Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New parts now low oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 08:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New parts now low oil pressure

I have completed my head/cam install and now getting crazy oil pressure. I am thinking its the lifters Lunati "Morel" lifters. I have LG G5X3 cam, Patriot Stage II heads w/patriot gold springs. LS6 ported pump "new oring", oring fit was double check prior to bolting pickup tube so I know thats not the problem. At idle with oil temp about 201 I get 25-30psi. But up to 5k+ goes to about 43psi. Also its not a sudden pressure when hitting high rpms it takes a second longer to build pressure.

One thing that I am not sure about my install was the lifters. I pointed the single oil hole on lifter to oil galley which could be causing excessive oil bleed off which makes oil shoot up to top of motor. I have heard that these lifters are known to cause lower oil pressure.

No knocking except from valvetrain those shaft rockers sure make lots more noise.

Would to much preload cause oil pressure to drop?
Would pointing oil hole on lifter to oil galley cause low oil pressure?

I am up to pointing lifter holes around and readusting valvetrain but not checking the pump itself to much work to just check. Maybe one of the last things I check.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hate to say it but the symptom your having is a sign of a "pinched" O-ring. when im cruising im at 42-43psi but at wot, it shoots up to 60 or so.
Ive read if it stays at or aroubn 45psi at wot, the oring is pinched.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:23 PM
10 Second Club

Where did you find info on the Morels lowering the oil pressure? I've just started my motor and it has low pressure also along with Morel lifters and Katech ported oil pump. The o ring is 100% not pinched.

John
Old 10-17-2005, 10:39 PM
11 Second Club

O ring!
This EXACT same thing happened to a car i did a cam install on. the oil pressure didn't follow the revs like normal it sort of floated.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:40 AM
Staging Lane

pinched o-ring or trash in the pickup....ive seen equal numbers of each on here. Mone was trash in the pickup. Lastly..do NOT spin that motor if you are not getting 10psi per 1000rpm. you will damage bearings that way. while i was having issues, i could keep it below 5k and have enough pressure, but anything above that was iffy, and i didnt take the chance.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

good thing to know..im gonna be pulling my oil pump soon too
Old 10-18-2005, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

I have been hearing that ported oil pumps will give you a reduced amount of pressure since its ported. You will have a increased amount of volume but a decreased pressure. They stated that you would be safe a WOT with 40-45psi since you have an increase of volume. They stated that if you have normal pump and had this lower pressure than you should be concerned.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:28 AM
Staging Lane

while this is true, what if you went from a ls1 to an ls6 oil pump?
Old 10-19-2005, 10:53 AM
On The Tree

This is frustrating. I cant an answer for the same problem. I have a tapping noise coming from the driver's side head and the oil pressure is like at 20-25 psi and goes up to 50-60 at WOT. I also have a ported LS6 oil pump that was installed when I did the MS3. I also did all the pushrods, springs, ti retainers and new double roller timing set. I dont understand why the tapping only happens after I drive the car. There is no noise when the car is turned on, it happens about 5 minutes into my drive. i thought it would be a spun bearing but the noise is not there all the time... Sorry for the hijack... I need help too.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:20 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 6spdpewterZ
This is frustrating. I cant an answer for the same problem. I have a tapping noise coming from the driver's side head and the oil pressure is like at 20-25 psi and goes up to 50-60 at WOT. I also have a ported LS6 oil pump that was installed when I did the MS3. I also did all the pushrods, springs, ti retainers and new double roller timing set. I dont understand why the tapping only happens after I drive the car. There is no noise when the car is turned on, it happens about 5 minutes into my drive. i thought it would be a spun bearing but the noise is not there all the time... Sorry for the hijack... I need help too.
O RING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the tapping noise is the lifters not getting enuff oil.