New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mod advice - intake and throttle body?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 06:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question mod advice - intake and throttle body?

Hey, guys. I was wondering if you could help me with this. I have a 2001 WS6, and I am seriously considering purchasing and having installed an LS6 intake. The questions I have are:

1. Have any of you guys done this? What has been your experience with it so far?
2. Will I need a new throttle body? (I don't think I do, but I'd like to hear from the experts.)
3. If I do go to a new throttle body, does anyone have any experience with the BBK 80mm throttle body? I've heard a few good things about it, but before investing in it I'd like to hear if any of you guys have it or know of someone who does.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:23 PM
On The Tree

You already have one.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:24 PM
TECH Junkie

all 01-02's came with the ls6 intake.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:29 PM
Teching In

Thank you. That means I don't have to make this $250 or so investment. I appreciate it guys.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:45 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i guess people dont read stickies that are entitled "PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING"....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139142
Old 10-13-2005, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Since you already have one... if your looking into modding. I'd look into a lid or exhaust first. Lid's are about 100 bucks and are a nice gain.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:09 AM
Banned

go with a lid and catback, that should help you for a while till you get some cash
Old 10-14-2005, 03:18 AM
Ric
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jrp
i guess people dont read stickies that are entitled "PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING"....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139142
I'd bet YOU were a newbie way, WAY back in the day. Did YOU join up expecting to have to search everything before posting??? I could do that on Google and save myself the headache of having to deal with similar minds.

Back on topic... welcome, bubba! Yeah, you can save your LS6 intake funds for a lid, or a catback. The catback will net you a meaner sound than stock with some good power gains as well. The lid(my first mod ) will remove all that baffle crap between the filter and MAF sensor, cleaning up your engine bay nicely, along with anywhere from 10-15 hp at the wheels(just so ya know... we like to use wheel hp/tq ratings for a real-world figure), along with this cool sucking sound when you hammer on it.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:21 AM
Ric
TECH Enthusiast

Wait a minute... is your car a Blackbird??? I just noticed the screen name and wondered. If so, you've already got at least a lid, GMMG exhaust, 3.73s, and lowered about 1".
Old 10-14-2005, 03:26 AM
Staging Lane

My advice to you is to ask questions and read about your motor. A great book to get if you want a bunch of info is "How To Build High-Performance Chevy LS1/LS6 V8's". It is a great book for newbies. It is way easy to learn from because it has a lot of pics, which is good if you get bored easily.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ric
I'd bet YOU were a newbie way, WAY back in the day. Did YOU join up expecting to have to search everything before posting??? I could do that on Google and save myself the headache of having to deal with similar minds.

Back on topic... welcome, bubba! Yeah, you can save your LS6 intake funds for a lid, or a catback. The catback will net you a meaner sound than stock with some good power gains as well. The lid(my first mod ) will remove all that baffle crap between the filter and MAF sensor, cleaning up your engine bay nicely, along with anywhere from 10-15 hp at the wheels(just so ya know... we like to use wheel hp/tq ratings for a real-world figure), along with this cool sucking sound when you hammer on it.
No one said to search. He said read the BRIGHT YELLOW THREADS AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE. When I was a newbie I didn't search, mostly because I didn't know there was one. (I know, stupid, because it's right there in front of you) However, I never missed the sticky's. They weren't even colorful then