New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer sold me an 01 Z28 with fender sticking out past door - mean it was in a wreck?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer sold me an 01 Z28 with fender sticking out past door - mean it was in a wreck?

Okay, so I bought an '01 Z a few months back. At the time I didn't pay it much attention.......but noticed the the right front fender sticks out about an inch or so past the door close to the bottom.

Could this be because it was hit? I don't know why else......do I have legs to stand on with the dealer if in fact it was hit and they did not mention it?
Old 10-08-2005, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look under the fender right behind the front wheel and there should be a tab with 2 or three bolts in it pointing down towards the ground. Alot of time people will try to jack the car up from there and if they bent that tab it will cause the fender to stick out. A buddy of mine did this and he just took a pair of vice grips and bent it back straight. Be carful cause you can break the fiberglass. Then fender is supposed to stick out alittle but not a inch though. hope this helps
Old 10-08-2005, 10:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the fender mounting area just underneath the car. Mechanics freqently bend the metal mounting tab over when they lift the car. You should be able to remove the two screws, bend the metal back straight, then re-attach, and it will look fine. Hopefully it has not split the fender.

If you look at the area it says "do not lift".

Good luck.

Mike Jones
Old 10-08-2005, 11:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you tell me the VIN, I can run a CarFax report for you to see if there are any reported accidents / frame damage / etc.
I ran a report on an 02 Z28 the other day and it showed frame damage and a salvage title with under 5K on the clock.

As far as legal claims go, maybe. Look into the redhibition laws for your state / city. In Louisiana, if you buy a used vehicle which is sold as is with no guarantees of any kind, there are circumstances where you can legally pursue the seller and receive a full refund (with the return of the vehicle) or a reduction / partial refund of the sale price.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:40 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks, I'll PM you the vin.

Appreciate it
Old 10-09-2005, 12:07 AM
12 Second Club

its probably the fender being pushed out by some assclown not knowing where to put the jack.
Old 10-09-2005, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An inch is pretty far, the fender mount tab is probably completely cracked.

For a proper fix you're looking at a new fender and paint.

Absolutely does not mean the car was in a wreck.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Most wrecks won't show up on carfax.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My passengers side rear fender has been repainted, its barely noticable, but there was no info on the Carfax about a wreck.... although it did show the Not actual mileage title which saved me almost 3k
Old 10-09-2005, 03:44 PM
12 Second Club

if it doesn't show up on carfax , its not really worth worrying about , besides nothign sits perfect
Old 10-09-2005, 03:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bettydoll13
if it doesn't show up on carfax , its not really worth worrying about , besides nothign sits perfect
Old 10-09-2005, 03:59 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Luna
Old 10-09-2005, 04:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Here's the thing. If it was wrecked previously the dealer may not have known about it, and you will have a hell of a time proving that they did. The previous owner may have known that the accident wasn't showing up on carfax so he told the dealer that it was accident free.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:20 PM
TECH Junkie

BettyDoll> <Luna
Old 10-09-2005, 04:25 PM
TECH Regular

my camaro had serious accident, pretty much everything in the front suspension had to be replaced (hit in the wheel/fender), along with most of the front body panels - and it never showed up in carfax. I did tell the buyer about it and it was factored into the price.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:26 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Luna
BettyDoll> <Luna
Old 10-09-2005, 04:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by longdaddy

He's saying that if it doesn't show up on carfax that it isn't worth trying to get anything out of the dealer. The transaction is done, and the dealer probably has documentation stating it was accident free.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Luna....BettyDoll....grow up.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:00 PM
TECH Resident

You couldn't be more wrong.

Carfax has extremely limited access to information depending on what state you are in. There are a million carfax horror stories. DO NOT RELY ON CARFAX!

A vehicle history report doesn’t protect buyers at all. In fact, it ends up hurting them because they think they’re being protected,” said Bernard Brown, a Kansas City, Mo., attorney who specializes in automobile fraud cases and works with numerous consumer groups on vehicle safety issues, commenting on CARFAX and Experian Automotive, provider of the Autocheck product. These companies represent that their reports show whether vehicles have sustained “major accident damage” which is “untrue.”

Representatives of these companies concede that their databases aren’t perfect but say the reports are a valuable tool for consumers in researching a vehicle’s past.

LAWSUIT OVER HISTORY REPORTS
Approximately seven out of eight cars that have been in major wrecks will not show up,” said Brown. That is the central issue in a lawsuit filed recently in Tennessee on behalf of a Memphis auto dealer alleging that CARFAX markets its vehicle histories “in a manner which is unfair, false, deceptive and materially misleading.”

Among other things, the lawsuit filed by Memphis attorneys David McLaughlin and Frank Watson III on Oct. 28 alleges that the Fairfax, Va.-based company [CARFAX] does not have access to police accident reports in 23 states and that its vehicle histories “therefore are incomplete, inaccurate and/or unreliable.”

Representatives of CARFAX and Experian Automotive both declined to state specifically where they get their data, citing competitive concerns.

NO WAY TO CROSS-REFERENCE
But after MSNBC.com contacted motor vehicle departments and public safety officials in Texas and California — two of the states identified as not providing records to CARFAX in the Tennessee lawsuit, verified that no accident data linked to unique vehicle identification numbers (VINs) is currently provided to vendors.

Critics of the vehicle history reports also charge that some auto dealers use them to sell previously damaged autos and trucks to unsuspecting buyers.

Dale Irvin, a Kansas City, Mo., attorney, said he worked with Brown on a case in which a local dealership used a clean CARFAX report to sell his clients a pickup truck that had suffered more than $8,000 in damage in a previous wreck. Although the dealer, according to our expert witness, would have spotted the evidence of the prior wreck and repairs, by having a clean CARFAX (report) the dealer felt free to misrepresent the vehicle,” he said.

One industry insider, who spoke with MSNBC.com on condition of anonymity, said that while dealers typically claim to have been fooled by a clean vehicle history report when buyers come back with evidence that it was involved in a serious accident, such explanations don’t wash.

“When they buy those cars at auction, they can see an overspray (indicating major body work) from a mile away,” the source said. “I don’t think any legitimate car dealer could stay in business if that was the extent of their knowledge.”
Old 10-09-2005, 05:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Hmm...anyone know what states carfax does not have access to? I might try and brew up something myself.

Quick Reply: Dealer sold me an 01 Z28 with fender sticking out past door - mean it was in a wreck?