Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH350 Conversion need info...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 03:00 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TH350 Conversion need info...

Yes I read the sticky up top, but you have to sift through all the **** in there, speculation and opinion to try and determine what is fact. Here's what I need to know:

1) What length Lokar works nicely rather than being barely reachable?
1a) Any other dipsticks available/recommended? Seen Madman had one?

2) Who all carries speedo conversion kits? I heard Rossler might have something, and seen the parts numbers listing. I also seen where Gear Vendors uses a speedo adapter which include an electrical output?

3) What will need to modify in my HPTuned PCM, coming from the A4? Trans will be a RMVB w/ Trans Brake and 4000 stall. I know there are no electrical connections, so no "tuning" needed, but how to make it work w/o throwing DTC's?

Guess thats it for now. Thanks.

Charlie
Old 10-10-2005, 10:15 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I just did the swap from an M6 to a TH350.

Lokar 36" tube fits very wekk. I have mine on the fule rail and it looks great.

I got the trans done through Billingsly's trans shop. They did a great job on the VSS tail shaft for the TH350. I did need tuning to get the calibration right. The M6 uses a 17 tooth wheel but the A4 uses a 40 tooth wheel. My tailshaft has the 40 tooth wheel.

As for tuning, you will need a full tune to get this to work right. You have no PCM signal that the trans is in gear and has a load on the engine. Speed Inc. did the tune on mine. Jim did a great job. I do need to tend to the car some on a cold start. It takes a few seconds to get it to idle on it's own. Not a big deal just something I need to live with. I did have to have a few codes deleted for the M6. Not sure what you will need.

No track times on mine yet but I hope to have them soon.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:40 PM
Restricted User

Well, at least I am going from a A4 to A3, so the VSS shouldnt be too bad. Just need to figure out if its something I can put together, a kit to buy or a what?
Tuning wise, HPTuners and I will be great buddies until all this is right. Thought about ALL the codes, man there could be a lot of them assoc. with the swap too
Old 10-10-2005, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve Burger
I just did the swap from an M6 to a TH350.

Lokar 36" tube fits very wekk. I have mine on the fule rail and it looks great.

I got the trans done through Billingsly's trans shop. They did a great job on the VSS tail shaft for the TH350. I did need tuning to get the calibration right. The M6 uses a 17 tooth wheel but the A4 uses a 40 tooth wheel. My tailshaft has the 40 tooth wheel.

As for tuning, you will need a full tune to get this to work right. You have no PCM signal that the trans is in gear and has a load on the engine. Speed Inc. did the tune on mine. Jim did a great job. I do need to tend to the car some on a cold start. It takes a few seconds to get it to idle on it's own. Not a big deal just something I need to live with. I did have to have a few codes deleted for the M6. Not sure what you will need.

No track times on mine yet but I hope to have them soon.

Bob Alexander is the man, I have one of his transmissions in my car. I have a few friends who have been using him and have had no complaints. Glad to hear he got the speedo to work out for you, I talked to him about it a few months back. I think I am just going to say forget about it, and run no speedo, I'm not sure if there any adverse affects to doing so though?
Old 10-11-2005, 12:27 AM
Restricted User

What about tuning, other then speedo stuff, delete all trans codes, dont worry about them, what?
Old 10-11-2005, 12:48 PM
11 Second Club

speedo you can save some cash and use your front wheel sensor.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:15 PM
Restricted User

I could but, I want to retain the ABS BS and associated stuff, only cause my mission is to go as quick as I can with "real street trim" type of thing. I seen the write up and thought it was a great fall back plan. From what I was told, Rossler has speedo setup parts and maybe some others?
SUX2BU, what size tires do you run? 28? I am debating now on gearing for the new 9" I'm about to order.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:36 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CAT3
I could but, I want to retain the ABS BS and associated stuff, only cause my mission is to go as quick as I can with "real street trim" type of thing. I seen the write up and thought it was a great fall back plan. From what I was told, Rossler has speedo setup parts and maybe some others?
SUX2BU, what size tires do you run? 28? I am debating now on gearing for the new 9" I'm about to order.
For stock internals with the 4.10's i'm using 26" ET Drags. but i'm really maxing them out in the 1/4 mile. i hit 117 at around 6500. But i mostly race 1/8 mile cause the only 1/4 around is Texas motorplex and they are NEVER open.
So the 26's are perfect for he 1/8.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CAT3
What about tuning, other then speedo stuff, delete all trans codes, dont worry about them, what?
For Tuning issues you can have your PCM flashed to an M6 and thats what I did, worked great.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:35 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by SLVRZLS1
For Tuning issues you can have your PCM flashed to an M6 and thats what I did, worked great.
Really? Not being a smart ***, but seriously, I can just rewrite entire pcm with an M6 program, and then go from there? Fricken nice, since I was planning on rewriting the entire pcm to a 2002, which has a couple functions the 2000 pcm doesnt support. So, that means I could flash the 02 operating system and the M6 in one flash! Great.

Anyone else do this, or just tune a bunch of codes etc out?