Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

2002 subs are 4 ohms???

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 01:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 subs are 4 ohms???

My pass. side sub is shot. I got a pair out of a Z28 (I know the TA is dual vioce and the Camaro is single, but meh...)
Anyway, when I pulled the orginal sub out of the backseat side panel, the back of it says its a 4 ohm speaker?
WTF??? I thought the subs were all 2 ohm?
I installed it anyway, and it sounds OK.
So what will happen by putting in a 2 ohm speaker, where a 4 ohm speaker used to be?
Old 10-22-2005, 03:31 PM
11 Second Club

By running a 2ohm speaker where a 4omh was you will put more of a load on the system by drawing more amperage from your headunit or amp, whichever you have powering the speaker.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:09 PM
12 Second Club

Hmmmmm....I guess I better get that out of there then.
I wonder if I have a 4 ohm amp? The subs are powered seperately by an amp that's by the spare tire, right? I'll have to look at that. If it is a 4 ohm, then that gives me a ton more choices when it comes to replacing the subs.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:43 PM
TECH Regular

Ive replaced those speakers 3 times, twice behind the passenger and once behind the driver seat. Those are a royal pain in the *** . The last one i replaced off of the warentee, cost me 67 dollars for a new speaker....
Old 10-22-2005, 05:01 PM
TECH Addict

the TA sub is dual voice coil 4ohm speaker. 4ohm per coil. Which makes the amp see 2ohm.
Old 10-22-2005, 07:37 PM
On The Tree

This is exactly what i have been wondering for a long time. Why cant I just parallel two 4 ohm speakers? The amp would see the 2 ohm load. Why wouldnt this work?
Old 10-22-2005, 08:10 PM
11 Second Club

WinMan, that would work.

Pewterpowre, I guess your fine the way it is. I didnt know that TA's have 4ohm dvc's.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by shouldaboughttheZ
the TA sub is dual voice coil 4ohm speaker. 4ohm per coil. Which makes the amp see 2ohm.

WRONG... there are 2 seperate channels going to each sub (1 for each vioce coil) and all impedance measuring I've done leads to them being totaly seperate for each other ( 4 seperate channels 2 goin gto each sub ) meaning the Amp sees a 4 ohm load on 4 channels not 2 channels at 2 ohms. I've seen the wiring diagram floating around eluding to 1 of the coils being 4 ohm and one being 2 ohm ... that's not right either. I've measured it .. 4 a piece and there is like 800K ohms of impedance between the 2 channels on the one speaker.

Pewterpowre- When you had the 2 ohm speaker hooked up to the system did you crank it? I'm debating on bridging the 2 channels to my single voice coil JL 6w0 (4 ohm) which would drop the 2 channels to 2 ohms. I don't listen to extreamly loud music alot but do crank it from time to time when the mood hits and I think I'm just going to use it till she blows then throw in a after market 2 ohm stable 2 channel amp. and rock those 6W0's the way they're supposed to be
Old 10-22-2005, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

OH and there's no such thing as a 4 ohm ... or any ohm AMP actually ... there is a minimum "load" the amp needs to remain stable and keep from going into overheat ... or blowing up and most decent amps on the market today are atleast 2 ohm "stable"

The Speaker is what sets the load depending on the impedance of the voice coil. the amp just supplies the current at what ever rate the speaker will let it ... 2 ohm voice coil draws more current faster than a 4 ohm coil will, etc ... etc...
Old 10-22-2005, 09:22 PM
12 Second Club

So I'm OK? I can leave that speaker in?
Cuz I think it sounds pretty damn good. I haven't cranked it yet, but when I was installing it, I played a CD with some heavy bass (50 cent, I think) played it kinda loud, and it sounded real good.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joe_kool315
WRONG... there are 2 seperate channels going to each sub (1 for each vioce coil) and all impedance measuring I've done leads to them being totaly seperate for each other ( 4 seperate channels 2 goin gto each sub ) meaning the Amp sees a 4 ohm load on 4 channels not 2 channels at 2 ohms. I've seen the wiring diagram floating around eluding to 1 of the coils being 4 ohm and one being 2 ohm ... that's not right either. I've measured it .. 4 a piece and there is like 800K ohms of impedance between the 2 channels on the one speaker.

Pewterpowre- When you had the 2 ohm speaker hooked up to the system did you crank it? I'm debating on bridging the 2 channels to my single voice coil JL 6w0 (4 ohm) which would drop the 2 channels to 2 ohms. I don't listen to extreamly loud music alot but do crank it from time to time when the mood hits and I think I'm just going to use it till she blows then throw in a after market 2 ohm stable 2 channel amp. and rock those 6W0's the way they're supposed to be
Ok. SO you are using that 800K measurement to say that the Channels are not tied together? That would be wrong also. Bridging the channels together doesn't mean you are going to see a low resistance.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:13 PM
11 Second Club

I have over two years of digital & analog electronics training. I know that the amps dont determine the ohms. Ohms is a load or resistance which draws different amounts of current through a circuit.

If you measured a speaker to have 800k *800 thousand ohms* there is something really wrong.

Last edited by DevonsZ; 10-22-2005 at 10:25 PM.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Richiec77
Ok. SO you are using that 800K measurement to say that the Channels are not tied together? That would be wrong also. Bridging the channels together doesn't mean you are going to see a low resistance.

You sir are exactly right

And Joe...hooking a JL 6w0 to the factory monsoon will sound terrible in my opinion. There is simply not enough power to push that "sub" to a reasonable excursion level. Its also not a free air driver, it requires a box
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...p?series_id=23

Heres a recommended power chart from JL Audio.

Old 10-23-2005, 02:00 AM
On The Tree

devonsz-please re-read my post ...

OK now that you know I said 800K ohms BETWEEN the 2 channels (voice coils) you understand better.

richiec77- if you consider 800k ohms bridged ... I've got some ocean front property in north Texas I'll sell you ... I'll give you a real good deal. muck like water ... electrons will follow the path of least resistance. if you have one path reading say 10 to 30 OHMS and another reading OH I don't know somewhere in the neighborhood of 800,000 OHMS ... where do you think 99% or better of those little electron guys are goin!

"OVER" 2 years ... of training...gosh ... I've only been TEACHING it for 2 years and 3 months. been working with it for better than 15 years .. OH yea and way back on the first year and a half of that 15 years ... I got some training too
Old 10-23-2005, 02:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
You sir are exactly right

And Joe...hooking a JL 6w0 to the factory monsoon will sound terrible in my opinion. There is simply not enough power to push that "sub" to a reasonable excursion level. Its also not a free air driver, it requires a box
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...p?series_id=23

Heres a recommended power chart from JL Audio.

I'll cross the 6W0 "bridge" when I got there. I do plan on glassing the cubby hole in the sail pannel area in that "should" give me an area approx 7" X 3 1/2 to 4" x 10 to 11" ... roughly ... not quite what they call for but close. I will be putting a amp on later but am going to use the monsoon for a while untill it gets' tired of being ran @ 2 ohms.

I do have the owners manual that came with them but thanks for the heads up.

Lastly ... when you BRIDGE something you're doing just that ... it SHOULD read almost a dead short perferably a dead short or you will not have equal power at both items being bridged. in TV's there are MANY areas that have high K or M ohms resistance that current never flows through ... just because it doesn't read completely open ... doesn't mean current will flow. If there is no where else for the current to go ... you will get some flow ... but minimaly and will generate alot of heat in the process.

I don't know about you but when I bridge 2 subs ... voice coils .. amp channels ... come to think about it ... ANYTHING ... they are connect DIRECTLY together with only the resistance of the connectiong wire between them.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by joe_kool315
Lastly ... when you BRIDGE something you're doing just that ... it SHOULD read almost a dead short perferably a dead short or you will not have equal power at both items being bridged. in TV's there are MANY areas that have high K or M ohms resistance that current never flows through ... just because it doesn't read completely open ... doesn't mean current will flow. If there is no where else for the current to go ... you will get some flow ... but minimaly and will generate alot of heat in the process.

I don't know about you but when I bridge 2 subs ... voice coils .. amp channels ... come to think about it ... ANYTHING ... they are connect DIRECTLY together with only the resistance of the connectiong wire between them.
What relevance does this have to the JLs in your car?

You do know that the voice coil electron resistance (measured in ohms) determines the electron flow (or resistance) that the amp sees. The amp itself does not determine the resistance. You make it sound as if you have a 800,000 ohm load which is ridiculous. On top of all of this the monsoon is not a bridgeable amplifier. It was designed to be two separate 4 ohm channels. In your training you must have also learned that two 4 ohm channels when bridged will read 1ohm of resistance at the amp level.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...In your training you must have also learned that two 4 ohm channels when bridged will read 1ohm of resistance at the amp level...

this statement is incomplete, and it is only valid if you are talking about a speaker with a 2Ω final impedance being connected to two bridged 4Ω channels.

if you connect a 4Ω speaker, each bridged channel would see 2Ω.
if you connect a 6Ω speaker, each bridged channel would see 3Ω.
if you connect a 8Ω speaker, each bridged channel would see 4Ω.

and so on, and so forth.....
Old 10-23-2005, 05:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
this statement is incomplete, and it is only valid if you are talking about a speaker with a 2Ω final impedance being connected to two bridged 4Ω channels.

if you connect a 4Ω speaker, each bridged channel would see 2Ω.
if you connect a 6Ω speaker, each bridged channel would see 3Ω.
if you connect a 8Ω speaker, each bridged channel would see 4Ω.

and so on, and so forth.....

Two 4 ohm coils in parallel = 2 ohms
Then once the amp is bridged then the amp will read the equivalent of a 1 ohm load. I belive were on the same page but your talking about single coils and im talking about dual voice coils.

if you connect a dual voice coil 4Ω speaker, each bridged channel would see 1Ω.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Two 4 ohm coils in parallel = 2 ohms
Then once the amp is bridged then the amp will read the equivalent of a 1 ohm load. I belive were on the same page but your talking about single coils and im talking about dual voice coils.

if you connect a dual voice coil 4Ω speaker, each bridged channel would see 1Ω.

yeah, that's why i said "final impedance", so as to try to avoid having to explain whether they are DVC or SVC.

i was just stating that your comment was incomplete, and did not specifically state that you were talking about a dual 4Ω speaker, so that anyone else reading this would be able to follow....it wasn't meant to be directed only at you
Old 10-23-2005, 09:43 AM
Launching!

In idiot's terms...
I think what Joe was trying to say was with the 800k ohm resistance, he didn't think that the subs in a T/A were wired in parallel to a single channel of the amp to make it see a 2ohm load. He (if I can speak for him), and I, believe that each voice coil is run off of it's own channel on the amp. This would make the Monsoon amp in a T/A a, what, 8 channel amp?!
I think that might mean people can stop looking for a 2 ohm speaker, or a dvc speaker to replace the factory blown speaker and a 4 ohm speaker will work just fine. But you'll only be using 2 of the 4 channels the amp has dedicated to the subs.

So if Pewterpowre were to wire these 2 channels to the svc 2 ohm speaker what would happen? Or should he just continue using 1 channel of the amp?