New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pricing help for 99 SS with 14k miles?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 05:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pricing help for 99 SS with 14k miles?

What do you think a fair price for a 99 Camaro SS, NBM, 6sp, Mint condition, 14k miles, and leather? KBB puts the car at around $12k rated in "good" condition. Seeing as how the car is around 6-7 years old now, what do you think would be a fair price for this car, in imaculate condition? Thanks, Matt
Old 10-10-2005, 05:15 PM
Import Patrol

What I think is far:

Trade in, $13,500
Private Party, $18,000
Retail Price, $20,000
Old 10-10-2005, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

What is your reasoning behind your pricing? How did you come to that price?
Old 10-11-2005, 09:23 AM
12 Second Club

well my 1998 formula ws6 had 20,000 miles on it and we bought it with a 6 year warrenty and paid 16,000 , while this was a great deal , i would range the ss $9,000-$12,000 based on that, if you sold it to a dealer they would sell it for more, and trade in they'd probly give you ****, so try to sell it on ebay or do a personal trade or sell
Old 10-11-2005, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

That is what I thought the car would be worth, but the guy selling this car tried to tell me he turned down $24,000 for his 99 SS because it was worth more, I figured around $12k would be about right.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LilRichard
That is what I thought the car would be worth, but the guy selling this car tried to tell me he turned down $24,000 for his 99 SS because it was worth more, I figured around $12k would be about right.

Definately not $24,000. I would pay $10,000-$16,000 for that car depending on condition (in person).
Old 10-11-2005, 06:36 PM
TECH Regular

I paid 12k for my SS with 17k miles on the clock. Bought it back in November of 04.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:29 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the help guys, it looks that that guy was pretty unrealistic with what he thought his car was worth.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

That car would easily fetch $18,999 here, probably closer to $20k. It always amazes me the lowball prices I hear quoted here compared to ANYTHING I could find in the Northeast when I was searching for over a year.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

Who in their right mind would pay that much for a 99, it's not exactly a collectors car, they are a dime a dozen, granite one with low miles is a little harder to find. I may pay $18,900 for a hugger orange 99, or a SOM 01-02 but not for that car. I could see $14-$15k if you find the right buyer, but the car is 7 years old now. There was a guy on here trying to sell a silver 02 Ws6, M6 car, little over 2k miles, and he was asking around 20k last time I saw it and he had the car up here for a LONG time. These cars just don't pull that much money. Prove me wrong, find me a thread to a 99 car, non hugger orange, that sold on here for that much.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:46 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by LilRichard
Prove me wrong, find me a thread to a 99 car, non hugger orange, that sold on here for that much.
I would say that car should list for anywhere between $12-16K, depending on true condition.

Forget what cars you've never seen in person sell for on here, what really matters is the following:

1) Actual condition in person, not as advertised. I've looked at dozens of used F-bodies over the years. What I've seen is, many cars being claimed as "mint" with under 20K miles are actually pretty rough when you check them out in person. Many people that own these cars truely beat the **** out of them in every way. I've seen 15K mile cars that look like 50K mile cars. But then again, I am extremely picky, and even that is an understatement. Now, how important condition is to a buyer will range depending on the intended use. For some, so long as the paint has a good shine, body looks straight, and there are no huge blemishes it's good enough. For me, last time I was in the market I was looking for a car that was show quality, meaing never seen rain or snow, no signs of wear inside or out, etc.; bascially spotless. The type of car that's never even had the stock window washer fluid used or had the wipers turned on. I'm talking as close to assembly line perfect as is possibile for a car that's seen some low, perfect weather street miles (and it took me many months of searching to finally find this sort of car). To a source like KBB, this does not make the car worth any more than one that's seen a couple summers of rain driving and maybe a winter or two, but to me the value difference is huge. But that all depends on your goals for the car I guess. Want a real show quality car? Then you're going to have to pay a little more than 'book' value.

2) Who owns the car? If it's an original owner car, and they have all the paperwork on it from day one to present, this will increase the value in the eyes of some buyers (like myself). I'll pay a little more for a car when I can speak directly to the person that's been caring for it all it's life and get a feel for what sort of maintainence it has received and how it's been driven. Paperwork you get from an original owner is also a huge plus, I like having all the docs from a window sticker to all repair invoices.

If the car is at a dealer, you are basically in the dark about it's history. Even if they tell you some 'story' about the car and it's previous owners, it's likely to be a lie. Same can be said for a privately owned car that's had a few different owners.

3) Location. Prices that these cars actually sell at seems to really range from area to area in the US. Around Chicago, the prices seem higher than average. Furthermore, the price for a non-winter driven car in the midwest will also be higher because cars in that sort of condition are considerably more rare in the midwest than in somewhere like southern CA.

4) Stock or modded? This can swing either way in terms of value depending on what the buyer's plans are. Minor bolt-ons usually will have little effect, major mods obviously are of greater concern either way. If they plan to build a race car, then mechanical mods done properly might increase the value assuming they are mods the new owner would have done themselves anyway. On the other hand, if the mods are installed questionably (done by an unknown source, etc.) or they are cosmetic in nature, they will likey make the sale more difficult and possibly reduce value. If the buyer is looking for a show car, or a totally stock daily driver where premium reliability is of primary concern, then the bigger the mod the less it will be worth to the buyer.

Stock cars are generally easier to sell. Less potential hassle for the buyer regardless of their future intentions with the car.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:24 AM
Import Patrol

just based on what I have seen and heard about with ls1's with that low of mileage, probably get somewhere with those number with a ta over a camaro though
Old 10-14-2005, 12:51 PM
On The Tree

RPM WS6

I agree with you that every car is different and you can't judge a car over the internet, you need to see it in person. However, this guy was in Florida, and I am in ST. Louis so that was all I had to go on. He claimed the car was in Mint condition, but his idea of mint may be different than yours, or mine, so that is why I started out with blue book value having not seen the car in person and it being a dark car that is 7 years old now. He wanted to trade me straight up for an imaculate 04 Cobra with equal mileage. He claimed sombody offered him $24k for his car and he turned it down. I was just trying to make a point that some people on here are rediculous in what they think their cars are worth.