this board about the manifolds a 346 makes the same HPs if not better when using the FAST 78 MM or an LS6 manifold than they do using the 90MM manifold through out the RPM range without the torque loss of the 90MM on the low end.

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
Elite_Hot_Rod....stock cubes can benefit too. Depending on your goals and your combination the FAST 90mm intake can net quite a gain with a healthy sized cam and stock cubes, especially with aftermarket heads. You'll see most of the gain in the upper range and generally lose low end torque.

Thats what I've noticed...at least on setups that are carefully put together. To get a FAST just go get a FAST is not the right idea.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Max effort setups were what I was referring to. I think they can benefit from the 90mm in certain well-though out situations. Not all, but certain ones. If the person doesn't mind the loss in low-end for drag purposes then what does it matter?

Otherwise I agree wholeheartedly with you, most setups wouldn't need a FAST. I plan to stick with my LS6 intake for a while with my F13 as I don't want to sacrifice the low end.

I think the FAST 78 is a waste of money personally. LS6 or 90mm.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

gojo, I have a buddy that graduated from Wake, that still has a house in Winston. He's there now actually. Maybe I'll pay him a visit, & give your car a listen. Thanks

If you can manage try to come to the car show. It should be good.
Re: 90mm. From what I can tell the 90mm naysayers have no first hand experience. I picked up 25 horses when I had a 346, 228 cam, and 2.055 TEA heads, FLP headers. It's all about air and fuel and getting as much as you can through the engine, with the right combo of mods. Go with your plan, it looks good.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:30 PM
TECH Addict

I think you probably would have gotten the same gains with an LS6 intake manifold. I think I have plenty of experience with the FAST manifolds. Infact I have a FAST 90/90 for sale, you interested. lol.

Originally Posted by gojo
Re: 90mm. From what I can tell the 90mm naysayers have no first hand experience. I picked up 25 horses when I had a 346, 228 cam, and 2.055 TEA heads, FLP headers. It's all about air and fuel and getting as much as you can through the engine, with the right combo of mods. Go with your plan, it looks good.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Elite_Hot_Rod
I think you probably would have gotten the same gains with an LS6 intake manifold. I think I have plenty of experience with the FAST manifolds. Infact I have a FAST 90/90 for sale, you interested. lol.
You're getting excited. I did not single you out. I meant the many who repeat the same thinge you said about cubes. That's nonsense. You go with a bigger cam and LT's and put a plug on the front end?
My 2003 C5 had the LS6 intake. That's how they come. My car was used as a tester for NW's 90mm. The only change was the TB. Same dyno same day. No other changes. Also tested a P&P stock TB. No gain.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

The intake isn't really a concern for me at this point, as I'm sure I will have a FAST 90/90 on day soon.

My concerns lie with my cam choice. My heads are unmilled, I'm using stock thickness gaskets, & have no plans to flycutt the pistons. I just don't want to end up swapping cams because I made the wrong decision.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TSDuke
The intake isn't really a concern for me at this point, as I'm sure I will have a FAST 90/90 on day soon.

My concerns lie with my cam choice. My heads are unmilled, I'm using stock thickness gaskets, & have no plans to flycutt the pistons. I just don't want to end up swapping cams because I made the wrong decision.
I wish I had the answer. I had a 222, then a 228 and now the F13. Each of the first two made more power. I will dyno the F13 in about a month.
The X3 will probably make more power, but I have an A4 and have seen it in 6speeds. For me it's too much, but it's a matter of preference. Maybe you can find someone with an X3 and see for yourself. Nick has one in his car. If he's coming to the show, I'll let you know. You can judge 2 cams.