New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is everyone's opinion on salvage title cars?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 12:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is everyone's opinion on salvage title cars?

Well my situation is im a college student so i cant afford an expensive *** z/28 or anything but instead of getting like a 98 w/ 175000 miles i found a couple 2000 z28s w/ 50kish miles and salvage titles but they only had body damage, no engine or frame damage and cars have been running fine since accident, for about 6 grand. i heard to just straight up stay away from salvage titles but if its just body damage is it ok? what do you guys think?
Old 09-22-2005, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have an uncle who fixes brand new salvaged cars and they come out perfect. He'll drive them for a while and then sell them... It really depends on who did the work on the car, but a salvage titled car can be good, I would just be really careful. I wouldn't pay much for it and also I wouldn't get it unless you plan on keeping it for a long time because you will have problems selling it because of the title.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:14 PM
On The Tree

cuts the value in half thats all i know
Old 09-22-2005, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It depends...

1. Are you hanging onto the car?
2. Whats the extent of damage?
3. How was the repair Job?
4. Why was it salvaged?

If you plan onto hanging onto the car then it may be a good idea to buy one, especially if price is a factor for your.

If it was light damage, but enough to salvage the car out, then it may be a good buy. If it was a bad accident then I would walk away.

How does the over all appearance of the car look? Body panels ok? etc etc etc

I personally wouldnt buy a car with a salvaged title unless I was fixing it. My Uncle has a partner and they fix salvaged cars and sell them. I used to help, and am pretty good at picking out cars that are "good buys".

The most important thing to look out for is frame damage. Depending on the extent of damage, its almost impossible to get back to where it was prior to the wreck. You can always get it close... but its gonna be hard to get it back right. My uncle also has a frame puller so I am pretty familiar with this process as well.

Realize a few things when purchasing a salvaged car...

1. The value is going to suck. Dont buy one unless you plan on keeping it
2. It's been in a wreck of some sort.... there are problems that are related to the wreck that may not pop up for a while
3. Most banks dont allow financing for salvaged cars
4. Even if it is within warranty range... manufacturers do not have to warranty salvaged vehicles
5. Value sucks...
Old 09-22-2005, 01:18 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by monicaz28
I have an uncle who fixes brand new salvaged cars and they come out perfect. He'll drive them for a while and then sell them... It really depends on who did the work on the car, but a salvage titled car can be good, I would just be really careful. I wouldn't pay much for it and also I wouldn't get it unless you plan on keeping it for a long time because you will have problems selling it because of the title.
My sentiments exactly.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

The car looks perfect. Paint looks brand new and all the panels are fine. It was in an accident 3 years ago and since has been running fine. 2000 z/28 for 7500...hmm i'm really thinking about it. And yes i would keep this car for a long time (till the new camaro comes out whenever that may be) Thanks for all the advice.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look into tire wear. My brother-in-law had a 94 Z28 that got hit right on the front passenger tire from somebody running a stop sign. Insurance totalled it, he bought it back with salvage title, spent quite a bit of money having a reputable shop fix it back up (frame straightening, almost all other body parts replaced with new pieces), but the car had serious tire wear problems, and several shops couldn't figure out why. We're talking new front tires were getting seriously cupped within about 5000 miles and being completely junk before hitting 10k miles. He sold it for decent money, but never told the buyer about the tire wear problems.

On the flip side, a buddy of ours bought a salvage M3 dirt cheap, but that was flood damage salvaged, no accident damage. On hot humid days it would still smell a bit musty inside the car, and there was a mildly off odor from the heat/AC for the first few minutes it was on after sitting a while, but for the money he paid this was very minor stuff.

Short version, there's always a chance you'll get a problem car, and there really isn't any recourse if you do get one of those.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's basically a crap shoot, some cases the car is fine, and you can't tell it was ever a salvage vehicle, other cases it's a huge PITA. For me it would depend on why it was salvaged (flood, fire, wreck, etc) the extent of the damage, and who fixed it. I've seen some cars totaled for hail damage, nothing wrong with them other than lots of little dents, a good PDR man could fix it no prob, I've also seen cars salvaged for salt water immersion (big probs later on)
If you do decide to get one of them, go in with eyes wide open, and a healthy dose of skeptisim about the owners assurances it drives great, and has been problem free
Good luck
Old 09-22-2005, 04:31 PM
Launching!

In most states that I know of, a car is granted a salvage title, when the cost to repair whatever damage was done is more 75% or more than the value of the car. IE $10k car with $7500 in damage = salvaged. That's just a general rule though.

I've got to agree with the guys above, I would not buy a salvage unless I was the one fixing it, or I knew the shop who was doing the work, and trusted them.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:49 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you should just wait your turn man, im sure there is a nice fbody somewere out ther for you, its ur call but im with the other guys, even on a salvage its not in the best shape/.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:54 PM
12 Second Club

i bought my SS with a salvaged title for 5,000 can runs great nothing wrong with it had it checked out by my shop that i own and nothing was wrong with it whoever fixed it did a pretty damn good job
Old 09-22-2005, 05:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look for Not Actual Mileage Title cars, my formula was a NAM title knocked almost 3 grand off the sticker. got it for 6250 , 6800 out the door
Old 09-22-2005, 06:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

supposedly it was only body damage. im waiting for pictures or proof of the extent of the damage/repairs before i buy anything. i am a broke college kid so this is gunna clean me out so i dunno about waiting for a nice *** fbod. i guess it depends how bad the crash was. thanks for the advice guys!