Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Time for an alignment......Boyce, Bill.........

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 05:41 PM
Tech Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for an alignment......Boyce, Bill.........

What were the caster, camber and toe settings for a good street set up?

Boyce, where is the place that you trust to do quality alignments?
Old 10-05-2005, 06:08 PM
10 Second Club

Aren't you going to Hooters Friday?

Bill posted road race alignment specs on here a while back. Search your feelings Luke......
Old 10-05-2005, 06:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Aren't you going to Hooters Friday?

Bill posted road race alignment specs on here a while back. Search your feelings Luke......
Yeah come on use the search button
Old 10-05-2005, 09:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Omni in Kirkland is who I use. in gruond rack can accomidate 1/4in of clearance They do ALOT of Porch's(spelled on pupose) ,Lambo's ,Ferrari's Vipers <Bimmers and any High end car you can think of

They do all my work at a fairly reasonable rate and do it perfect every time
Old 10-05-2005, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know who does great work down where you guys all are, but I do have some alignment suggestions

STREET

Toe-in: "0" toe-in, you can go 1/16 toe in if "tramming" bothers you, but it will not turn in as well
Camber: Negative 1/2 degree camber, You can go all the way to 1 degree negative without any noticeable wear problems, I've run 1 1/2 degree's negative on the street for a whole year and loved it. The tires still had acceptable wear. DO go at least 1/2 degree negative though. Don't let the alignment shop add in any "differential" camber settings to allow for road crown.
Caster: 4 1/2 degrees - again, DON'T allow the alignment shop to add in any "differential" alignment settings. You want the same on both sides

Don't take it to any high volume alignment shop i.e. Les Schwab etc. They will not give you what you ask for.

ROAD RACE

Toe-in: "0" toe-in to 1/16 toe OUT. If you toe it out it'll turn in like a monster, but will be a handful when trying to go straight. Especially under braking
Camber: 1/2 to 2 degree's or MORE negative camber. More is better on an fbody.
Caster: 4 1/2 degree's
Old 10-06-2005, 02:13 AM
Tech Addict

Beautiful! Thank you Bill.

Any suggestions for a shop up north?

There was a shop Boyce took his car for his ORR set up that did street cars too. A bit more than the fast food shops. But I'd rather pay more and trust the shop to do what I want.

And to you two you search button monkeys.......
Old 10-06-2005, 02:16 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Omni in Kirkland is who I use. in gruond rack can accomidate 1/4in of clearance They do ALOT of Porch's(spelled on pupose) ,Lambo's ,Ferrari's Vipers <Bimmers and any High end car you can think of

They do all my work at a fairly reasonable rate and do it perfect every time
cool, what kind of ballpark figure would i be looking at? 100? 200? i haven't had this done in over a decade to a car.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Rokko
What were the caster, camber and toe settings for a good street set up?

Boyce, where is the place that you trust to do quality alignments?
I asked Boyce this question a couple years back, he said that speedware motorsports in redmond was the place.

www.speedwaremotorsports.com
Old 10-06-2005, 08:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Rick they are usually under $100. the Number is 823-1511. They do not jump on any thing to fast but are worth the wait

I have heard speedware is good also.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:51 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Red Cell
I asked Boyce this question a couple years back, he said that speedware motorsports in redmond was the place.

www.speedwaremotorsports.com
Thats it!! Thanks Red Cell.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:52 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Rick they are usually under $100. the Number is 823-1511. They do not jump on any thing to fast but are worth the wait

I have heard speedware is good also.
Good things come to those who wait. Thanks for the info Ellis. I'll give them a shout.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:09 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Racehead
I don't know who does great work down where you guys all are, but I do have some alignment suggestions

STREET

Toe-in: "0" toe-in, you can go 1/16 toe in if "tramming" bothers you, but it will not turn in as well
Camber: Negative 1/2 degree camber, You can go all the way to 1 degree negative without any noticeable wear problems, I've run 1 1/2 degree's negative on the street for a whole year and loved it. The tires still had acceptable wear. DO go at least 1/2 degree negative though. Don't let the alignment shop add in any "differential" camber settings to allow for road crown.
Caster: 4 1/2 degrees - again, DON'T allow the alignment shop to add in any "differential" alignment settings. You want the same on both sides

Don't take it to any high volume alignment shop i.e. Les Schwab etc. They will not give you what you ask for.

ROAD RACE

Toe-in: "0" toe-in to 1/16 toe OUT. If you toe it out it'll turn in like a monster, but will be a handful when trying to go straight. Especially under braking
Camber: 1/2 to 2 degree's or MORE negative camber. More is better on an fbody.
Caster: 4 1/2 degree's
I went with as much negative camber as it would allow. The car only lets you go up to like -1.2 or something, the guy showed it to me, the bolt was all the way against the backside and there wasnt any more adjustment in it. Your right LewSchwab didnt like to do it and mocked me when I asked for the specs I did, but they did do it. I went with as much neg camber as possible zero toe and 4.5 on the caster. Car handles great cornering and wasnt that bad in a straight line. Les Schwab mocked me and told me the car would wander all over the freeway. It didn't. With the crown in the road the standard is a little toe to compensate for the falling off effect but with the ruts in the road its like a slot car race anyway. I didnt notice that much of a difference in straight line control as I'm always fighting to stay out of the ruts and on the high side.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
I went with as much negative camber as it would allow. The car only lets you go up to like -1.2 or something, the guy showed it to me, the bolt was all the way against the backside and there wasnt any more adjustment in it. Your right LewSchwab didnt like to do it and mocked me when I asked for the specs I did, but they did do it. I went with as much neg camber as possible zero toe and 4.5 on the caster. Car handles great cornering and wasnt that bad in a straight line. Les Schwab mocked me and told me the car would wander all over the freeway. It didn't. With the crown in the road the standard is a little toe to compensate for the falling off effect but with the ruts in the road its like a slot car race anyway. I didnt notice that much of a difference in straight line control as I'm always fighting to stay out of the ruts and on the high side.
Each fbody is a little differant as to how much negative camber it will allow you. The lower your car is, the more negative you can get. 1.2 is still pretty good. I'm sure turn in bite is nice My car is so low than I can get almost 2 degree's neg. Like I said, I ran 1 1/2 neg. for a whole year and loved it. I only changed it when I ran the PE130. 1/2 degree neg. is max for ORR, and I haven't changed it back yet.

BTW Les Schwab won't spend the extra time to make sure both sides are EXACT. They'll be close, but not spot on. At least this has been my experience. Also the print out they give you doesn't mean squat
Old 10-06-2005, 12:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

speedware was around 50.00 for the alignment.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

That is REALLY good for them. They are about as overpriced as it gets.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:19 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by howierd42
That is REALLY good for them. They are about as overpriced as it gets.
I think Boyce forgot the $1 in front of the 50. That's what it was last time I had my C5 done - and redone.... and redone. Finally took me half a day on the rack at Les Schwab to get it right (I know the kid doing the work).

Now I own the machine we did the work with. I bought it from Les when they upgraded. I've been dying to try it out so if anyone wants to give it a whirl, now's the time!
Old 10-06-2005, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

Me !!
Old 10-06-2005, 02:11 PM
Launching!

me 2!!
Old 10-06-2005, 02:20 PM
Tech Addict

me 3!!
Old 10-06-2005, 03:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

me 4!!!!

Quick Reply: Time for an alignment......Boyce, Bill.........