Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Free Mods?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 12:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Free Mods?

i've been seeing posts about free mods and i was wondering what those are? are there any little tricks that i can do to free up horsepower on a 97 LT1? if you guys have any suggestions that'd be sweet thanks!

Ryan
Old 10-21-2005, 02:22 PM
10 Second Club

I'm not sure about LT1s, but LS1s have several free mods you can do. Like the Throttle Body bump-stop mod, which allows the TB blade to open 100% (~90% from the factory). The TB coolant by-pass mod is another where you disconnect the hot water hose from the TB (why put cold air into a TB that runs at 200*?). There there is the AIR & EGR delete. After that it's tuning & bolt-ons.

If your car is bone stock, Ellis, Jimbob or ____ can point you in the right direction what to do first.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:31 PM
TECH Addict

Throttle body bypass, descreen MAF, and taking the cat-back off are pretty much it besides weight reduction and the AIR and EGR. Descreening the MAF probably doesnt add much performance, and it's safer to leave it on in case something tries to get sucked into your engine besides air. You do have the SLP cold air intake right? Headers should be next, they really make the car start to wake up.

"Cheap" mods:
Throttle body airfoil
LT4 Knock Module
160º t-stat
Old 10-24-2005, 01:29 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
I'm not sure about LT1s, but LS1s have several free mods you can do. Like the Throttle Body bump-stop mod, which allows the TB blade to open 100% (~90% from the factory). The TB coolant by-pass mod is another where you disconnect the hot water hose from the TB (why put cold air into a TB that runs at 200*?). There there is the AIR & EGR delete. After that it's tuning & bolt-ons.

If your car is bone stock, Ellis, Jimbob or ____ can point you in the right direction what to do first.

How do you do that TB bump-stop mod?
What about the AIR & EGR delets? What does that do?
Old 10-24-2005, 08:02 AM
10 Second Club

I'm not sure if the LT1 tb needs the bump stop mod. On an LS1 when you open the tb all the way, the throttle mechanism hits a stop on the tb housing. And if you look at the blade position it's only open about 85-90% (tilted downward). So you just grind / file that surface a little to let it open 100% (flat).

The AIR really doesn't do that much except clean up the engine compartment. The EGR delete eliminates the hot exhaust air your motor sucks in at WOT. And a catch can in the PCV tube eliminates the oil it sucks in....but that costs $. Both can reduce knock.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can open up your airbox....
Old 10-25-2005, 01:42 AM
TECH Addict

Be careful with that TB bump stop mod though. If you file too much off you will throw a SES code. There is a post somewhere on tech that tells how to do it with a voltmeter and a dremel so you don't throw the code. I did it to mine. It is a pretty simple mod to do but you best shave just a bit off at a time. I might be able to help out if you need the tools. I am pretty sure I could find the post again if I had to.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:34 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by howierd42
Be careful with that TB bump stop mod though. If you file too much off you will throw a SES code. There is a post somewhere on tech that tells how to do it with a voltmeter and a dremel so you don't throw the code. I did it to mine. It is a pretty simple mod to do but you best shave just a bit off at a time. I might be able to help out if you need the tools. I am pretty sure I could find the post again if I had to.
I would love the help with the TB bump stop mod especially if you have the tools, I live in coupeville here on the island, and I havent got the slightest clue where kirkland is. Im not too good at working on cars but gimmie a broken plane and dammit ill fix it

Taking the cat back off... good Idea or bad? Is it easy and anyone know how?
Old 10-25-2005, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

Kirkland is east of Seattle. I would be able to help you out with just about all the free mods. We could probably just make a day of it. Only problem is that I am booked for the next couple of weeks with estate stuff (yes, still).
Old 10-26-2005, 04:12 AM
Launching!

Kirkland is east of Seattle. I would be able to help you out with just about all the free mods. We could probably just make a day of it. Only problem is that I am booked for the next couple of weeks with estate stuff (yes, still).
Well, My squadron is leaving again... for 2 weeks Ill be back on the 11th of Nov. Gimmie a call then and maybe we can get together.

Chris
360-632-3444
Old 10-27-2005, 01:03 AM
TECH Addict

PM me when you get back in the area. And have fun.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm on the LT1 you can make an intake for like $60 bucks I had it on my 93 until I decided I wanted it to look nicer and bought a K&N not a real difference in performance. If your cars an auto and you didn't have plans for crazy mods in the future I'd do converter and 3:73 gears first...If you have big plans you want to hold off because you are going to have to match them with that. But you could do a vig converter say 2600-2800 stall and 3:73's and the car would be ALOT different. Headers open it up but I really didn't notice any serious HP until I did the Heads and cam.

But I degress your question was free mods, the only one I'd mess with is the TB coolant bypass. I just cleaned a bunch of leaves off my MAF tonight I think I'd leave the screen in. That and the cheap intake if you don't already have the SLP one.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:49 AM
Launching!

PM me when you get back in the area. And have fun.
k. thanx ill try to have fun