Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sending unit

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 08:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sending unit

got an autometer phanton trans temp gauge. my question is the direction say to drill the pan and put the sending unit in the pan my question is if one of the pressure ports are the same threads could i use that or would that be not a good idea.... by the way its a 700R4 trans. being that i have a 3000 stall i thought it would be a good idea to monitor the temps.. any advice would greatly be appreciated
Old 10-22-2005, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I remember reading a thread a few days ago, that said it'd be better to get the temp from the trans lines, I think the ones by the radiator -not sure. I think the thread is in the next few pages. Hope this helps, I too im planning on putting a temp sensor on my car, after two trannies its a must for me.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:06 PM
12 Second Club

i just read it again this is a 700r4 so i dont know if most of this apply's to me or not being that thread is about the 4l60e . i just dodnt want to nuke the trans again.. by the way i added a trans cooler out off a F350 peowerstroke recall that i aquired while working at a ford dealership. the damn thing is almost as big as my radiator..after modafying the front bumper supports and part of the core support,it fits in there nicely so much for ever decideing to put the a/c back in the car. but this thing isnt driven really just the ocassional weekend cruise and the local dragstrips...
Old 10-24-2005, 05:58 PM
11 Second Club

I would like to know this too, seeing as I put a 4k stall in my everyday driver and have been through 2 trannies as well. good post, hopefully someone has the answers
Old 10-24-2005, 07:30 PM
11 Second Club

well on the 4l60e just above the shift linkage there is a little bolt there same threads as the temp sending unit that came with ur gauge it will tread right in now on the 700r4 it should be the samei not 100% sure and yes this test port will read acurate temps thats where i put mine.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:30 PM
12 Second Club

thats where i decided to put mine right a bove the linkage at least i will have somewhat of an idea
Old 10-25-2005, 05:36 PM
11 Second Club

its pretty acurate let me tell ya
Old 10-26-2005, 09:19 PM
12 Second Club

one more question anyone have the wireing schematic for the gauge. i seem to have lost the directions
Old 10-27-2005, 10:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ponyeater01LS1
well on the 4l60e just above the shift linkage there is a little bolt there same threads as the temp sending unit that came with ur gauge it will tread right in now on the 700r4 it should be the samei not 100% sure and yes this test port will read acurate temps thats where i put mine.
This is a pressure port which is 1/8 NPT, the size of most temperature sending units.

SteveC
Old 10-27-2005, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

im putting mine in that same location. I did hear its better to take the temp at the trans cooler but i think the test port will be fine. Will check with auto tap and see how the two compair. heard its only like 10* off at most(big deal)
Old 10-27-2005, 05:20 PM
11 Second Club

AS FAR AS WIRING i grounded it on the driverside wheel well theres already a ground there i just tapped into it and the for the hot wire i just put a spade on the wire and stuck it in the empty ignition fuse spot easy as that, matter of fact all 3 of mine are wired into 1 wire then into that fuse spot
Old 10-27-2005, 07:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Smile

Originally Posted by BubaGumpShrimp
im putting mine in that same location. I did hear its better to take the temp at the trans cooler but i think the test port will be fine. Will check with auto tap and see how the two compair. heard its only like 10* off at most(big deal)
I respectfully disagree with taking the temperature at the transcooler, that is not the temperature of the fluid in the transmission, IMHO the pressure port gives you a far more accurate reading of the fluid in the transmission.

My friend plugged his "Auto Tap" into my vehicle, and with the car running, set one of the parameters for the trans temp, It was within 1 degree of what my Cyberdine digital gauge was reading.

SteveC
Old 10-27-2005, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanx for the input steve, was wondering if the test port was good enough as i seen other installs using that as the hook up.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SteveC
I respectfully disagree with taking the temperature at the transcooler, that is not the temperature of the fluid in the transmission, IMHO the pressure port gives you a far more accurate reading of the fluid in the transmission.

My friend plugged his "Auto Tap" into my vehicle, and with the car running, set one of the parameters for the trans temp, It was within 1 degree of what my Cyberdine digital gauge was reading.

SteveC
thats what i was thinking. after you get a reading from the sending unit if u put it by the cooler the fluid already cooled down a few degrees. so by haveing it in the trans you get the most accurate reading... thanks for everyone's input

nick