Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Clay Bar Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 02:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clay Bar Help!!

ive searched and searched but couldnt seem to find an in-depth detailed instruction on the proper use of a clay bar. i bought the mothers clay bar set. It came with the caly bar, some detailing show wax spray, and some carnabeua wax but NO INSTRUCTIONS!!!. any help would be awesome, thanks!
Old 10-21-2005, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

As far as usig a clay bar... make sure you "lubricate the surface" I use soapy water on a sponge (car washing soap)
Old 10-21-2005, 02:44 PM
11 Second Club

Heres how you do it...clean the car, dry the car, spray the mothers detailing spray on the car in a small area (1' sq.) and work the clay bar over the paint until it feels smooth. You'll know when its time to move on to the next section (area will be smooth) and repeat process with detailing spray and clay bar. When you see the clay bar start to get dark (dirty), simply fold it over and repeat the process. After you've clayed the entire car, wash it again and wax it. There, if you follow these easy steps, she'll be as smooth as a baby's behind.

tip...make sure use keep the clay bar wet with the detailing spray
you can also clay your windows if they have water spots

I hope this helps...oh yeah, ice down you elbow after you're done...its time consuming, but your car will look great.

Last edited by PERFECT Z28; 10-25-2005 at 06:00 PM.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yep what he said^!!!!!
Old 10-21-2005, 05:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks guys, i will be trying this out very soon, ill post pictures as well!
Old 10-22-2005, 03:58 PM
TECH Resident

sorry to steal your thread but exactly how much claybar should I use???
I've heard not to use it all so how big of a piece should I tear off?
Old 10-22-2005, 04:01 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Go to Zainos homepage they have a lot of info on claybars.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by vMaster0fPuppets
sorry to steal your thread but exactly how much claybar should I use???
I've heard not to use it all so how big of a piece should I tear off?
it doesnt matter how big or small of a piece you use, you could cut the mothers bar into thirds, that size would prob be good. that way you have two more pieces in case you drop it!!
Old 10-22-2005, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

remember to wash the car after claying it also
Old 10-23-2005, 01:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by drummydummy
ive searched and searched but couldnt seem to find an in-depth detailed instruction on the proper use of a clay bar. i bought the mothers clay bar set. It came with the caly bar, some detailing show wax spray, and some carnabeua wax but NO INSTRUCTIONS!!!. any help would be awesome, thanks!
Your car will look great and smooth. I used it on my rear bumper and it removed a lot of dirt from the bumper that I thought was rust spots. I used Mother clay bar kit and followed the instruction and it worked out great, just need to do the whole car.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:42 AM
On The Tree

sup man. great advice was givin by PERFECT Z28. the only thing i would had is to wash the car after. sometimes the clay can leave a film behind. waxing the car taked it off but a wash is best after you clay. good luck.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

acording to the Autopia website the film that is left behind is to be buffed off using a microfiber towel...now when i clayed my z i had tons of that white film left and i buffed it up with a towel(like they side) then washed it and i believe it looked better than just washing the car with the film left on
Old 10-24-2005, 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

mother's clay bar is much much smaller than it used to be. same price tho. im majorly pissed
Old 10-24-2005, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99midnightZ
acording to the Autopia website the film that is left behind is to be buffed off using a microfiber towel...now when i clayed my z i had tons of that white film left and i buffed it up with a towel(like they side) then washed it and i believe it looked better than just washing the car with the film left on
i've noticed that when i clay (using meguiars), i was getting smudges (which i belive to be the 'film' you are referring to) when going over sharply curving parts of the surface (such as the nose of the car)... trying to get it off using clay only made it worse... the only way i found to get it off was to use a polish (i used 3M swirl mark remover). i never thought to just use a dry towel, but i'll have to try it next time.

and not to be another person to steal your thread, but is clay clay? or does the brand make a difference?i like to use premium stuff whenever possible (i currently use 3M polishes/waxes.... might switch to zaino cuz i'm getting a garage soon), but with the clay, the professional stuff only came in big packs.... i didn't want it to go bad, so i just picked up some meguiars at autozone cuz it was one bar.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by slayer_taunu
and not to be another person to steal your thread, but is clay clay? or does the brand make a difference?

In my experience, yes. I've used Mother's, Clay Magic, and Zaino and they've all been pretty much the same, aside from the color.

Just don't use Play-Doh and you should be fine.

-Mike
Old 10-25-2005, 07:22 AM
TECH Resident

So does it matter how much preassure you put onto the clay bar while claying the car?
Old 10-25-2005, 09:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CashMoney
So does it matter how much preassure you put onto the clay bar while claying the car?
In my experience, I hardly used any pressure and it was smooth. I guess it would depend on how "dirty" the surface is to actually get it smooth would depend on how much pressure to use.

The best advice I can give you is to just think of the clay as an eraser. The same as erasing pencil marks from paper.

Keep in mind to keep the surface that you are "erasing" well lubed (I use car wash soap and water in a spray bottle.) then you shouldnt run into those problems like the other guys stated with the film.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CashMoney
i've found that for the bulk of the car, light pressure is all you need to make it smooth as glass... however some baked on contaminants may take more attention.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:11 PM
TECH Addict

I wouldn't cut the bar at all.....it's already pretty small. The one I have is I think a mothers, I got it a while ago so I'm not sure. Since my TA is always garaged, covered, and washed/waxed to death, I haven't had to use it yet. But on my new Colorado pickup, the roof was as rough as sandpaper from sitting under a tree at the dealer lot. I used the bar with the quick detailer, and it worked perfectly. Just make sure to SOAK THE **** out of it with the detailer. The more the better. Without enough spray, you're just going to make scratches, which I found out the hard way. As far as pressure, try applying the same pressure as you would when buffing a lawer of wax off with a towel.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PERFECT Z28
Heres how you do it...clean the car, dry the car, spray the mothers detailing spray on the car in a small area (1' sq.) and work the clay bar over the paint until it feels smooth. You'll know when its time to move on to the next section (area will be smooth) and repeat process with detailing spray and clay bar. When you see the clay bar start to get dark (dirty), simply fold it over and repeat the process. After you've clayed the entire car, wash it again and wax it. There, if you follow these easy steps, she'll be as smooth as a baby's behind.

tip...make sure use keep the clay bar wet with the detailing spray
you can also clay your windows if they have water spots

I hope this helps...oh yeah, ice down you elbow after you're done...its time consuming, but your car will look great.
There's no real reason to wash a car after you clay it and before you wax it, a waste of time. You'd just be washing a car that is already clean from the wash before you clayed, then the clay itself. Just wash it, clay it, then wax right over the clay.

Quick Reply: Clay Bar Help!!