Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need a new clutch........need advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need a new clutch........need advice

I went to the track today, and found out some bad news that my clutch is slipping and will need to be replaced. I havent ever messed with clutches or trannies, so I'm asking for some help. I'm not gonna cam/spray it in the near future, so I wont need a crazy clutch. I have the stock 10-bolt rear end, and wont put on drag radials until sometime next year probably. Some people told me to go with the spec 3 clutch, but I've heard alot of mixed reviews. I was also told that the centerforce and ram hd clutches are good. What do you guys recommend for my mods, plus im gonna tighten the suspension up(lca's, sfc's) and maybe drag radials in the future?? This is my daily driver and goes to the track maybe once a month, if that much, so I would like a nice clutch that holds up for daily driving, but I can beat on it every once and a while. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:21 PM
Teching In

Default clutch reply

ive also heard bad things about the stage 3 clutch. ive drove a ls1 with it installed and i didnt like it. u also will have to upgrade your slave cylinder. my advice for u is the dual friction center force. i run it and its great. i put close to 500 horse to the wheel and it works great.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am leaning more towards the centerforce clutch or the ram hd clutch. Ive seen cars with both installed and their making way more power than me and holding up fine. What else would I need for the install?? Upgrade the slave, what about flywheel, or anything else like that?? Like I said before, I dont know much about clutches, so thats why I'm asking you guys.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bottled aggression
ive also heard bad things about the stage 3 clutch. ive drove a ls1 with it installed and i didnt like it. u also will have to upgrade your slave cylinder. my advice for u is the dual friction center force. i run it and its great. i put close to 500 horse to the wheel and it works great.
Upgrading the slave cylinder is highly recommended no matter what clutch you are going with, especially if its the original. The updated 01-02 slave is an improved version.

My vote goes to Spec, but besides that, I have read many terrible reviews of the centerforce clutch for LS1.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to consider the LS7 clutch setup if driveability is an issue for you. Parts are available now.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i just would like a clutch that doesnt give me problems on the street, dont mind a little chatter and a stiffer pedal, but dont want the problems some people have where their clutch is a PITA just to drive anywhere. I also want one that will hold up at the track when I decide to put some drag radials on it and do some suspension. I'm not making alot of power, and dont plan on upping the power for awhile, so I just want a nice streetable clutch that will handle the strip every once and a while.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone heard anything on the LuK Pro Gold clutch?? I think its the stage 2 model?? I was told it was a good clutch, that was also streetable and rated up to 550rwhp. Anyone have any experience with this clutch, or a similar one?? Anyone heard anything on this clutch and how it performs??
Old 09-28-2005, 02:37 AM
On The Tree

I have heard about Luk Pro Gold, it seems like a good clutch, but its for direct factory replacement. It is a heavy duty clutch, but never heard anyone who had it on their LS1.