Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Help me build my dream garage

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 03:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help me build my dream garage

Im about to build a new garage if anyone has a real nice garage pics with unusual features or things that are often overlooked. I plan to install pvc airlines with fittings throughout, drop power cords, lift, halogen tube lighting, den off to the side, coated floors, insulated air compressor room, extended concrete downsloping covered area infront. Any others ideas would be helpful and pictures of others garages or workshops would be great. Thanks in advance. TSH
Old 10-17-2005, 04:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That sounds like it will be an awesome garage. You might want to check out http://ultimategarage.com/
for some ideas.
James
Old 10-18-2005, 06:13 PM
Teching In

dont use pvc airlines...they can shatter and are not to code..
Old 01-13-2006, 09:32 PM
Teching In

don't use pvc airlines no matter what they're rated! use sch40 or 80 stuff. i'd recommend fluorescent lighting... low power consumption and they don't give off massive amounts of heat like a halogen. don't forget to save some room for the kegarator!
Old 01-13-2006, 09:59 PM
Lame Excuse for a Photog

Well if it were a dream garage then....dyno. Aside from that some kind of drain right in the center and a slight slope towards it (just enough to make water run down it) so if you have any nasty spills hosing the garage off isnt out of the question. Theres also LED lighting if you've got the budget. Definitely a fully stocked industrial size (the INDUSTRIAL is the most important part) beer fridge. A wash sink with a pump filled with oil/grease removing hand cleaner. A parts cleaner (the circulated fluid for cleaning parts with the barrel under it cant think of the proper name). A computer with keyboard cover and Hi speed internet access (this comes in handy when you are doing something for the first time believe me). A phone with loud ringer.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:49 AM
Staging Lane

Lightbulb

Build it tall enough to put a hoist in.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The problem with a drain in the center of the garage is that, like water, sockets, bolts, nuts, creepers all roll down hill too. And a fine enough mesh to keep those things from going down the drain clogs with grease build up, the little piece of plastic bag one gets parts in, etc.

My shop has 10' side wall and it's not tall enough to install a lift.

Think about ventilation. A nice breeze on a hot summer day is priceless. So doors on opposite ended of the prevailing winds is a good idea.

Lot's of flourescent light. Low power draw, lot's of light, relatively cheap and they make no annoying buzzing noise. I have 16 8' fixtures in my 24x40 shop and an additional 8 4 footers for task lighting. There can NEVER be too much light.

Engineer the structure for overhead storage. Lot's of wasted space up there ...

Lot's and Lot's of space for shelving. Figure how much space you'll need and double it.

Tool box in the middle of the shop. Putting the tools at one end means a lot of the time, you'll be walking the length of the shop to get the next size up (or down) tool.

I will echo others about using PVC pipe as air line. It will get brittle over time and shatter at some point. And then plastic shards are being jetisoned at 100psi. I used natural gas pipe (black pipe).

I have broadband in my shop, along with cable TV, fridge and a phone. It is very handy.

For a workbench, I bought this kind of stuff ....

http://s7.sears.com/is-viewers/dynap...er.gif?300x300

Lots of room and even more precious storage ...
Old 01-14-2006, 09:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by canadaisintexas
Definitely a fully stocked industrial size (the INDUSTRIAL is the most important part) beer fridge.
Don't forget a heavy duty lock to keep your buddies out of your fridge, and a baseball bat to persuade them to get back to work and stop drinking.

Make it tall enough to put a car lift in about 12 tall if I recall, also look into in floor heating, it is supposed to be nice. Make sure you have a couple outlets for 220. Have lots of electrical sockets to plug into. Some that are high, some low. Put some in the ceiling to run un expected drop cords. An intercom w/ the house, in wall speakers to listen to the game wile working on your car. Oh, a spot for the helms manual, a phone list of autoparts stores/emegency #/pizza shops, and a spot for your fire extinguisher and first aid kit.

Just my suggestions.
Chris
Old 01-14-2006, 09:33 PM
Lame Excuse for a Photog

Originally Posted by prince xizor
Don't forget a heavy duty lock to keep your buddies out of your fridge, and a baseball bat to persuade them to get back to work and stop drinking.

or maybe a fridge/vending machine that way you can make some $ back when your buddys come to hang out in your new garage!
Old 02-01-2006, 06:28 PM

Slowly working on mine.

I need a lift.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:30 PM

Gonna do a Man Town in the 2nd floor. Big screen TV & fridge.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:06 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 5280ARM
Im about to build a new garage if anyone has a real nice garage pics with unusual features or things that are often overlooked. I plan to install pvc airlines with fittings throughout, drop power cords, lift, halogen tube lighting, den off to the side, coated floors, insulated air compressor room, extended concrete downsloping covered area infront. Any others ideas would be helpful and pictures of others garages or workshops would be great. Thanks in advance. TSH
Like others have said - nix the PVC pipe and use iron pipe. I would also nix the halogen and use flourescent lighting. Use PLENTY of lighting. Also run PLENTY of power to your shop - lots of outlets - consider running a 220V circuit if you ever plan on welding - it gives you more options.

I don't know where you live, but if you live anywhere where it gets hot - AC!!!
I imagine heater applies if you live anywhere cold - don't know about that - I live in Texas.

Also recommended are beer fridge, high speed internet access and TV.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Red2000SS
Like others have said - nix the PVC pipe and use iron pipe. I would also nix the halogen and use flourescent lighting. Use PLENTY of lighting. Also run PLENTY of power to your shop - lots of outlets - consider running a 220V circuit if you ever plan on welding - it gives you more options.

I don't know where you live, but if you live anywhere where it gets hot - AC!!!
I imagine heater applies if you live anywhere cold - don't know about that - I live in Texas.

Also recommended are beer fridge, high speed internet access and TV.
220V gives you more options on heaters (pretty nice in the wintertime in the midwest.) I personnally would go with a kegerator instead of a fridge. A nice smoker nearby is good for those weekends when it is all working on the car and having a gathering nothing like BBQ ribs and chicken when you do a H/C Swap.

Last edited by CashMoney; 02-04-2006 at 11:42 AM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 02-04-2006, 12:26 PM

www.garagejunkies.net
Old 02-04-2006, 12:41 PM
Launching!

I don't know what climate you are in but a heat pump mounted outside with the air handler in the attic are wonderful. If you are in a colder climate (like my Detroit area) a counterflow furnace to blow heat across the floor with the A/C condenser mounted outside is ideal.

I strongly urge you to use 8' long H.O. flourescent lights. The High Output versions provide great, efficient light without shadows and they also fire up in even the coldest temperatures.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:43 PM
Teching In

I built a 40x60 & wish Id done floor heat. Also think of ways to keep everything off of the floor. It makes cleaning easier. Such as wet & squeegy floor clean.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:38 PM
Launching!

i havnt took any recent pictures but no garage is complete without a 25 ft door for a monster truck just in case
Old 02-13-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Resident

Make the most out of the space, put everything you can on wheels.

Regular "tract home" garages are barely adequate but you can make them workable.
Attached Thumbnails Help me build my dream garage-welding-grille-small-.jpg   Help me build my dream garage-dscn3946-small-.jpg  
Old 02-13-2006, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

With a coated floor you're going to need to mop it. Get a nice industrial mop sink and a place to hang/store all your cleaning supplies. A good mop closet with sink and shelves should do it. Don't forget a mop and squeezer bucket. Big is good.

You'll want a little tin garbage can to put oil-dry in and put it somewhere handy.

You're going to need several fire extinguishers, at least one back or side way out for emergency egress, and a big-*** first aid kit.

Steel doors and big locks to help keep thieves at bay.

Big beer fridge. Big is good.

Quick Reply: Help me build my dream garage