Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do i need roller rockers with head/cam job

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 02:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do i need roller rockers with head/cam job

I'm getting some work done by redline racing.There charging 3,100 out the door for head cam w/roller rocks,tune ect.
Do i need the rockers,there 300.00,i want to skip them if there not any real power gain
Old 09-26-2005, 02:22 PM
11 Second Club

Are they "needed?" No. Will they give you an increase in power? That all depends on the roller rockers as, like with most everything else, they are not all created equal. I can vouch for the Crane Gold Quick-Lift roller rockers that they do provide increased power.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

everything I have read says stay with the stock rockers. Do a search theres lots of info out there for this one..
Old 09-26-2005, 02:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kilr12, as Xtrooper stated, crane rockers do make a difference.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by magius231
everything I have read says stay with the stock rockers. Do a search theres lots of info out there for this one..
Everything?! Then you must not have read the post before and after yours in this thread!
Old 09-26-2005, 03:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by XTrooper
Are they "needed?" No. Will they give you an increase in power? That all depends on the roller rockers as, like with most everything else, they are not all created equal. I can vouch for the Crane Gold Quick-Lift roller rockers that they do provide increased power.
I'd hope so since they are higher lift rockers than stock If I were you I'd stay with stock or get some stock ones that have been fixed (needle bearing issues) from nasty performance. If you have the money some jessels would be nice. But that's a lot of money. Most intermediate rocker packages add a lot of weight and cause issues. Ex. - Harland Sharps
Old 09-26-2005, 04:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm new to this game, but I was under the impression that, given quality components and a professionally done install, a full roller set-up made more power due to less friction. No?

Also, just from reading between the lines, it seems as though more than a few people aren't convinced that aftermarket components, especially valvetrain components, are any better than OEM.

I always thought that because aftermarket component manufacturers had the luxury of sitting back and scrutinizing the weak points of OEM components, and because OEM components are made in such vastly larger numbers, the aftermarket stuff couldn't help but be better....at least the aftermarket stuff with a solid, long-term good reputation.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 777
I'd hope so since they are higher lift rockers than stock
Yes, in my case they are higher ratio, but you should see increases with same ratio roller rockers as well, though naturally the gains will be less dramatic than with higher ratio ones.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1 already have rollers from the factory. The weak point is the bearings. Get yours redone by Harlan through nasty perf.----->

Originally Posted by bichin95redta
I'm new to this game, but I was under the impression that, given quality components and a professionally done install, a full roller set-up made more power due to less friction. No?

Also, just from reading between the lines, it seems as though more than a few people aren't convinced that aftermarket components, especially valvetrain components, are any better than OEM.

I always thought that because aftermarket component manufacturers had the luxury of sitting back and scrutinizing the weak points of OEM components, and because OEM components are made in such vastly larger numbers, the aftermarket stuff couldn't help but be better....at least the aftermarket stuff with a solid, long-term good reputation.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by gearheads78
LS1 already have rollers from the factory.
Well, that's partial true, but they aren't "roller rockers" when using the generally understood definition of that term, i.e., rocker arms with both roller fulcrums and roller tips. The stockers, as we all know, have plain stamped metal tips.

If you told someone you were selling them a set of "roller rockers" and sent them a set of OEM LS1 rockers, I think the buyer would be more than a little disappointed.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

The light (realy expensive) shaft mount rockers will work great. BUT they are expensive. I'm just saying that a lot of the budget shaft rockers are heavy and cause issues.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:49 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 777
The light (realy expensive) shaft mount rockers will work great. BUT they are expensive. I'm just saying that a lot of the budget shaft rockers are heavy and cause issues.
I agree. For the record, the Crane Gold rollers are only a few grams heavier than stock. Further, although as I mentioned earlier, I am using higher ratio rockers (Crane Quick-Lift 1.80's), immediately prior to them I had a set of SLP 1.85's in the motor which, as most of you know, are built by and are visually identical to the stockers. Even though the rocker arm ratio went down (from 1.85 to 1.80) with my swap from the SLP's to the Cranes, my output went up!

I gained 10 rwhp and 8 rwtq over my best with the SLP 1.85 OEM-type rockers with the Crane 1.80 Quick-Lift ones. Yeah, I'm a believer.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:48 AM
TECH Addict

10 RWHP just from going with roller-rockers? The only advantage to roller-rockers is a reduction in friction, part of your gains must have come from the increased ratio also.

Originally Posted by XTrooper
I gained 10 rwhp and 8 rwtq over my best with the SLP 1.85 OEM-type rockers with the Crane 1.80 Quick-Lift ones. Yeah, I'm a believer.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:22 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Elite_Hot_Rod
10 RWHP just from going with roller-rockers? The only advantage to roller-rockers is a reduction in friction, part of your gains must have come from the increased ratio also.
Actually, it was a decrease in ratio (1.85 to 1.80, actually 1.82), not an increase. I lost ~.010" of max. valve lift, but that doesn't tell the whole story.

The beauty of the Crane Quick-Lift rockers is that they have a variable ratio. They start off the valve seat with a ratio of 1.92. This drops to the advertised ratio of 1.80 (actually 1.82) at .200-.300" of valve lift and maintaiins this ratio until the valve starts to close and again reaches the .200-.300" of lift range. The ratio then increases again to 1.92 where it stays until the valve is seated. These roller rockers not only increase peak hp, but they increase power across the entire rpm range.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:35 AM
Staging Lane

Hmmmm,Some great info here.I need to see who makes the 0nes there using.They told me they were 300.00 .I'm sure crane is more.
I figured while i was getting it done might as well go with the rockres but not if there crap.I'll call them and let all know .
Old 09-27-2005, 09:48 AM
Staging Lane

Just called them,they are HS rockers in either 1.7 or 1.8.Think i might pass.