Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

clutch alignment tool?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 01:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default clutch alignment tool?

where cna i get a alignment tool for the clutch.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:57 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Contact Spec Clutches, they include one with all there clutches so they may be able to help you.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:02 AM
Banned

Dont use the crap stuff. those are plastic. The best tool to use for this is an input shaft from a broke tranny. You will thank the gods later if you can use one of these and stick with it. The best alignment you ever had.

Rick
Old 10-22-2005, 11:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Indeed, a real input shaft definitely rocks But the plastic ones can work well too, you just have to take your time and be a bit more patient. Make sure that alignment tool slips in and out of the pilot bearing EASILY. If you feel it drag *anywhere* loosen the pressure plate and recenter the clutch disc.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

wher to get one i dont have one
Old 10-23-2005, 07:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

any auto parts store should have one.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:51 AM
Launching!

If you still can't get one, I'll ship you the plastic one that came with my clutch for $10.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick@Synergy
Dont use the crap stuff. those are plastic. The best tool to use for this is an input shaft from a broke tranny. You will thank the gods later if you can use one of these and stick with it. The best alignment you ever had.

Rick

I used a plastic one that came with some clutch or another over the years and it's never worked well for me (ever, it's crap). The last LS1 clutch I did I had to pull the trans, remove the bell housing and start over. So, I found a deepwell socket that was a close fit, put a single wrap of electrical tape around it so it centered in the splines and put a 1/2" to 3/8" step down adaptor in it, and a 3/8 to 1/4" stepdown in that one. Then, I slid it into the disc, centered the adaptor on the radiused edge of the pilot bearing and tightened all the bolts. It works perfectly and uses stuff I already had (and was a far better alignment than anything I'd tried that was supposed to be a pilot tool). If you get a bit creative, you might save some money and get a better result.

Your results may vary, but I figured I'd share my approach.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:50 AM
TECH Resident

I've done 6 clutches now and never had a problem with the plastic ones. However the broken input shaft sounds like a great Idea.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

Just make sure you have like a friend or something hold it tight pressing "into" the motor while you tighten the bolts.... i learned that one the hard way
Old 10-24-2005, 04:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

The plastic ones work great - they've been working just fine for me for over 10 years. The key is you can't be care free when putting a car together. You can NOT just stuff the alignment tool in there, and begin playing Conan the Car Mechanic on the pressure plate bolts. You need to spend a couple minutes carefully centering the disc with the tool. You know you have it centered with there's virtually ZERO resistance when sliding the install tool into the pilot bearing/bushing.

Funny story, I had a friend over helping me with a transmission (he just rebuilt it for me) and he was preparing himself for the pain and agony of stabbing the transmission. With one of us on each side of the transmission (laying on our backs under the car) I simply asked "you got it? you ready?" He said yes, and in one smooth motion we picked it up and plopped the transmission into the bellhousing -- allllll they way in, completely flush. Needless to say he was a little shocked and impressed It pays to take your time with the clutch alignment.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:53 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Couldn't agree more.

The plastic tool isn't great, but it's worked just fine for me. I've done dozens of clutches in BMWs using them. Just like Brains said, take your time, and make sure it pulls in and out with EASE.

I've done a few T5s using an input shaft, ***** mint
Obviously the tolerances are there though. The plastic alignment tools get all beat up, etc. That's after a few times using the same one though.

Just take your time with it, and you will be all set.

Quick Reply: clutch alignment tool?