Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

need 15amp source for radio ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 04:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need 15amp source for radio ASAP

i need a 15amp constant power voltage source for my radio im installing. i don't know of anywhere under the dash with a constant power supply that can handle 15amps. im going by wire size here, so correct me. i know that there is a spot on the fuse panel that says batt, but i dunno how to connect to it. i need this ASAP
Old 09-21-2005, 04:56 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cig lighter comes to mind?
Old 09-21-2005, 05:03 PM
TECH Junkie

i thougth of that, but i use it constantly. i think i will use that for power for a temporary solution till i find a better one. the car book says to not exceed 15 amp on the cig lighter so im concerned that the cd player and something in the cig lighter will blow a fuse
Old 09-21-2005, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Phoenix57
i need a 15amp constant power voltage source for my radio im installing. i don't know of anywhere under the dash with a constant power supply that can handle 15amps. im going by wire size here, so correct me. i know that there is a spot on the fuse panel that says batt, but i dunno how to connect to it. i need this ASAP
Under the dash panel you will have two thick reds use one of them. They will be with your ignition wires. They should be 12 or 10 gauge wires, probably 30amp each.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:38 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Why do you need 15 amps? The wire you're connecting may be 16 gauge or even 14 gauge but I've never heard of a radio that requires 15 amps of current. And why a battery (constant) source? Usually the battery connection of a radio is only for maintaining the memory.

The BATT terminal in the fuse panel is designed for adding aftermarket accessories and is rated at 15 amps. You can route a wire through the dash to the back of the fuse panel. Remove the bolt that holds the fuse panel in place on the dash and rotate it out of the way so that you can bring the end of your wire through to the front of the panel then connect to the BATT terminal, add an external fuse, and put it all back together.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:51 PM
TECH Junkie

i got a clarion DXZ945MP cd player. it might not need 15amp, but its power supply has an inline 15amp fuse, thats what im basing the requirement on. it says to run it from the batt, but i ain't doin that. i prefer to have overkill on the wiring and have the fuse as the weak link instead of having the wire i tap into as the weak link. i might connect it in the fuse panel, i just couldn't figure out how to access the back of it
Old 09-21-2005, 08:32 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

The fuse panel also has IGN and ACCY terminals for adding accessories. Both are ignition controlled but the ACCY terminal continues to provide power during RAP operation (like the factory radio).
Old 09-21-2005, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

If you got the time I would take the dash down and run your wire to your ign wires. If you decide to go to the fusebox your basically pulling from something that requires a certain amperage and was not meant for anything else on that circuit. Chances are you probably wont be blowin fuses but its actually a shorter distance from the radio if you go to the column. Why dont you have a constant behind radio? Blown fuse? If you go to the column make sure that thing is fused.
If you need an accessory id go the column also. The brown will have power till door open.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:05 PM
TECH Junkie

this is a constant, the factory power wire jsut doesn't look big enough. this radio connects(with an adaptor) straight to the factory harness, but it also has a separate main power wire, one is connected to the factory power wire and it has a 5A inline fuse, and the second power wire has a 15A inline fuse. i will probably connect it to the fuse panel at the batt eventually. I hooked into the cig for power for now, but i doubt it will stay like that. (i love this radio already, it can do just about anything if you have the time)
Old 09-22-2005, 06:54 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by 02NBMSLPSS
If you got the time I would take the dash down and run your wire to your ign wires. If you decide to go to the fusebox your basically pulling from something that requires a certain amperage and was not meant for anything else on that circuit. Chances are you probably wont be blowin fuses but its actually a shorter distance from the radio if you go to the column. Why dont you have a constant behind radio? Blown fuse? If you go to the column make sure that thing is fused.
If you need an accessory id go the column also. The brown will have power till door open.
The terminals on the fuse panel that we are talking about aren't part of another circuit, they are extra terminals put there by GM specifically for adding accessories. Pull off the cover of your fuse panel and you will see the single terminals marked BATT, IGN, and ACCY.