Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

in dash display

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 10:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default in dash display

I want one that is touch screen, has nav, and offers the option to replace several gauges...

So thats what i'm looking for.... what would you suggest and where is the best deal?
Old 09-30-2005, 01:14 AM
Launching!

Pioneer AVIC-N2 offers it all... 1999 retail, but about 1300 on ebay.

no warranty on ebay though.

You can get cheaper touch screens, but the nav unit will set you back about another grand. (retail anyway)
Old 10-03-2005, 11:40 PM
On The Tree

or find the n1 since the n2 is out now and save some money.. both are great units but they are motorized screens. i don't know of anything out there that is a double din full face style that offers guages of any kind.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:55 AM
On The Tree

I got the Alphine IVA-901 its not a touch screen due to the screen being one of the clearest screens. Heres the one i got http://www.shopping.com/xGS-alpine_iva_901 i paid 2500 for it really sharp images. But i remember seeing one i think pioneer makes that can show you your RPM, G's, and stuff like that that had built in DVD and NAV it looked pretty cool.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

put in a computer with a lilliput screen
Old 10-09-2005, 05:12 PM
TECH Resident

How handy are you with computers?, and are you comfortable with performing mild mods to your dash? If you are experienced, you can do all those functions using a computer mounted in-dash, and a touch-screen: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50883
Old 10-10-2005, 06:33 PM
Launching!

for a double din with the gauges try the avic-d1
Old 10-14-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Snootch
How handy are you with computers?, and are you comfortable with performing mild mods to your dash? If you are experienced, you can do all those functions using a computer mounted in-dash, and a touch-screen: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50883

That is the way to go. Run tuner software, music, nav all from one thing. Snootch's install is super clean too..I thought about this a while back and the only thing I didn't like was the AC controls. That's stopped me so far. In Texas, you use those a lot so glove box isn't so good but those blasted control lines are way short.

Anyhow thats what I would do...you could spend half what one of those pop out deals costs and have more functionality and still $$$ left over for your nav software. Dont forget internet...wardrive or actually get that verizon broadband wireless...but pop a wifi card into your PCI slot and you got a internet car. Mr. $2000 nav system cant do that! Then you wouldnt need nav software, you could have google earth.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BlkTARebel99
for a double din with the gauges try the avic-d1
our cars are only din and a half. not double din. so none of the eclipse and kenwood in-dash monitors would work.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:48 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LSfast1
our cars are only din and a half. not double din. so none of the eclipse and kenwood in-dash monitors would work.
Sure they would. All it would take are some VERY simple bezel modifications. There is plenty of room for a double din reciever (In my camaro anyway. I'm not sure about the TA).
Old 10-23-2005, 11:30 PM
TECH Regular

I am seriously going to consider this route now. ...
Old 10-24-2005, 01:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Now thats custom. Very good job.

I almost did this to my car but didnt (at the time) for a few reasons
1. Voltage input was not stable enough for a computer (setup transformer 12v to 110v)
2. Unsure how long a hard drive would last with the vibrations of day to day driving
3. Heat would be a issue, especially in the summer.

Its very custom though. How long have you had that installed?
Old 10-24-2005, 06:02 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
Now thats custom. Very good job.

I almost did this to my car but didnt (at the time) for a few reasons
1. Voltage input was not stable enough for a computer (setup transformer 12v to 110v)
2. Unsure how long a hard drive would last with the vibrations of day to day driving
3. Heat would be a issue, especially in the summer.

Its very custom though. How long have you had that installed?
I've had it Installed for about 2-1/2 months now. In fact, I just came back from a business trip lasting 1.5 months, and a 850 mile round trip. The system performed without a problem, and supplied constant music/navigation/XM Radio the whole time without a single hiccup. Two of the issues that I was worried about, and you just posted are not problems.
1. Voltage input is regulated by the M1-ATX power supply. It's a 12VDC to +3.3, +5, +12VDC ATX power supply built for the 12v automotive environment.
2. 3.5" Desktop hard drives are actually a lot more rugged than most people would think. There are a few members on Mp3car.com that have been in accidents, and the HDD kept playing, and they still use these drives today. The drives need to be mounted firmly to the car, on a vertical plane facing the front/rear of the vehicle. I have had no problems whatsoever with mine.
3. This is where I am having occasional problems. It seems that when the car is sitting in the hot FL. sun for 6+ hours, the interior temp goes past 100 dehrees or so. The dash cavity where the equipment is installed gets even hotter. Sometimes when the car has been sitting in the sun for a while, when I startup the car, the system won't boot. I just keep getting the BIOS splash screen. All I have to do is wait a little while, and cool the interior off, then it will boot. I'm going to work on a better cooling solution that will ensure the system boots every time.

Last edited by Snootch; 10-24-2005 at 06:07 AM.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thats really cool custom work. At the time that I was looking into this, back when flat screen first came out, the technology just wasnt out. Im glad to see its working out for you.

Now if we can just get a computer that boots instantly..like a pocket pc. Virtually no heat, instant boot and low power & voltage consumption. The only problem is the lack of space compared to your 250gig drive.